Fixture 2021 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

McGowan is playing hard-ball over the WA border and there is a reasonable likelihood that the schedule is going to be impacted as early as the end of round 2. We are scheduled to play West Coast at Optus Stadium in Perth in round 3. I assume the AFL are going to be on top of this but I do wonder if this means another hub for the WA teams. Can't see them ripping up the schedule in terms of who plays who but this game could definitely be moved from Perth - which imo would definitely help us.

Not if it's played in Adelaide.

McGowan is playing hard-ball over the WA border and there is a reasonable likelihood that the schedule is going to be impacted as early as the end of round 2. We are scheduled to play West Coast at Optus Stadium in Perth in round 3. I assume the AFL are going to be on top of this but I do wonder if this means another hub for the WA teams. Can't see them ripping up the schedule in terms of who plays who but this game could definitely be moved from Perth - which imo would definitely help us.

McGowan is on record as recently as yesterday in saying that he expects border closures to continue for "at least another year". So take it as read that one case anywhere in the country will lock down that state and anyone who has been in that state from entering WA without quarantine for 28 days, even with the vaccine rolling out. The only option for the WA teams this year will be extended hubs both home and away.

McGowan is on record as recently as yesterday in saying that he expects border closures to continue for "at least another year". So take it as read that one case anywhere in the country will lock down that state and anyone who has been in that state from entering WA without quarantine for 28 days, even with the vaccine rolling out. The only option for the WA teams this year will be extended hubs both home and away.
They should just hub for the whole season or be removed from the competition for season 2021. It is not there AFL’s fault that McGowan is an idiot!

They should just hub for the whole season or be removed from the competition for season 2021. It is not there AFL’s fault that McGowan is an idiot!

By the same token, it's not West Coast or Freo's fault that their state's premier is a posturing, self important w***er.

Put them in the hubs now. McGowan won't bend, regardless of the state election or not. The AFL should step in and say this is how it is for the first 12 weeks of the season, if the Eagles or Dockers have a issue with it take it up with McGowan.

We just had to cancel a national meeting/conference at work because of the WA government's position. I say, drop WC and Freo off the comp for a season.

I used to think that but I reckon he's way too far down this ridiculous path to back down now.
I think his approval rating is at around 88%, so no gain in backing down. I was in Perth last week and overall they seem very happy with their COVID-free life and closed borders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but don’t expect Port Adelaide to get anything other than 1240 on Saturday or 1640 on Sunday.

we all know how it works.

well it will help our attendance with the 40k max, no point wasting blockbuster games this year

Rumoured that our game against Richmond in round 6 will be changed to a game against Carlton. What's the point? Both are Melbourne based teams subject to the same restrictions, or lack of.
There’s probably something to do with other rounds. For instance, it could allow Richmond to play a home game against someone else, while postponing a Carlton’s road game.

Checking the fixture:
R4, GC v. CAR — so there is that. However. Richmond also plays GC away (R16), thus that’s not the reason.

It would make more sense simply having GC playing against CAR in Melbourne, inverting R4 and R21 fixtures.

Last edited:
There’s probably something to do with other rounds. For instance, it could allow Richmond to play a home game against someone else, while postponing a Carlton’s road game.

Checking the fixture:
R4, GC v. CAR — so there is that. However. Richmond also plays GC away (R16), thus that’s not the reason. ...
There's no point changing round 6 to compensate for possible border closures as far ahead as R16. By round 16 Queensland may be open to all states except Victoria and Victoria may be in lock down.

If we play Carlton in round 4 instead of Richmond who and where do Richmond play in round 4?

... It would make more sense simply having GC playing against CAR in Melbourne, inverting R4 and R21 fixtures.
Yes, Gold Coast hub in Adelaide or Melbourne and play Carlton in Melbourne or Adelaide in round 4.

Round seven
Friday, April 30

Richmond v Western Bulldogs at the MCG, 7.50pm AEST

Saturday, May 1
Collingwood v Gold Coast at the MCG, 1.45pm AEST
Adelaide v GWS Giants at Adelaide Oval, 1.40pm ACST
St Kilda v Hawthorn at Marvel Stadium, 4.35pm AEST
Sydney v Geelong at the SCG, 7.25pm AEST
Brisbane v Port Adelaide at the Gabba, 7.25pm AEST

Sunday, May 2
North Melbourne v Melbourne at Blundstone Arena, 1.10pm AEST
Essendon v Carlton at the MCG, 3.20pm AEST