Preview Practice Match: Crows vs Port, Saturday Feb 27/2/21 @ 11am

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just watched the whole thing. Kept a close eye on McAsey and Hately.

Port were clinical for 95%. They're confident and know their game plan. The younger guys are still coming through seamlessly. Butters is a key player imo.

I didn't think we were terrible considering how outclassed we were and that we had a hard time getting uncontested footy. Still managed to create opportunities. Some good and bad signs.

Good:

Keays easily our best with ROB not far behind.

Have to say McHenry has surprised me so far. Looks handy and had a decent game.

Tex looking pretty good for a cooked old man.

Frampton has also surprised. I like Berg still, but he hasn't done heaps wrong tbh.

Hamill and Sholl had their moments but were in and out. They're our future play makers. Hamill not as sharp as Sholl, but he makes up for that with dash. Good picks from that draft.

Didn't think fog was too bad considering his opportunities. He makes the most of his touches.

I like Rowe. He'll be a player I reckon.

Bad:

It feels like Hately should come in and make a difference. He was a first round pick and has big biceps. The problem is he's very much a rookie on the field. He looks as inexperienced as he is. He's also not as strong as he looks. Had a couple of nice handballs but apart from that doesn't look too be close to it atm. Needs experience.

I've commented a lot on McAsey but one more thing I noticed was that he goes to ground at almost every contest. He's diabolical at keeping his feet and has a glacial recovery. In a normal team he would be sitting in the reserves for a few years imo. I would honestly rather try and throw Borlase to the wolves at this point. Can't be any worse.

Schoenbergs kicking has been poor so far. Good in traffic but needs to tidy that up.

Sloane is almost a non entity.

Jones looked back to his 2020 self already. Still focusing on too much and it doesn't suit him. Get the ball and run.

McPherson was okay but he's been sloppy so far. Not like him.

Milera huge loss given where his career is at and what he was looking to bring to our one dimensional and poorly skilled
Midfield.

Seedsman's numbers are too close together. Looks like a 1 from the distance.

Smith looking a bit like an old man so far.

Overall we're a bottom side who are very much in the midst of a rebuild not only of the playing group, but the staff as well. I think we'll do better than last year given a more stable game plan, but we won't do that much better. TT, Pedlar and Berry need to come in for half a season. It sounds like none of them had the pre season required to play a full year, but they're physically ready to get exposure and will probably add decent value to the 22.
I thought McPherson was close to BOG in internal but you’re right he wasn’t as good on sat

our midfield is by far the worst in the comp and Port dominated that part of the ground

I don’t think any of our first choice mids would start in centre square for any of the top 8-12 sides

notice Re Shoenberg that they are playing him as a high half forward trying to get some connection from him and a bit more run in that part of the ground . Wont be an easy position to play for him given he’s a natural ball hunter inside

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Berry did much better than Pedlar this week. I rewatched the first quarter carefully and noticed that Pedlar was a starting mid, but he did nothing at all in his first stint, mainly because he seemed to be very closely checked by the oppo. Then he was off for 10 minutes, came back on and was back to his normal self until the end of the quarter, mainly because he was more in the open, allowing his left foot to shine.
Did they rest him alot? I only saw glimpses of first game and he seemed to play limited minutes

would not surprise me if it was because he’s earmarked to play in main game this Sunday

I know I’m biased seeing I know Keays personally (hence my interest in this forum and the Crows in general) but for what it’s worth, he actually would have been picked higher than 24 if he wasn’t an academy selection. A lot of mock drafts at the time had him from 16-21. Although it’s clear everyone appreciates his high level play so far, don’t sleep on the fact this could be the norm from now on. Forget the whole rookie pick/delisted thing
He's making the most of his 2nd chance & has been one of our best performers since coming to the Crows.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He's making the most of his 2nd chance & has been one of our best performers since coming to the Crows.
There seems to be an assumption around the place that, based on how he came to us, that what we've seen so far is his ceiling / a bonus. I'm not sure that's true. I love the way he goes about it.

notice Re Shoenberg that they are playing him as a high half forward trying to get some connection from him and a bit more run in that part of the ground . Wont be an easy position to play for him given he’s a natural ball hunter inside

Playing a natural ball hunter at half forward while we're getting destroyed on the inside. * me this club is dumb.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Playing a natural ball hunter at half forward while we're getting destroyed on the inside. fu** me this club is dumb.
You do realise it was trial game?

Next week will be full the full on dress rehearsal for round 1.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Bit weird. I was watching the AFL practice replay through the AFC site and it suddenly stopped. When I refreshed it, the videos on the page had switched to the SANFL replays. I guess I left it too long to watch.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did they rest him alot? I only saw glimpses of first game and he seemed to play limited minutes

would not surprise me if it was because he’s earmarked to play in main game this Sunday
I watched the 1st half of the game this afternoon to keep an eye on Pedlar and he was often not around the play so I'm assuming his tog was pretty low.

