Training Preseason for season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Those I dont think will play Saturday, Hopefully we get a team list tomorrow

Long term injuries
Kennedy/Preuss

Recovering
Whitfield, Davis, Daniels, Briggs (I think?) Any others doubtful?

Not ready
Angwin, Shaw

Unsure
Reid, Keefe,

Looking forward to Hogan, Riccardi, Cumming and seeing how Flynn, Coniglio and Ward go

Those I dont think will play Saturday, Hopefully we get a team list tomorrow

Long term injuries
Kennedy/Preuss

Recovering
Whitfield, Davis, Daniels, Briggs (I think?) Any others doubtful?

Not ready
Angwin, Shaw

Unsure
Reid, Keefe,

Looking forward to Hogan, Riccardi, Cumming and seeing how Flynn, Coniglio and Ward go
Keeffe is better than unsure. He’s a lock to play on King in round 1.

What a day of footy

Starting with a scratch match against South followed by the Women’s playing in Melbourne for the 1st time in a very long time.

Watch Live: GIANTS v Swans https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/868518
Started a game day thread !

GWS GIANTS

B:
Lachie Ash, Phil Davis, Sam Taylor

HB: Nick Haynes, Lachie Keefe, Lachie Whitfield

C: Josh Kelly, Tim Taranto, Harry Perryman

HF: Toby Greene, Jake Riccardi, Harry Himmelberg

F: Bobby Hill, Jeremy Finlayson, Brent Daniels

FOLL: Matthew Flynn, Stephen Coniglio, Matt de Boer

I/C: Daniel Lloyd, Tom Green, Callan Ward, Jacob Hopper

Jesse Hogan’s quad setback leaves him in doubt for round one, while Braydon Preuss is a long way off given his shoulder injury. Matthew Flynn performed brilliantly in the scratch match against Sydney and is the obvious choice for Round 1 given the injuries to the tall brigade. Tanner Bruhn is right on the verge of selection after an impressive performance too and could snap up Daniel Lloyd’s spot on the interchange bench depending on form and need.

Better than other guesses I've seen, but ...
  • Daniels likely to be injured for Rd 1, so perhaps Tanner Bruhn a better chance to debut than noted here
  • Unsure if Lachie Whitfield will be ready for Rd 1
  • Not sure if de Boer will make round 1
  • Possibly Isaac Cumming to be in the frame for Rd 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah :( - computer problem cut off my last comment which was hoping not to see Keeffe in there!
If the forward line is floundering after 6 or 7 rounds (Hogan continually injured, Riccardi struggling with second year syndrome) I could support a case where Haynes is swung forward.

He has perhaps the best hands in the competition and has looked awesome every time he's gone down there (the Cats night game at KP a few years back springs to mind). That would mean the improved Keefe could play down back and Taylor moves to the Haynes interceptor role.

Still plenty of talent on the list but not the depth and also I can see issues with speed on the ground which has not been addressed over the last few years in the draft but also it hasnt helped with the players leaving which is also a drain on the clubs resources as they spend 2 years developing a player and then they leave to be replaced by another player needing development and this is one reason why the club is in the situation it is
I see this as a development year for the team and i am not ruling out finals but i feel a lot will need to go right for that to happen
Also i am surprised that the club has not announced the reserves players as they should have had several locked in before Xmas to be training and although the club has a strong academy this is so important for the development of the younger listed players and academy potentials
What i want to see this year
Good run with injuries
Re-sign key players Kelly, Ash, Hopper, Daniels, Riccardi
Modernise the game plan
Ward to defense as it is lacking experience
Games into Flynn, Briggs, Ash, Cumming, Green, Bruhn, Hill, Shipley, O'Halloran, Idun, Buckley This is to see if they have what it takes to make it as an AFL player
Reid and Buntine to just play in the East coast league (I wont call it the VFL as that name is more representative of it)
Develop Stone, Angwin, Shaw, Fleeton, Wehr, Hutchesson in the ECL
So that hopefully at the end of the season Kelly and others are signed and they can recruit what is missing for the team for 2022 and the 22 can be

Ash Davis Haynes
Cumming Taylor Idun
Whitfield Coniglio Kelly
Greene Riccardi Taranto
Hill Hogan Daniels
Preuss Green Hopper
Perryman Ward TOJ/HH Up for grabs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back