Preview Practice Match: Crows vs Port, Saturday Feb 27/2/21 @ 11am

Remove this Banner Ad

McAsey's biggest problem is that he seems unable to read the ball in the air. He constantly gets himself out of position. I'm actually not sure this is coachable- i think he just has poor instincts.

And he wasnt exactly being beaten up by veterans. He got comprehensively out contested by a guy who was drafted after him.
It's weird cos I'm his draft year he was good at this from what I watched.

He literally looks like a 13 year old out there. He's outplayed in almost every contest. Struggles to keep his feet. He looks like he just wants the siren to go.

Just on fog.

I think he's going to have a hard time playing in this position over the next couple of years. As a forward he's a lead up player. He's not a focal point with a bomb and hope forward entry. Our next best forward entry at the moment is what you would describe as 'pure chance' as to where it ends up (unless it's coming from himself or Sholl).

When he gets it he's all class. I just don't know how we're going to get it to him. In a good team he'd be a gun.

McAsey's biggest problem is that he seems unable to read the ball in the air. He constantly gets himself out of position. I'm actually not sure this is coachable- i think he just has poor instincts.

And he wasnt exactly being beaten up by veterans. He got comprehensively out contested by a guy who was drafted after him.
This is not correct at all , one of his biggest strengths , it’s about body strength and positioning at this point

Just watched Q2. McAsey actually doing a few nice things and looking like he belongs.

I watched the second half yesterday. No one in our backline can take any blame for that onslaught. Our midfield was non existent in H2 yesterday.
Its amazing what happens when you watch a replay and take emotion away somewhat.

This is not correct at all , one of his biggest strengths , it’s about body strength and positioning at this point

You just saying it's one of his biggest strengths doesn't outweigh that he continuously fails at it.

There was one game last year where he just flat out missed a mark because he ran about 10 m forward of where the ball was landing. I genuinely wonder if he has eye problems.

I tend to agree with this. His ability to read the ball in the air was one of his major selling points when he got drafted.

When he was drafted people said that Brodie Smith's kicking was a weakness. Generally speaking you need to start assessing them on what they show on field once they're drafted and stop relying on scouting reports that rarely pan out.

He does not read the ball well compared to any number of young players we've had in the past in comparable roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he was drafted people said that Brodie Smith's kicking was a weakness. Generally speaking you need to start assessing them on what they show on field once they're drafted and stop relying on scouting reports that rarely pan out.

He does not read the ball well compared to any number of young players we've had in the past in comparable roles.
No , it means the strengths that they have , haven’t come to the fore yet for various reasons . Doesn’t mean they ever will but there is a strong possibility with greater body strength and confident they will . Still remember Phil Davis first few games a real struggle in his 2nd or 3rd year , it takes time as key position

I like that he actually goes for marks and has a crack at it when inwrxperienfed players would tend to play careful . The one he took as a forward last year is a prime example when he ran back with the flight , don’t tell me it’s not in there

Culturally, this year's AFC is no different than previous years. Nicks won't be an agent of change, he will have been the most aligned applicant. He was selected by Roo, Chapman and Fagan, how far from the norm would you exoect he could be? There's plenty of evidence already, Seedsman in at centre bounces again while there's talented kids not getting a crack, and in a trial game, is all the evidence required. Don Pyke v2.0, which is actually Neil Craig v3.0.
Oh God I'm depressed.
Will we ever get the Neil Craig stain off the club sheets? How did this bloke, who had zero success, still have such a lasting impact on the club??

Just on fog.

I think he's going to have a hard time playing in this position over the next couple of years. As a forward he's a lead up player. He's not a focal point with a bomb and hope forward entry. Our next best forward entry at the moment is what you would describe as 'pure chance' as to where it ends up (unless it's coming from himself or Sholl).

When he gets it he's all class. I just don't know how we're going to get it to him. In a good team he'd be a gun.
I agre that Fog could be a star but he needs good delivery. How many of our forwards kicked big scores last year with such a putrid midfield. I’m hoping Nicks isn’t going with the same this year or we will be bottom again.
I don’t mind finishing bottom if we play the kids with just one experienced mid in the centre bounce at a time. No more of this s**t like Laird, Sloane and Crouch every time, just one in there with a Shoeberg, Pedler, Berry or Jones.

McAsey reads the ball in the air better when he's up forward IMHO

Down back he gets caught between going to the ball (instinct) and combating his opponent (instruction). In two minds and struggles a bit. Plus obviously only a 2nd year physique.

I (tentatively) reckon he'll end up ok

At least he won't have suitors based on what he's shown so far :)

McAsey reads the ball in the air better when he's up forward IMHO

Down back he gets caught between going to the ball (instinct) and combating his opponent (instruction). In two minds and struggles a bit. Plus obviously only a 2nd year physique.

I (tentatively) reckon he'll end up ok

At least he won't have suitors based on what he's shown so far :)
We have much better options into the future up forward in Fogarty and Thilthorpe. McAsey if he makes it with us will be a CHB.

We have much better options into the future up forward in Fogarty and Thilthorpe. McAsey if he makes it with us will be a CHB.
True, but should we be trying Berg as an option in the backing too... as would be good to have some flexibility.

Culturally, this year's AFC is no different than previous years. Nicks won't be an agent of change, he will have been the most aligned applicant. He was selected by Roo, Chapman and Fagan, how far from the norm would you exoect he could be? There's plenty of evidence already, Seedsman in at centre bounces again while there's talented kids not getting a crack, and in a trial game, is all the evidence required. Don Pyke v2.0, which is actually Neil Craig v3.0.

Although I hope this isn't the case, there's been some worrying signs for me in that regard already.

No excuses with the amount of youth at our disposal this year.

Hopefully McAsey improves down back.

Probably only Thilthorpe that we can be confident of at this stage as a forward though.

Four goals in a SANFL Trial > five in an AFL game
I don't think Nick Gill is going to make it

I like and rate Fogarty but surely you're at least a bit worried about him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back