Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

In reality, it is usually supporters of the club who over-rate what their players are worth.

I rate him, but it's highly debatable Cerra would be a top 3 selections if the draft was held again, I'd say unlikely.

Naughton and Kelly 100% go ahead of him. Brayshaw and Balta more than likely do as well. He's more realistically in the next pack with Rayner, Davies-Uniacke, Worpel (more runs on the board, less potential than Cerra) and maybe a couple of others depending on who you speak with. There are also some talls from that draft who look promising that I think clubs would consider too, but he's probably at the back end of the top 10 now.
I don’t know - I thought Naughton was pretty average last season. He’s got a bit to prove yet. Questionable injury record too. Balta looks good granted, but he’s playing in the best side in the competition last 2 years which is always gonna make him look better. Tim Kelly - no club is ever drafting a 23 year old at pick 1. He was five years older than everyone else.
LDU has done so far, well - SFA compared to Cerra actually. Worpel a solid battler but nowhere near the top 5 in a redraft.
Rayner has probably shown flashes of brilliance beyond Cerra but is very inconsistent. As a freo fan I’d take Cerra ahead of Brayshaw too. Hunter Clark would be one you didn’t mention from that draft I’d have up there too..

I don’t know - I thought Naughton was pretty average last season. He’s got a bit to prove yet. Questionable injury record too. Balta looks good granted, but he’s playing in the best side in the competition last 2 years which is always gonna make him look better. Tim Kelly - no club is ever drafting a 23 year old at pick 1. He was five years older than everyone else.
LDU has done so far, well - SFA compared to Cerra actually. Worpel a solid battler but nowhere near the top 5 in a redraft.
Rayner has probably shown flashes of brilliance beyond Cerra but is very inconsistent. As a freo fan I’d take Cerra ahead of Brayshaw too. Hunter Clark would be one you didn’t mention from that draft I’d have up there too..

Re. Naughton and Balta, KPPs are way harder to find and are hence far more valuable. They would both be ahead of Cerra, with the knowledge recruiters now have I'd suspect. They are very bankable at this point as very good KPPs moving forward.

Re. Kelly, we are not talking about what does traditionally happen. With the benefit of hindsight, Kelly almost certainly goes top 3 with what we know he has been able to produce. He was not expected to be anywhere near the level he is in anyone's wildest dreams, finished top 5 in the Brownlow in his second AFL year.

I personally think Brayshaw is better, I think I'd have some friends there too. I stand by that Cerra is in the group with Worpel (BnF winner already, hardly a battler), LDU (showed some elite signs), Rayner and maybe Clark. You're welcome to disagree, but yeah...

Re. Naughton and Balta, KPPs are way harder to find and are hence far more valuable. They would both be ahead of Cerra, with the knowledge recruiters now have I'd suspect. They are very bankable at this point as very good KPPs moving forward.

Re. Kelly, we are not talking about what does traditionally happen. With the benefit of hindsight, Kelly almost certainly goes top 3 with what we know he has been able to produce. He was not expected to be anywhere near the level he is in anyone's wildest dreams, finished top 5 in the Brownlow in his second AFL year.

I personally think Brayshaw is better, I think I'd have some friends there too. I stand by that Cerra is in the group with Worpel (BnF winner already, hardly a battler), LDU (showed some elite signs), Rayner and maybe Clark. You're welcome to disagree, but yeah...
I think its developing into a really even top group from that draft, even Naughton has come back to the pack (though a lot of that is due to him not getting on the park). Can honestly say that I think at least 80% of Freo supporters would rank Cerra higher than Brayshaw, mainly due to having a higher ceiling. Not a bad situation to be in for Freo fans though.

I do think that in 10 years, Kelly will be more a top 10 in re-drafts, due to having stopped playing while others are still going at a high level.

Cerra played his hole game in the guts on the weekend, if he makes a permanent move to the centre square this year, his value is going through the roof. Personally think he's backing himself in for a big year and he'll sign on half way through (that's waht I tell myself anyway)

It's just factually incorrect to suggest LDU should be rated the same as Cerra though.

I think its developing into a really even top group from that draft, even Naughton has come back to the pack (though a lot of that is due to him not getting on the park). Can honestly say that I think at least 80% of Freo supporters would rank Cerra higher than Brayshaw, mainly due to having a higher ceiling. Not a bad situation to be in for Freo fans though.

I do think that in 10 years, Kelly will be more a top 10 in re-drafts, due to having stopped playing while others are still going at a high level.

Cerra played his hole game in the guts on the weekend, if he makes a permanent move to the centre square this year, his value is going through the roof. Personally think he's backing himself in for a big year and he'll sign on half way through (that's waht I tell myself anyway)

You may be right about Kelly, but other people having short memories doesn't really affect my ratings and the whole premise I was responding to was "if the draft was done again today". You will not be able to convince me that Kelly doesn't go top 3 and I stand by what else I've said too, which does include that I rate Cerra.

It's just factually incorrect to suggest LDU should be rated the same as Cerra though.

How can an opinion be factually incorrect? Don't get bent out of shape just because I'm saying things you don't like...

BTW, Cerra vs LDU for their careers.

You may be right about Kelly, but other people having short memories doesn't really affect my ratings and the whole premise I was responding to was "if the draft was done again today". You will not be able to convince me that Kelly doesn't go top 3 and I stand by what else I've said too, which does include that I rate Cerra.

How can an opinion be factually incorrect? Don't get bent out of shape just because I'm saying things you don't like...

