Mcasey and jones

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish. Dow has actually played pretty well this pre-season. Carlton supporter showed me some clips.
Dow has been in the system longer than Chayce, that’s why you never write off players after 2 seasons, one of which was severely compromised and had a massive impact on the development of younger players.

I'm in the "I think we need to give them time" group most of the time, but let's single out the ones everyone is worried about.

For me, in order:
  1. McAsey
    McAsey is showing some stuff I don't like to see. He ends up on the ground a lot, that is not good for a big guy. His disposal is not good at all. His decision making is questionable. He will need to really develop across multiple areas to be anything like what we thought we had.

2. Jones
    Jones is struggling to find his brand. When he plays half forward he looks very dangerous, but we seem to want to make him into a mid. I think we have plucked a couple of true midfielders in the last draft, happy to see Jones in the forward half where he can just play and have his 10 possessions and 1.5 goals per game. Feeling ok about him, just hope he finds his role and is allowed to blossom there.

3. McHenry
    Ned seems to have taken a step in the right direction this year. If he can go injury free and improve his effectiveness in front of goal he will be part of the best 22. Attitude is one of the hardest things to fix, he seems to have that covered. Learning his limits and playing within them will change his output significantly.
  4. Fogarty
    I'm one of Fog's biggest fans. I see so much there that is verging on elite, so much positive ... but he just is struggling to find enough opportunities to show it. Is that because of Tex taking his role? Are we trying to play him out of position? I'm not sure which 21 year old forward I would be swapping him with - he needs to keep building his craft and eventually he will be THE man in our forward line.

5. Himmelberg
    Elliot's ability to compete in the air, his second efforts, work on the ground and effectiveness as second ruck put him ahead of his nearest competitor. He showed his capabilities last year, he is building nicely. How he fits into a future forward line with McAdam, Fogarty and Thilthorpe I don't know!! He is too good to be backup in the SANFL, will find a new home if it comes to that imo.
That's my current position on these guys for the record (not that anyone cares what I think!) ... definitely all on "watch" but really only McAsey is worrying me at this stage.

I feel like Fogs biggest issue is that we play him in a super crowded forward line with Lynch and Walker who are kind of similar in the fact they are dead slow and cant compete in the air. 1 needs to sit out and it should not be Fog.
I'm in the "I think we need to give them time" group most of the time, but let's single out the ones everyone is worried about.

For me, in order:
  1. McAsey
    McAsey is showing some stuff I don't like to see. He ends up on the ground a lot, that is not good for a big guy. His disposal is not good at all. His decision making is questionable. He will need to really develop across multiple areas to be anything like what we thought we had.

2. Jones
    Jones is struggling to find his brand. When he plays half forward he looks very dangerous, but we seem to want to make him into a mid. I think we have plucked a couple of true midfielders in the last draft, happy to see Jones in the forward half where he can just play and have his 10 possessions and 1.5 goals per game. Feeling ok about him, just hope he finds his role and is allowed to blossom there.

3. McHenry
    Ned seems to have taken a step in the right direction this year. If he can go injury free and improve his effectiveness in front of goal he will be part of the best 22. Attitude is one of the hardest things to fix, he seems to have that covered. Learning his limits and playing within them will change his output significantly.
  4. Fogarty
    I'm one of Fog's biggest fans. I see so much there that is verging on elite, so much positive ... but he just is struggling to find enough opportunities to show it. Is that because of Tex taking his role? Are we trying to play him out of position? I'm not sure which 21 year old forward I would be swapping him with - he needs to keep building his craft and eventually he will be THE man in our forward line.

5. Himmelberg
    Elliot's ability to compete in the air, his second efforts, work on the ground and effectiveness as second ruck put him ahead of his nearest competitor. He showed his capabilities last year, he is building nicely. How he fits into a future forward line with McAdam, Fogarty and Thilthorpe I don't know!! He is too good to be backup in the SANFL, will find a new home if it comes to that imo.
That's my current position on these guys for the record (not that anyone cares what I think!) ... definitely all on "watch" but really only McAsey is worrying me at this stage.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Only position I can now see that suits Jones is wing.
Lets see his speed and endurance tested.
"Out run and out work your opponent up and down the field."
He has to get a couple of metres on his opponent in space and present as a option.
If there is a switch he has to be open.
Jones needs to start picking up some cheap possessions.
His real attribute is speed, his awareness and read of the game is average so become a link man who has a step or two on their opponent
and becomes dangerous at times by drifting into the forward line to hit the score board.
The trouble with Jones is he contributes little at present. Change the odds, get some confidence by touching the ball on the outside, run to space hard when we have the ball and see what happens.
I don't know what else he can try, outworking an opponent in a one on one position like wing might be his last chance.

Early days for McAsey but he seems to be unbalanced with a high centre of gravity, limited agility, lacking pace, go home factor and inadequate core strength. The last one can improve but its hard to see the rest getting better. Perhaps he needs to get on the trampoline like I think Chris Judd did. We manoeuvred the draft to get him from memory but struggling to see why.