Berry really stepped up and carried that midfield. He should also be in the frame this week. O'Connor also a pretty strong presence around the ball. His kicking isn't so great though.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Playing a natural ball hunter at half forward while we're getting destroyed on the inside. fu** me this club is dumb.
As good as Schoey is, his kicking is worse than those guys already in there at this stage of his career.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

It's got a fair bit to do with a limited pre season I think. I'd like to think he's going to play Sunday but I reckon Berry is more likely.

As good as Schoey is, his kicking is worse than those guys already in there at this stage of his career.

One problem at a time.

Port grabbing the ball and strolling out of the middle with all the worries of a kid wagging school is a far bigger issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
One problem at a time.

Port grabbing the ball and strolling out of the middle with all the worries of a kid wagging school is a far bigger issue.
True, I'm not sure he'd have helped too much at that mind you.

He's not quite there yet either.

CrowCro

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2010
Underdale
AFL Club
Adelaide
Meh... he showed less yesterday than McAsey did, and Fogarty has been in the system a lot longer.

I really hope he does make it, but so far there are very few positive signs as far as Fogarty is concerned.
Are you on drugs, he had a few nice plays in a team that could not get the ball forward cleanly. Lynch was the worst of the forwards yesterday. As for McAsey he has nothing that justifies his position in the draft. Very limited physical or football attributes and very slow

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Are you on drugs, he had a few nice plays in a team that could not get the ball forward cleanly. Lynch was the worst of the forwards yesterday. As for McAsey he has nothing that justifies his position in the draft. Very limited physical or football attributes and very slow
Not on drugs... but I'm wondering what you're smoking if you think Fogarty's performances to date have been in the same postcode as his position in the draft. Given that one player has been on the list for 12 months, and the other has been around for 3 years, McAsey's lack of performance is far less concerning than Fogarty's.

Lynch was poor - but he was one of the best in the internal trial, and he has credits in the bank after many years of performing at a high standard in the AFL. Fogarty has been abysmal in both trial games, and hasn't done a damn thing at AFL level to suggest that he's going to make it.

Based on what we've seen so far this year, our R1 forwards should be Tex, Thilthorpe & Frampton. Fogarty can play in the SANFL until he pulls his finger out, and Himmelberg clearly needs a reminder against complacency - he can't afford to drift, thinking that a handful of (very) good games in 2020 will count for much in 2021.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Meh... he showed less yesterday than McAsey did

You're joking right?

I haven't seen a player less ready to play afl than McAsey (in crows colours) and Saturdays game was no different. The guy needs to be plonked in the 2s to learn his craft and how to keep his feet. Getting embarrassed at every contest won't do him any favours.

Fogarty needed to get involved more, but he was all class when he had it and can at least win aerial 1v1s.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Just finished watching the SANFL Trial match from Saturday. It would have been nice to have at least one commentator who knew more than a handful of Crows players by sight. They all knew every single Port player, but were completely lost once they got beyond Berry, Thilthorpe, Strachan, Newchurch, Himmelberg and Borlase. The rest were all collectively referred to as "Adelaide Player", "Crow Player", or "Crows Player", unless/until they turned their backs to the camera, allowing the commentators to see their numbers and check the Football Record.

It really did make me appreciate Will Goodings' commentary the week before.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I am a little surprised to not see Lynch being tarred and feathered on here on his performance Saturday - I thought he was woeful - move Sloane out of the centre to his spot Lynch to SANFL -get Seedsman out onto a wing - Shoey into the centre and already we are improved.
Lynch only played only very limited minutes and pulled up with foot soreness again...

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am a little surprised to not see Lynch being tarred and feathered on here on his performance Saturday - I thought he was woeful - move Sloane out of the centre to his spot Lynch to SANFL -get Seedsman out onto a wing - Shoey into the centre and already we are improved.
He was horrendous , and not much better in the internal

don’t understand why he’d be playing pre / pre season games if he’s injured

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not on drugs... but I'm wondering what you're smoking if you think Fogarty's performances to date have been in the same postcode as his position in the draft. Given that one player has been on the list for 12 months, and the other has been around for 3 years, McAsey's lack of performance is far less concerning than Fogarty's.

Lynch was poor - but he was one of the best in the internal trial, and he has credits in the bank after many years of performing at a high standard in the AFL. Fogarty has been abysmal in both trial games, and hasn't done a damn thing at AFL level to suggest that he's going to make it.

Based on what we've seen so far this year, our R1 forwards should be Tex, Thilthorpe & Frampton. Fogarty can play in the SANFL until he pulls his finger out, and Himmelberg clearly needs a reminder against complacency - he can't afford to drift, thinking that a handful of (very) good games in 2020 will count for much in 2021.
Lynch was not good in the internal trial

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I watched the 1st half of the game this afternoon to keep an eye on Pedlar and he was often not around the play so I'm assuming his tog was pretty low.

Berry really stepped up and carried that midfield. He should also be in the frame this week. O'Connor also a pretty strong presence around the ball. His kicking isn't so great though.
It’s the sort of mids that Ogilvie likes to recruit ‘ strong presence around the ball but kicking not great ‘

also most of them are clones of each other and most don’t bounce out when ball leaves congestion either offensively or defensively

we need a change of thinking with our recruiting of midfielders

Back