Strategy Midfield Crows Woes

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we want Thilthrope doing that though? Whilst it is a way to get him into the side, it does put extra wear and tear on the body.

As a personal opinion, Riley is too talented to be wasted as a 2nd ruck. That's for the more 'hack' forwards, i.e. the Framptons/Himmelbergs, of this world.

The question for me is do we choose to play just Thilthorpe and have him second ruck, or play Thilthorpe and Frampton/Himmelberg to fill the second ruck.

Frampton sucks and Himmelberg isn't performing. I don't see why we should pick them, clogging up our forward line and wasting a spot in the team that could be used on someone better.

I'd back Thilthorpe to perform against the likes of (for example) Oscar Allen or Sam Day in the ruck

Later in the season, sure.

My recollection is we only debuted one player per game in the opening rounds, instead focusing mostly on experienced recruits like Frampton, Keays and Crocker
Before the big midseason axing we played those 3 as well as debuting McHenry, Hamill, McPherson, McAsey and McAdam. Not to mention Fog, Jones, Himmelberg and Davis who were still very green in experience (in fact so was ROB).

That's 13 players under 30ish games before the season really went into 'youth mode'!

So, i'd say yeah, he has a pretty solid history of playing youth

The question for me is do we choose to play just Thilthorpe and have him second ruck, or play Thilthorpe and Frampton/Himmelberg to fill the second ruck.

Frampton sucks and Himmelberg isn't performing. I don't see why we should pick them, clogging up our forward line and wasting a spot in the team that could be used on someone better.

I'd back Thilthorpe to perform against the likes of (for example) Oscar Allen or Sam Day in the ruck
With Thilthorpe's body still getting there from an interrupted 2020, playing him in ruck is the club's last resort. They want him purely forward which means Frampton and Thilthorpe playing deep at this stage with walker/FOG at HF

Oh, I'd back Thilthorpe to belt them, after all, he's done his time at Westies. He's no slouch in that regard.

I just don't like that pathway at all for a prospect like Thilthorpe. I'd be looking at ditching the ruckwork outside of ball up situations in the forward line. No point bringing an extra element which can increase the chance of picking up niggles when you are dealing with someone we want in our best 22 for as long as possible this year.

I'm aware this will most likely lead to Fogarty being dropped though, which is an irritating part of this issue. As much as I hate the role, I wouldn't be against Thilthorpe getting the Lynch high half forward role and Lynch becoming a swingman of sorts.

Last edited:

I'm not putting RT in the ruck. While he is 100kgs, putting him in the ruck where he is constantly banging into the biggest guys on the ground isn't going to do his body any good.
I would use him full time in the forward line, maybe even onto a wing for shits and giggles, then use Himmelberg to chop out both in the ruck and forward line.
I think we can have three talls in the side.
Himmelberg is pretty mobile and I think it could be worth trying him as a Key Defender.

Had 30 games under his belt, certainly more experienced than our first/second year players and he was prioritized ahead of them.

I expect something similar this year. We'll pick Hately over Pedlar/Berry who will have to wait until mid season for their chance. I don't think there's anything wrong with picking Hately in this scenario but I doubt it will be based purely on form
See here's the thing.

In this forum anyone over the age of 23 is considered an older player. We actually need guys like Keays around the squad to help the kids coming through.

I'm not putting RT in the ruck. While he is 100kgs, putting him in the ruck where he is constantly banging into the biggest guys on the ground isn't going to do his body any good.
I would use him full time in the forward line, maybe even onto a wing for shits and giggles, then use Himmelberg to chop out both in the ruck and forward line.
I think we can have three talls in the side.
Himmelberg is pretty mobile and I think it could be worth trying him as a Key Defender.
Agree with all of this....Himmelberg played a lot in defence at the Championships and as a junior so I think it's a very worthwhile experiment to play him CHB while McAsey's developing in the SANFL. Look at Liam Jones never quite made it as forward but really found his niche down back.

I really don't want to see Thilthorpe in the ruck at all while he's developing his AFL game if ever.

we showed last year we are a system midfield, there's no point worrying about individuals whilst the system is shocking, hopefully we fix up the system a bit this week and can get a clearer picture

See here's the thing.

In this forum anyone over the age of 23 is considered an older player. We actually need guys like Keays around the squad to help the kids coming through.

I don't have a problem selecting Keays given he performed. But the discussion was whether we'd pick Pedlar and Berry straight off the bat. Our history suggests we won't, and we'll prioritize the more experienced players to begin with

Oh, I'd back Thilthorpe to belt them, after all, he's done his time at Westies. He's no slouch in that regard.

I just don't like that pathway at all for a prospect like Thilthorpe. I'd be looking at ditching the ruckwork outside of ball up situations in the forward line. No point bringing an extra element which can increase the chance of picking up niggles when you are dealing with someone we want in our best 22 for as long as possible this year.

I'm aware this will most likely lead to Fogarty being dropped though, which is an irritating part of this issue. As much as I hate the role, I wouldn't be against Thilthorpe getting the Lynch high half forward role and Lynch becoming a swingman of sorts.

