Preview Hawthorn v North Melbourne AAMI Community series clash, Saturday March 6th 4.10pm at Arden Street

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The melts each week when teams drop and Finn isn't named is going to be pretty hilarious.

People were adamant for 12 months he was ready on the wing

Now he is struggling on the wing they are adamant he is ready as an inside mid.

I like Finn and i think he will be a player down the track but he would easily be the most overrated player on this list at the moment.

He is simply not getting games ahead of Jaeger, Mitchell, Worpel, Shiels, Cousins. He needs to be better than some of those players or add something to his game that none of those guys have. He doesn't have that at this stage but give him time.

As much as I dislike Gerard Healy he summed it up perfectly here

His fitness has held him back, but he looks like a top 10 player in the comp when he has the footy. But his fitness has held him back to this point. Apparently he’s put in the hard work and improved his running again.

This year he’ll benefit from having Cunners back. If this is a SuperCoach question I’d personally steer clear. He’s not a tackler, or a natural accumulator. He starts and finishes plays.

Otherwise he’s probably the guy most of us Norh fans are looking forward to watching develope this year.
Wasn't super coach related- more just a fan of the game.
Thanks for the response!

Would really like to see Downie play through the middle for a quarter - like a higher quarterback roaming around the center. The new man on the mark rule could really play in all long kickers favour

Finn reminds me a bit of jk3, when he is ready 4 footy he'll be ok. But he'll take awhile.

Jk3 was a rubbish afl player 4 us but couple of years later 4 the swans he became good then bloody good.

Not saying Finn will get near what he accomplished but he'll be serviceable 4 a while and is not a short midget like most of our midfield. So is a point of difference going forward.

Finn reminds me a bit of jk3, when he is ready 4 footy he'll be ok. But he'll take awhile.

Jk3 was a rubbish afl player 4 us but couple of years later 4 the swans he became good then bloody good.

Not saying Finn will get near what he accomplished but he'll be serviceable 4 a while and is not a short midget like most of our midfield. So is a point of difference going forward.
Jk3 was a great player at box hill. In fact he was prodigious ball getter. If Finn gets to that level he will be breaking the door down

I reckon with McGinness Phillips and Downie we are looking pretty OK in that area. Good pace/stamina too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So tix on sale to members tomorrow. How’s that work when no membership barcode?

Tickets are on sale through Ticketmaster - which is the portal for MyHawks, assuming there’d be a linkup there.

Yeah Kennedy's issue wasn't that he was no good, it was that he was stuck behind Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis and Sewell as an inside midfielder. It was the only role he could effectively play and we genuinely didn't need him there.

Finn needs to prove himself to be more versatile in the seconds and he'll get his chance.

From that Clarkson podcast Clarko was pretty clear Finn has some learning to do, but also that we would likely see him at afl level some stage during the season. Half a season with Sam Mitchell in his ear at box hill (after missing a season of development last year) and interested to see where Finn is at by mid year. If our midfield is struggling as much as last year he’ll find some opportunities as the season goes on.

Clarko was also pretty open that JOM and Mitchell need to be less one dimensional and find another position - not sure why it’s taking so long to figure this out. Until they do it also makes it hard for Finn etc to get a look in. Very different situation to say downie where we are short wing options or even Day (outside of scrim not many other classy users down back).

The ground is not a dump. Far from it, it's an immaculate playing surface. Where it is limited is its capacity to cater for large numbers of fans but I suppose that's the same if the Roos came to Waverley!
I watched Box Hill there in 2019 and there was definitely no fencing. The really amazing part was that there was no canteen or bar. Ol mate from a pub up the road rolled a couple of eskys down so we could at least have beer. Surface was good though.

From that Clarkson podcast Clarko was pretty clear Finn has some learning to do, but also that we would likely see him at afl level some stage during the season. Half a season with Sam Mitchell in his ear at box hill (after missing a season of development last year) and interested to see where Finn is at by mid year. If our midfield is struggling as much as last year he’ll find some opportunities as the season goes on.

