Preview Practice Match: Crows vs Port, Saturday Feb 27/2/21 @ 11am

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Hawthorn model is difficult for us to implement, though, because it also involves those players winning 3 or 4 flags before given the friendly handshake on the way out the door to their twilight contract elsewhere.
Not the handshake and leave but play him half back or half forward .... if it was good enough for guns like hodge and Mitchell it’s good enough for Sloaney

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The good news is we nailed the 2020 draft but the bad news is that will take a while to flow through to results ( certainly not this year )

Ogilvie has made some great calls in his time but he’s also responsible for our 1 dimensional midfield , he really has struggled in that department

wouldn’t surprise me with what is going on with John Olsen on the front foot if they look to make a change, unless you’re Stephen Wells it’s prob good to refresh at times

I’m not saying this lightly and it’s really the first time I’ve thought a change is necessary

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The good news is we nailed the 2020 draft but the bad news is that will take a while to flow through to results ( certainly not this year )

Ogilvie has made some great calls in his time but he’s also responsible for our 1 dimensional midfield , he really has struggled in that department

wouldn’t surprise me with what is going on with John Olsen on the front foot if they look to make a change, unless you’re Stephen Wells it’s prob good to refresh at times

I’m not saying this lightly and it’s really the first time I’ve thought a change is necessary
Who can we put in his place, particularly with recruiting budgets taking some serious cuts across the comp ??

Port have done relatively well in the last few years, but there's no way they'll allow us to poach any of their bunch

McAsey wasn't anywhere near as bad as some people have been saying. Some good going back with the flight efforts from him. Looks like he hasn't stepped foot in the gym since we've drafted him though.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
McAsey wasn't anywhere near as bad as some people have been saying. Some good going back with the flight efforts from him. Looks like he hasn't stepped foot in the gym since we've drafted him though.
He's also trying to lead a defence, that's tough in a team like ours.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Who can we put in his place, particularly with recruiting budgets taking some serious cuts across the comp ??

Port have done relatively well in the last few years, but there's no way they'll allow us to poach any of their bunch
Don't reckon it would have been too hard to shake Boyd Woodcock loose from the Powa and IMO he's superior at this point in time to most of our small forwards given Lachie Murphy is essentially a small defender forced to play the small pressure forward role for us.

Still reckon Woodcock would be an easy get given he was delisted and then re-rookied. I was surprised he didn't go in the National Draft in his draft year after a stellar U18 year for the Roosters and SA. Bloody good on the weekend against us too.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Don't reckon it would have been too hard to shake Boyd Woodcock loose from the Powa and IMO he's superior at this point in time to most of our small forwards given Lachie Murphy is essentially a small defender forced to play the small pressure forward role for us.

Still reckon Woodcock would be an easy get given he was delisted and then re-rookied. I was surprised he didn't go in the National Draft in his draft year after a stellar U18 year for the Roosters and SA. Bloody good on the weekend against us too.
I meant as in a replacement for Haggis.

Woodcock certainly would be worth a look

jono23

Senior List
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Watching the match now.

Footskills are biggest difference between the sides. Port have guys like Houston, Hartlett, Burton, Amon, Rozee and Butters who are all exceptional users of the ball. We've got Sholl, Smith and Milera (whose career just ended yesterday).

Not good enough from a drafting point of view.
Don't criticise any of the players or anyone to do with the club mate, or else you'll get called a Port troll. :rolleyes: Just accept mediocrity.

Oct 1, 2004
The Bay
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Sorry if this has been asked but is there a way to view the reserve game vs port from Saturday? I’ve looked with no success and the AFC website is no use with this I believe

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

McAsey's biggest problem is that he seems unable to read the ball in the air. He constantly gets himself out of position. I'm actually not sure this is coachable- i think he just has poor instincts.

And he wasnt exactly being beaten up by veterans. He got comprehensively out contested by a guy who was drafted after him.

Back