TV Rights

Yeah they showed all the ABL teams and yes it was poor quality but those grounds haven’t exactly got great vantage spots. Plus you’re not going to spend much on production costs for ABL.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
So according to the article the founder started the company at 25, he has about 130 followers on Instagram and he says stuff like, “I was working for my dad’s building company and was so bored on the job so one day I decided to start my own digital broadcasting company into Australia,” Azzopardi told Sporting News last year.

“Once I got all of that sorted I started contacting people; I just called up the UAE League and asked if they wanted to partner with an Australian digital broadcaster. That was the door that opened and then it took off.”

This sounds like having the potential to be the greatest April fools prank of the year. Like how Ali Dia fooled everyone into playing a Premier League match.

The one good thing/positive is Optus will/hopefully lower their prices now they have lost their biggest or 2nd biggest drawcard.

And just like that Optus Sport have a $68/6 month offer. Which doesn’t help because football is literally a year round sport because of international tournaments and qualifiers during the summer months lol.

I wonder if the guy even has the sustainability to keep this going long term?
Come a long way. In 8 months signing deal with sixth tier team to CL. In that article above he got bored working for his builder dad so decided to start a sports streaming company....easy

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
So according to the article the founder started the company at 25, he has about 130 followers on Instagram and he says stuff like, “I was working for my dad’s building company and was so bored on the job so one day I decided to start my own digital broadcasting company into Australia,” Azzopardi told Sporting News last year.

“Once I got all of that sorted I started contacting people; I just called up the UAE League and asked if they wanted to partner with an Australian digital broadcaster. That was the door that opened and then it took off.”

This sounds like having the potential to be the greatest April fools prank of the year. Like how Ali Dia fooled everyone into playing a Premier League match.

And just like that Optus Sport have a $68/6 month offer. Which doesn’t help because football is literally a year round sport because of international tournaments and qualifiers during the summer months lol.

Whos got the Euros if it is goimg ahead? Not much point having Optus during June / July, making the 6 month offer kind of redundant.

Kinda suspicious that a 25 year old son of a builder can outbid Optus for CL football. Not a great headline for Optus either, maybe he will just sell the rights back to Optus at a profit. Dont see how such a small company could have all the infrastructure in place for mass streaming of live football.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Whos got the Euros if it is goimg ahead? Not much point having Optus during June / July, making the 6 month offer kind of redundant.

Kinda suspicious that a 25 year old son of a builder can outbid Optus for CL football. Not a great headline for Optus either, maybe he will just sell the rights back to Optus at a profit. Dont see how such a small company could have all the infrastructure in place for mass streaming of live football.

Do you mean which broadcaster has the Euro’s? I would assume Optus Sport since the qualifiers are on Optus and it was going to be on Optus before it was cancelled last year.

Apparently Flick is an on demand service, which sounds ridiculous for a major tournament like the CL.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
They haven’t since Optus got the exclusive rights. Optus have the entire competition.

Oh right. Well that sucks. I firmly believe the Champions League final (at the very least) should be made part of the anti-siphoning TV sporting rights.

The whole situation stinks, and our Federal Government couldn't care less about Australia's Football Community..

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
Welcome back to 2015, when we cracked it over Foxtel starting to lose rights to an unknown sports streaming service.

Optus just got Optused - outbid by a nobody in the market.

Unless this mob go bust and can't pay the bills I wouldn't expect any co-share or on selling of games - as they'd lose any real reason for people to subscribe - unless it gets them more content, like the SBS/Optus WC for CL games

Welcome back to 2015, when we cracked it over Foxtel starting to lose rights to an unknown sports streaming service.

Optus just got Optused - outbid by a nobody in the market.

Unless this mob go bust and can't pay the bills I wouldn't expect any co-share or on selling of games - as they'd lose any real reason for people to subscribe - unless it gets them more content, like the SBS/Optus WC for CL games
There is a bit of a difference between Optus and a 4 month old company however.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There is a bit of a difference between Optus and a 4 month old company however.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the morning meeting where someone had to tell upper management Optus were outbid for CL rights by a 4 month old start up streaming service run by a bored 25 year old.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I would love to be a fly on the wall in the morning meeting where someone had to tell upper management Optus were outbid for CL rights by a 4 month old run by a bored 25 year old.

Apart from that article, nothing else has been said about this news. Even in the article the company declined to comment. I am taking the ‘see it to believe it’ approach because it all comes across as very weird.

Thinking about starting a sports streaming service, going to approach Bulgaria to see if they want to do a deal and then will bid on the EPL rights.

Anyone want in?

I am bored worker and my dad is also boring.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Thinking about starting a sports streaming service, going to approach Bulgaria to see if they won't to do a deal and then will bid on the EPL rights.

Anyone want in?

I am bored worker and my dad is also boring.

Ive already got one going. My first client is the North Korean Premier League. I just need a few investors to have a dip at the Championship rights.

Should be more fun than a mundane desk job.

This thing really is a joke. Optus and big media corps would know what reasonable price is based in ad revenue/further on selling etc. Not sure builders son will have much idea Surely it’s pending on checks of Flick business.

We can knock Optus but they may have simply been knocked by completely unreasonable offer

Ive already got one going. My first client is the North Korean Premier League. I just need a few investors to have a dip at the Championship rights.

Should be more fun than a mundane desk job.

Damn, I'm awaiting a response from North Korea.

I have firm interest from a Nigerian Prince for the Nigerian league rights.

This thing really is a joke. Optus and big media corps would know what reasonable price is based in ad revenue/further on selling etc. Not sure builders son will have much idea Surely it’s pending on checks of Flick business.

We can knock Optus but they may have simply been knocked by completely unreasonable offer

No different to what Optus did with Foxsports. FS thought they were all fine with the PL rights, bang Optus over the top. These blind bidding things are cancer.

No different to what Optus did with Foxsports. FS thought they were all fine with the PL rights, bang Optus over the top. These blind bidding things are cancer.
Yeah but Optus even though this was a new venture, are a huge organisation that has scale to absorb some of these costs. Mario Milano the builders son I don’t think would.

Back