AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don't believe that that actually happened for that reason

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

It did. The commentators made reference to it multiple times before the feed was cut.

It is also why no stream of Brisbane v Gold Coast was allowed.

Last edited:
Nice little interview with Naomi Maidment on Port's womens's football program. Port are obviously looking to promote what we are doing on the potential AFLW front.

Let's get this ball rolling!

Watch the games, or just watch the scores and you can see a big gap opening up between the first 8 teams to enter the comp and the next 6 teams.

Well GWS of the original 8 is struggling this year and North has replaced them, but North were good in their first year in 2019 winning 5 games and missing out on finals because they were in the stronger conference and were top of their conference before covid cancelled the 2020 season.

It will be a tough first 2, 3 or 4 years for Port's AFLW team. It wont be like when Port entered the AFL and we could raid a decent talent pool in the SANFL, or Freo were able to raid the WAFL, we are going to have to go the GC and GWS route and get a whole lot of U/18's in for 2, 3 or 4 years, develop and get a few beltings along the way.

West Coast with all their resources is struggling to put together a top AFLW team. Only 1 win in each of their first two seasons and percentage of 40% or less in both years.

Watch the games, or just watch the scores and you can see a big gap opening up between the first 8 teams to enter the comp and the next 6 teams.

Well GWS of the original 8 is struggling this year and North has replaced them, but North were good in their first year in 2019 winning 5 games and missing out on finals because they were in the stronger conference and were top of their conference before covid cancelled the 2020 season.

It will be a tough first 2, 3 or 4 years for Port's AFLW team. It wont be like when Port entered the AFL and we could raid a decent talent pool in the SANFL, or Freo were able to raid the WAFL, we are going to have to go the GC and GWS route and get a whole lot of U/18's in for 2, 3 or 4 years, develop and get a few beltings along the way.

West Coast with all their resources is struggling to put together a top AFLW team. Only 1 win in each of their first two seasons and percentage of 40% or less in both years.
Isn’t there an expansion draft like there used to be in the American leagues? Picking one or two unprotected players from the other sides could be helpful.

Otherwise, we will need to get lucky with our Academy and with some recruiting in order to look respectful. Fair or not, there will be expectations.

This is essentially why we're being made to wait for a team, the AFL are hoping the talent pool rapidly expands so that the bottom half of the league can become much more competitive much quicker.

If we're smart, we'd be doing plenty of work over the next couple of years on the younger girls in the junior teams, scouting Gaelic football for talent, getting in the ear of some established AFLW stars, etc, to make sure we can hit the ground running as best as possible.

Isn’t there an expansion draft like there used to be in the American leagues? Picking one or two unprotected players from the other sides could be helpful.

Otherwise, we will need to get lucky with our Academy and with some recruiting in order to look respectful. Fair or not, there will be expectations.
There is some sort of draft that shares around the talent including pre draft signing periods for expansion teams, but I haven't followed the intricacies. It hasn't really helped 5 of the 6 expansion sides so far make up the gap.

I do know a bit about Katie Brennan who was considered one of the star female players before AFLW kicked off. She was a marquee signing by the Bulldogs, she stared in a couple of those Bulldogs v Melbourne representative games, which were like All Star games before AFLW started.

Everyone of the 8 original clubs could sign 2 marquee players before the first ever draft. She had some bad luck in the 2017 inaugural season with injuries and missed most of the games. She tried to pull some Human Rights gender discrimination BS in the 2nd season about a suspension. But before the 2019 draft for the 2020 season, there was a signing period for new clubs, she signed up for Richmond, signed as their captain. They also signed up star Brisbane player Sabrina Frederick as well.

But it hasn't really helped as they only have won 1 game out of 12 so far out of 2 seasons. The talent pool is shallow and the original clubs who held onto most of their experienced players and coaches have a huge advantage at the moment.

Last edited:
This is the number of wins per season so far in AFLW before finals are played.

You can see North were stiff to play in Conference A in its first season in 2019, and Geelong got to play in finals in 2019 because it finished second in a week Conference B. Teams played across conferences.

2017 and 2018 just had top 2 play in the GF. 2019 top 2 in two conferences play in semi final ie 1A v 2B and 1B v 2A semis and 2 winners played in the GF. 2020 season was abandoned after 6 of the 8 scheduled game.

Yellow = premiers, brown = grand finalist, blue = semi finalists and green and purple are who topped conferences when 2020 season was called off.

The top 6 sides play each other a lot in the last 3 rounds of 2021.
* 2 teams play 3 teams in the top 6 and
* 4 teams play 2 teams in the top 6.

1615267005051.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven Marshall on 5AA yesterday said he would tell Gillon McLachlan to grant Port Adelaide the next AFLW licence when they next spoke. He said Port are ready to go.

I haven't watched any AFLW footy at all this year, and have only ever watched for 4 or 5 minutes occasionally since its inception, so genuine question, has the standard improved?
I'm assuming it must have.

One comment re the player pool, unless the administrators of other women's sports (eg netball ) were asleep under a rock it had to be extremely obvious the AFLW teams were going to draw many of their players from a pool of women who were already active at a reasonably high level in other sports.

I haven't watched any AFLW footy at all this year, and have only ever watched for 4 or 5 minutes occasionally since its inception, so genuine question, has the standard improved?

One comment re the player pool, unless the administrators of other women's sports (eg netball ) were asleep under a rock it had to be extremely obvious the AFLW teams were going to draw many of their players from a pool of women who were already active at a reasonably high level in other sports.

The standard has improved a lot, especially with the teams that were there from the start. The more recent additions didn't have the same talent pool to draw from so they are playing first or second year standard football. The top end players like Phillips, Conti, Molloy, etc, are very watchable and the younger players who are being drafted now and have come through something of a pathway show real promise. In 5-10 years, it'll be a very entertaining product.

I've watched a fair few games each season. Improvement is being measured from a low standard of course, so yeah some teams or players have improved their standard in comparison to their first season but there are teams and players that exhibit the standards of the first season. Some teams can't play with much method and some teams have intermittent method to what they're doing.

Steven Marshall on 5AA yesterday said he would tell Gillon McLachlan to grant Port Adelaide the next AFLW licence when they next spoke. He said Port are ready to go.

I heard that - I yelled "and tell the prick to let Port wear the Prison Bars too!"

Its gone from boys under 10s standard to maybe under 12s. People think I'm ragging on it, but that, from what I have seen is about the standard. Most players can't kick over 30 metres.

You don't help yourself with hyperbolic comments like that.

So what happens to AFLW now that the main season has started? What happens to their ratings, crowds, TV coverage, media coverage in general?? Does it just become a filler? Are the AFL going to give the 5 finals clean air with no AFL games scheduled against it? It's just a weird end to the overlapping part of the season which will get worse as it expands to 18 teams.

So what happens to AFLW now that the main season has started? What happens to their ratings, crowds, TV coverage, media coverage in general?? Does it just become a filler? Are the AFL going to give the 5 finals clean air with no AFL games scheduled against it? It's just a weird end to the overlapping part of the season which will get worse as it expands to 18 teams.

It just makes so much sense to run it as a summer competition from say early December through mid March. Unfortunately, one of the perks of working in the AFL industry at HQ, clubs or media is the 4 months a year where you don't have to do stuff all so they wouldn't want to compromise that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back