He has to get a couple of metres on his opponent in space and present as a option.
His real attribute is speed, his awareness and read of the game is average so become a link man who has a step or two on their opponent
and becomes dangerous at times by drifting into the forward line to hit the score board.
The trouble with Jones is he contributes little at present. Change the odds, get some confidence by touching the ball on the outside, run to space hard when we have the ball and see what happens.
I don't know what else he can try, outworking an opponent in a one on one position like wing might be his last chance.
Watch the last (?) game in 2019 against the Bulldogs ... he has a good leap and a good shot at goal. He is quick and does have some mongrel.

I see a future forward line of:

Newchurch Thilthorpe Rowe​
Jones Fogarty McAdam​

Being pretty potent, with some nice variety.

How about play him as a midfielder with the only instruction "see ball, get ball" instead of filling his head with midfield structures etc, * the structures, go get the pill!!

I've watched quite a bit of his Tasmanian League footy and all of his Allies Championships football, and to put it mildly he was a dominant player in almost all games....that same player does not exist anymore, and I also saw something yesterday with Hately I did not like on several occasions in that he was more focused on his opponent than attacking the contest to win the pill at the centre bounces.

I'm not buying that he's not an AFL quality midfielder like some....we've stuffed this kid up to be blunt.

Just think we've overloaded them with information, they seem like the types that want to do everything right and by the book, they're so caught up in doing exactly what a coach or teammate says to impress them or follow the rules that they're no longer playing on instinct.

We've heard stories about how dedicated they are to being an AFL player, we probably think they're big sponges for info in reality they need a simpler message

Watch the last (?) game in 2019 against the Bulldogs ... he has a good leap and a good shot at goal. He is quick and does have some mongrel.

I see a future forward line of:

Newchurch Thilthorpe Rowe​
Jones Fogarty McAdam​

Being pretty potent, with some nice variety.
I liked the work Newchurch did up the ground yesterday where he had space to run. He’s not typical fwd pocket height in that he’s almost 6 ft. Can see him as an effective wingman in time with a build up in fitness

Back in the day, I remember how maligned Nathan Bock was early

sometimes you just have to wait it out and hope things turn out ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta say, was disappointed with Chayces game yesterday so I rewatched the game this morning on YT. Good thing about it is you can skip 10 sec by double tapping on the right side of the screen. Extra tap gives an extra 10 secs.

I counted 7 disp. He would have had another 2 had the kicker actually hit him on his lead and not missed him.

He got benched twice in Q1 and in Q2 he only came on 12min into the quarter, I think because Junior went off around then?

No excuses in the second half. He barely got benched but the team did get absolutely pantsed and we barely had any possession. When we did he always seemed to be on the opposite wing and we NEVER switched play.

Wing can be a tricky positon to play at times, holding structure can mean you go for periods without getting a look and then get benched with no reward. Other times, you have it on a string.

Chayce is going to have some frustrating games. At least this year if he gets dropped he will be able to go back and play SANFL in the guts and hopefully dominate a couple games like his game against Norwood in 2019.

Bock dropped so many chest marks he was non-affectionally known as Rubber Chest in his early days. Came good though to his credit.

Ball in hand Jones is good, appears to have good vision, skills And decision making. Unfortunately he just looks completely lost in how to find the footy.

Some are suggesting he should play forward, I think that’s a horrible idea, small forward us about the hardest place on the field to find the footy, especially if bereft of confidence. He probably needs to play small defender, clearly defined role, your opponent effectively finds you the footy.

Otherwise I think he just needs time in the midfield at SANFL level, build some confidence and go from there.

Not writing him off just yet.
Get him to follow M.Crouch and Hatley and get him to play just outside them so they can feed him the ball.

How about play him as a midfielder with the only instruction "see ball, get ball" instead of filling his head with midfield structures etc, fu** the structures, go get the pill!!

I've watched quite a bit of his Tasmanian League footy and all of his Allies Championships football, and to put it mildly he was a dominant player in almost all games....that same player does not exist anymore, and I also saw something yesterday with Hately I did not like on several occasions in that he was more focused on his opponent than attacking the contest to win the pill at the centre bounces.

I'm not buying that he's not an AFL quality midfielder like some....we've stuffed this kid up to be blunt.
I just don't see it.
I defer to you on his junior days but he doesn't have an instinctive game from what I've seen.
Football is a tough gig, the coaches will put whoever wins the ball in the middle and if Jones isn't productive they'll play someone else.
Play to his strengths and get some confidence in his game. He may well be a midfielder but I would be playing him on a wing to use that pace he possesses.

How about play him as a midfielder with the only instruction "see ball, get ball" instead of filling his head with midfield structures etc, fu** the structures, go get the pill!!

Spot on

Nathan Bock had all the athletic traits though saw him play foe the first time at that pre season trial against Norwood at the Parade and thought this Bock guy will be a gun and he was the issue was it took the Crows too long to realise even after that showing at the Parade.

Just caught up the replay and McAsey wasn't that bad.

Good luck playing key defence behind a slow midfield losing the clearances, which is in turn behind a forward line with 2-3 players who apply zero defensive pressure.

I would have kept Hartigan, so that McAsey could develop in the SANFL for most of this year, instead of setting him up to be embarrassed like this.

Likewise Jones should be playing centre square midfield in the SANFL. Then if/when he is dominant at SANFL level, promote him to play the same role in the AFL. Instead of getting bounced around to fail in 5 different ways at AFL level as he has been.

I'm not convinced that either has the talent to be a star, but regardless I think our management of them isn't helping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back