AFLW Rnd 5 - Carlton v North Gameday

Jan 16, 2005
paradise
AFL Club
Carlton
Well i wandered down to York park to watch my first ever live game of AFLW, and it didn't dissapoint, the North girls played with intent, they went in hard and linked up all across the ground with precision kicking, and a great focal point up front..our girls however looked lost of ideas when their link up handball game was cut off every time before they went inside 50. but in their defence the umpires were just as confused out there as they were. I've said it before and i will say it again Harford is a terrible match day coach. For some reason he likes our girls to not start the first quarter...i guess he wants them to save their energy for the other three quarters.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Well i wandered down to York park to watch my first ever live game of AFLW, and it didn't dissapoint, the North girls played with intent, they went in hard and linked up all across the ground with precision kicking, and a great focal point up front..our girls however looked lost of ideas when their link up handball game was cut off every time before they went inside 50. but in their defence the umpires were just as confused out there as they were. I've said it before and i will say it again Harford is a terrible match day coach. For some reason he likes our girls to not start the first quarter...i guess he wants them to save their energy for the other three quarters.
Love seeing York Park instead of the other names it has been known by in recent years. Do share some questions over Harf’s coaching. We have a talented list, but lack some cohesion at time. Bit like the Ratten era relying on individualism.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Love seeing York Park instead of the other names it has been known by in recent years. Do share some questions over Harf’s coaching. We have a talented list, but lack some cohesion at time. Bit like the Ratten era relying on individualism.
Girls are gassed in the 4th because they can't hit targets and end up chasing all day. Can't fault endeavour. Skill errors, especially coming out of the backline are killing us.

Why was Stevens moved forward? She has been dangerous but I'd argue we need a cool head who can hit targets on the half backline more.

GalaxyBlue

All Australian
Apr 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
In Harf’s post-match pressers, and particularly in a snippet they showed of his post-Richmond match address to the team, you can tell he is just as frustrated by all this as we are. Something has changed between this season and last in the dynamics of the playing group, as I feel the players had more confidence in themselves and each other last year. Can’t just be losing the likes S Hosking and Dalton?

Anyway we were thoroughly outclassed by a deeper and more experienced midfield (if Garner doesn’t monster you, Kearney and/or Bruton will), and did ok to hold on as long as we did. Mimi Hill really stepping up, and good to see Darcy’s form continue.

Getting both Prespakis and Loynes back this week will definitely strengthen our midfield again. Should easily take care of the Cats at PP, but let’s not be too complacent ok?

Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Dalton and Walker were really so important to our success last year. In women's footy, an extra goal or two at the right time can change the nature of the whole match and they both regularly provided game-breaking moments. Hopefully, Brooke is back to play the last few games and give us a chance of making a run at finals.

Back