We don't need to develop his ruckwork at all. It's just a chop out role for 10% of the match (if that). Jenkins was pure garbage in the ruck and it didn't matter.

My concern is exactly that third line. We play Thilthorpe (but not in the ruck) so we're then forced to pick an inferior player who can chop out in the ruck as well. That's crap.

In fact my biggest point of concern is this. Okay so we're not playing Thilthorpe in the ruck. Ah so then Frampton comes in. Also we need Tex in there as the best performed forward. Also Lynch as the senior player. Oh and how do we get Fogarty in there? Ah s**t, well we have to pick Tex and Lynch, oh and also Frampton as backup ruck. No room for Thilthorpe and Fogarty, so into the SANFL you two go

We don't need to develop his ruckwork at all. It's just a chop out role for 10% of the match (if that). Jenkins was pure garbage in the ruck and it didn't matter.

My concern is exactly that third line. We play Thilthorpe (but not in the ruck) so we're then forced to pick an inferior player who can chop out in the ruck as well. That's crap.

In fact my biggest point of concern is this. Okay so we're not playing Thilthorpe in the ruck. Ah so then Frampton comes in. Also we need Tex in there as the best performed forward. Also Lynch as the senior player. Oh and how do we get Fogarty in there? Ah sh*t, well we have to pick Tex and Lynch, oh and also Frampton as backup ruck. No room for Thilthorpe and Fogarty, so into the SANFL you two go
I'd caution to cool your jets on the selection decisions at this stage - I understand your position here and would be angry if it plays out like that but I am willing to give the selectors and the coaching panel a grace period first and if after a number of weeks it is like you say, then I will be with you firing barbs at them. I just don't want to jump the gun as we have had 1 internal trial and 1 scratch game so far this year

I don't have a problem selecting Keays given he performed. But the discussion was whether we'd pick Pedlar and Berry straight off the bat. Our history suggests we won't, and we'll prioritize the more experienced players to begin with
We usually do pick 1 or 2 kids early days. McAsey, Fog, Milera, Jones all got gigs straight up.

History actually does suggest we will.

This is from a recent post from Knightmare...

I'm taking Balta as my defender instead of Lukosius and shifting Lukosius up onto a wing in the place of Logan McDonald. I see the wing becoming a tall man's position in the future, where if you can find a tall who can play the position to a high level, that's preferable where possible.

Maybe we're going for being ahead of the curve :grin:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Himmelberg averaged something like 8 ruck contests a match, most of those against the side's second string ruck.

You don't reckon Thilthorpe could manage that?
Of course he could. But he could also be an absolute game changer as a CHF. Do you really want to risk it while he clashes knees with Gawn, or gets tackled by Mummy?

Ruck is a position that wears a blokes body down. I'd rather that put him through it.

This is from a recent post from Knightmare...

I'm taking Balta as my defender instead of Lukosius and shifting Lukosius up onto a wing in the place of Logan McDonald. I see the wing becoming a tall man's position in the future, where if you can find a tall who can play the position to a high level, that's preferable where possible.

Maybe we're going for being ahead of the curve :grin:
I actually called it!
I said before that we get Luko back and play Lukosious and Thilthorpe as our two wingers.

I was joking of course, but might not be that wrong after all!!

Of course he could. But he could also be an absolute game changer as a CHF. Do you really want to risk it while he clashes knees with Gawn, or gets tackled by Mummy?

Ruck is a position that wears a blokes body down. I'd rather that put him through it.

Nah I'd put him on second string rucks only. Backup role. O'Brien can take the main ruck

You play Himmelberg with RT because Berg is the most likely out of him and Billy to be part of our next contending team. He's clearly a confidence player and after so long on our list, he needs to be backed in. If he stinks it up this year, then you look for alternatives.

In fact my biggest point of concern is this. Okay so we're not playing Thilthorpe in the ruck. Ah so then Frampton comes in. Also we need Tex in there as the best performed forward. Also Lynch as the senior player. Oh and how do we get Fogarty in there? Ah sh*t, well we have to pick Tex and Lynch, oh and also Frampton as backup ruck. No room for Thilthorpe and Fogarty, so into the SANFL you two go
That's the bigger issue for mine, the Tex and Lynch selections. Tex has stripped fit this year which will give the selectors headaches, but to me, Tommy is done. I'd like to see RT, Berg, McAdam, Fog and two smalls as our forward six. It's a young group, but they need to be given the keys.

Welcome to 2013, where we discuss the midfield woes of the Adelaide Crows.
Remember those teams where we had a serviceable defence, a gun midfield and a bunch of loose canons in the F50?

Imagine having a midfield AND a forward line at the same time...

Agree with all of this....Himmelberg played a lot in defence at the Championships and as a junior so I think it's a very worthwhile experiment to play him CHB while McAsey's developing in the SANFL. Look at Liam Jones never quite made it as forward but really found his niche down back.

I really don't want to see Thilthorpe in the ruck at all while he's developing his AFL game if ever.
Agree. Thilthorpe can go into the ruck only if it's against Max or Ben King.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back