Clarko was also pretty open that JOM and Mitchell need to be less one dimensional and find another position - not sure why it’s taking so long to figure this out. Until they do it also makes it hard for Finn etc to get a look in. Very different situation to say downie where we are short wing options or even Day (outside of scrim not many other classy users down back).
It is interesting to me that Clarko is stating that JOM and Mitchell need to be multidimensional players.

We were absolutely smashed out of the middle and around the stoppages last year so I feel like our biggest need right at the moment is to get contested ball winners in the middle. If we continually lose the centre breaks and clearances we will be behind the 8 ball for most games this year.

Given this is basically Mitchell and JOM's bread and butter it might speak to how little confidence Clarko has in our current midfield to do this?

I can see how a team that has a quality midfield unit with multiple high possession winners might need to farm out their excess mids to other positions on the ground (i.e. like Collingwood did with Phillips last year) but we are definetly not in that position at the Hawks at this very moment.

We essentially need all hands on deck in the middle to try and at least break even in the clearances.

Our inside midfielders don’t kick enough goals. It’s been an issue the last 3-4 years. We need a better spread of goal kickers.

If O’Brien and Hanrahan are going to be in the best 22 this year, then they need to average 2-3 scoring shots per game and to take some of the heat off Gunston and Breust.

It is interesting to me that Clarko is stating that JOM and Mitchell need to be multidimensional players.

We were absolutely smashed out of the middle and around the stoppages last year so I feel like our biggest need right at the moment is to get contested ball winners in the middle. If we continually lose the centre breaks and clearances we will be behind the 8 ball for most games this year.

Given this is basically Mitchell and JOM's bread and butter it might speak to how little confidence Clarko has in our current midfield to do this?

I can see how a team that has a quality midfield unit with multiple high possession winners might need to farm out their excess mids to other positions on the ground (i.e. like Collingwood did with Phillips last year) but we are definetly not in that position at the Hawks at this very moment.

We essentially need all hands on deck in the middle to try and at least break even in the clearances.

Only Sheils and Burgoyne anywhere near close to retirement

JOM Mitchell Impey Wingard Phillips in 24-27y range

Howe Worpel Morrison Cousins in 20-23

Day Maginness Downie Moore Morris u20

The mid age group is the 'weakest' but surely theres enough to work with?

Only Sheils and Burgoyne anywhere near close to retirement

JOM Mitchell Impey Wingard Phillips in 24-27y range

Howe Worpel Morrison Cousins in 20-23

Day Maginness Downie Moore Morris u20

The mid age group is the 'weakest' but surely theres enough to work with?
Compared to other teams such as the Bulldogs, Collingwood, Geelong and Eagles our midfield depth is lacking.

Maybe not in quantity but definetly quality.

Untill we can get a core group of say 5 to 7 good to elite midfielders we won't get close to the leading teams.

By my estimation we are probably currently running with say 2 to 4 good to elite mids and the rest are B to C grade (and that is being generous).

Compared to other teams such as the Bulldogs, Collingwood, Geelong and Eagles our midfield depth is lacking.

Maybe not in quantity but definetly quality.

Untill we can get a core group of say 5 to 7 good to elite midfielders we won't get close to the leading teams.

By my estimation we are probably currently running with say 2 to 4 good to elite mids and the rest are B to C grade (and that is being generous).
I'd argue that we have a similar quality to these mids, just in different aspects and at different stages of their development.
Collingwood/Geelong/WCE have significantly older midfields than us- who knows where players like Morrison, Worpel, Day, Maginness, Downie, Moore, Morris, Cuz, Howe will end up.
I'd say that we're probably at an appropriate stage in our development for a team looking to make finals 2022-2028.
Of course if we can pick up a young star like Sinn, Sonsie, Rachele or Horne public perception of our list will change dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back