I'm not getting bent out of shape. I don't really need to explain how an opinion can be factually incorrect. I will say that Freo members would be cutting the goal posts down at Cockburn if Freo traded Cerra for LDU.

Just for the neutrals to rank these players in order

Connor Rozee
Sam Walsh
Bailey Smith
Adam Cerra
Matt Rowell
LDU

Those stats are flawed when LDU has spent the majority of his gametime at inside mid while Cerra has spent most of his 58 games in the HBF.

Just for the neutrals to rank these players in order

Connor Rozee
Sam Walsh
Bailey Smith
Adam Cerra
Matt Rowell
LDU
Bailey Smith
Matt Rowell
Connor Rozee
Adam Cerra
Sam Walsh
LDU

Those stats are flawed when LDU has spent the majority of his gametime at inside mid while Cerra has spent most of his 58 games in the HBF.

Unfortunately for you I watch a fair bit of footy and know this to not really be the case. Yes he has spent some time across half-back , but every Freo game I can remember watching, especially from last year, Cerra was playing almost always as a wing or outside mid. Certainly most of the time. Nice try at trying to deflect (putting it kindly) though...

Last edited:
So you actually Say Cerra play as a 16-17 year old. with the talent he showed in his junior days, Did you see him taken in the top 10?

To be honest, I havent seen much of him.

Still I will await to see him in round 1 as your mob faces my mob at the MCG.
Clear top five pick who could easily have gone number one. Definitely rated him above Brayshaw. Was a lot of value in the top 10 that year though. I was very keen for the Dees to try and extract Cerra when he said he was homesick a few years ago.

Unfortunately for you I watch a fair bit of footy and know this to not really be the case. Yes he has spent some time across half-back , but every Freo game I can remember watching, especially from last year, Cerra was playing almost always as a wing or outside mid. Certainly most of the time. Nice try at trying to deflect (putting it kindly) though...

Wrong. He has played about 15/58 games in the midfield (most of those were only last year), with the rest from HFF/HBF. You have selective memory from 2020. Go on fanfooty and hover over the icon that gives a summary/proof of where he has played. In 2018/19 he played almost every game from HBF/HFF. He's obviously going to be found up on the wings from those positions, but he was very rarely playing in an actual midfield position. Then we thankfully changed coaches and he was given more midfield time. The move should be permanent this year, and I expect him to improve further and have a huge impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaron Naughton was an interesting one. Freo were apparently looking at him. He was playing in freos Ressies side in Peel thunder and played in that 2017 WAFL peel side that won the flag that season too.

Naughton didnt want to play for a WA team, wanted to play for a Vic Side apparently. Would of been good to get him but we wouldnt of get Cerra or Brayshaw

As far as Tim Kelly is concerned. Yeah he ws taken at pick 24 in that 2017 draft as a 23 year old. Go ask the question, why wasnt he taken earlier as a 18-20 year old considering what stats he is currently producing at AFL level now?

I was looking at His WAFL stats when he played for South freo ..... in 2017, the year he got Drafted y the cats, he was averaging 28 disposals a game and kicked 24 goals that season and South freo made a prelim.

In 2015 and 2016 he only averaged like 20 disposals a game. So he didnt really stood out in those 2 seasons.

Clear top five pick who could easily have gone number one. Definitely rated him above Brayshaw. Was a lot of value in the top 10 that year though. I was very keen for the Dees to try and extract Cerra when he said he was homesick a few years ago.
Yeah that was a solid group of talent in that 2017 draft. Most of them top 10 picks were 180-190 cm mids. Cerra definately justified his top 5 selection. Brayshaw at freo looks like a reach at pick 2. He is a guy that I would of taken at pick 10-15. not pick 2.

Saying that, Brayshaw signed a 4 year deal at freo. I see him as a future captain.

I'm not getting bent out of shape. I don't really need to explain how an opinion can be factually incorrect. I will say that Freo members would be cutting the goal posts down at Cockburn if Freo traded Cerra for LDU.

It's the beauty in the eye of the beholder, I reckon Arden St would be missing some goalposts if that trade went down too. Injury permitting both these kids are going to have 2021 breakouts IMO.

Pretty much how i see it with Smith also ahead of Cerra , I do like Cerra but after 4 years still only averaging just 17 touches a game doesnt scream out elite

It's three years, not four.

Cotchin averaged 19.5 possessions in his third year. Cerra averaged the equivalent of 21.7 possessions per game (adjusting for 16 min quarters) in his third year.

He played 17 games in his third year though.
Trent Cotchin's achillies issue's are well documented and his pre season and training were restricted for the first few years where he spent a majority of the time pushing a car up a hill lol , His game time was also restricted and it was not really until his 3rd year where he started playing more minutes and won the brownlow in his 5th year. If Richmond were a better team im pretty sure he wouldnt have played that many games and given more time

Pretty much how i see it with Smith also ahead of Cerra , I do like Cerra but after 4 years still only averaging just 17 touches a game doesnt scream out elite
Cerra is still very much potential to me. I think he'll get there, with both him and LDU having huge ceilings, but have to rate them clearly below those others for now. Of course, a lot can change in the space of a year so we could all have different answers by the end of this season

Cerra is still very much potential to me. I think he'll get there, with both him and LDU having huge ceilings, but have to rate them clearly below those others for now. Of course, a lot can change in the space of a year so we could all have different answers by the end of this season
LDU is OP free this pre-season. Needs a big year.

If I am Freo and Cerra wanted to go to North, I would be asking for North's first pick, not LDU.

Back