Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

My take on Denver

-elite intercept mark
-above average agility for his height
-skills seem average to good not elite
-not big KPD size but neither is Grimes(gun)

I think a alot will come down to his decision making and execusion under pressure.

For that we will just have to wait and see with fingers crossed. He could be a star or flop but at this stage no one knows for certain.

My take on Denver

-elite intercept mark
-above average agility for his height
-skills seem average to good not elite
-not big KPD size but neither is Grimes(gun)

I think a alot will come down to his decision making and execusion under pressure.

For that we will just have to wait and see with fingers crossed. He could be a star or flop but at this stage no one knows for certain.
I think a lot will come down to whom he's paired with & the support he gets (if he stays in defence).

A defender playing the lockdown role can still look good when their team is spanked - see Frawley @ Dees.

If DGB plays an intercepting role (like say McGovern) then he'll need support from other KPD & midfield or he may appear selfish or 'loose'.

I think a lot will come down to whom he's paired with & the support he gets (if he stays in defence).

A defender playing the lockdown role can still look good when their team is spanked - see Frawley @ Dees.

If DGB plays an intercepting role (like say McGovern) then he'll need support from other KPD & midfield or he may appear selfish or 'loose'.
He doesn’t have to play loose to be an intercept player. Neither does McGovern for that matter as he is still a good intercept player when taking a direct opponent. They read the play and get to the ball first. 👍

He doesn’t have to play loose to be an intercept player. Neither does McGovern for that matter as he is still a good intercept player when taking a direct opponent. They read the play and get to the ball first. 👍
Helps when they have 2x other KPD in the back 6 - just in case ;)

All crystal ball stuff. Based on the clubs selection process I will always back them. They know better than all of us here on BF.

Hey in a couple of years it could be a case of plenty of clubs kicking themselves for not picking up Downee before who they got 🤞

Last edited:
I want to have good feelings about DGB, but all I have is worry, and I need to get it off my chest:

Worries:
a "defender",
long kick but not elite;
not that tall - looks 3rd tall size when standing next to opponents,
endurance looks a weakness, -
Not an abundance of athleticism
Often choses to not keep his feet
What type of elite player does he become? Sicily - Gibson? they are rare freaks who were never expected to become gun key defenders
Pick 6 is what hurts - even if he turns out to be a pick 20-40 type player. I just can't see the pay-off right now.

Time will tell, but i think it is going to be a long year of watching other club draftees go past him.

I tend to be a pessimist, but I have more worry than excitement.

You're overthinking it , if you don't expect him to set the world on fire in his first couple years its probably best because as a key defender he has a lot of filling out to do . But at the same time you're completely underselling what he has accomplished as a footballer so far and how athletic he is , once he builds his endurance and strength he is going to be a scary prospect.

If you haven't actually seen him play a full game as a junior try get hold of game 2 of the WA all star game from last season, it might change your opinion.

I want to have good feelings about DGB, but all I have is worry, and I need to get it off my chest:

Worries:
a "defender",
long kick but not elite;
What type of elite player does he become? Sicily - Gibson? they are rare freaks who were never expected to become gun key defenders
Pick 6 is what hurts - even if he turns out to be a pick 20-40 type player. I just can't see the pay-off right now.

Time will tell, but i think it is going to be a long year of watching other club draftees go past him.

Take it to the bank, the club rated DGB at #3 behind JUH and Campbell respectively.

Worries:
a "defender",
long kick but not elite;

Difficult to get excited for a number of reasons - he looks a long way off playing AFL, I can't find much vision of him, isn't a key defender... but is a defender.
This was your opinion on Will Day. Now you don't want a key defender?

I get the worry. It's the highest pick we've had in 15 years. People want him to step on the field and be a star straight away, to remove the fear that we may have got the pick wrong. Because we have butchered early picks in the past.

But this is very early days. He's gonna take some time and looks like he'll need some time in the gym. Way too early to judge anything at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the earliest calls to write off a player I can ever remember.
As said, he was not being 'written off'.

But it is impossible to respond to someone's 'worries' when
a) there is no evidence for those worries
b) there is no evidence with which to refute those worries.

No offence intended to the OP, but the question was best directed to a psychologist rather than a football forum.

Not worried at all about Shaggy. Looks like a great modern backman. Tall, mobile, reads the play well and has a good set of hands. The rest will come or it wont but on exposed form so far - I’m really excited to see what he can offer.

My biggest positive so far though is his attitude. I could be reading too much into a few interviews I‘ve seen but he seems humble, hungry to learn and very competitive. Great attributes for an up-and-coming player. Especially one surrounded by good coaches.

My biggest positive so far though is his attitude. I could be reading too much into a few interviews I‘ve seen but he seems humble, hungry to learn and very competitive. Great attributes for an up-and-coming player. Especially one surrounded by good coaches.
This.

Fantastic to draft people with talent, but when they have such a great attitude, you just know they're going to make it.

Not worried at all about Shaggy. Looks like a great modern backman. Tall, mobile, reads the play well and has a good set of hands. The rest will come or it wont but on exposed form so far - I’m really excited to see what he can offer.

Well said.

He seems like a great character, one that will be quickly loved by his team mates and fans (and probably opposition fans if they ever get to hear him during interviews, etc). I think the commentators will love chatting to him. All in all his personality is very refreshing.

Add to that his elite aerial prowess, elite hands, his natural competitive nature, his quality skills, his ability to read the play and then back himself and his natural athleticism and he is a very exciting long term prospect.

I was a little underwhelmed by the selection, at first, as i was expecting a sexy forward or midfielder. Did zero research on the guy as he was always going top 3 and going to another club. Over the days after the draft, i read and researched and thought the decision by Hawthorn was the perfect building block for the future of the side. The guy is a gun. Tall, athletic and with a football brain. If he can stay injury free, he should be am amazing player for the hawks.

195cm is not short! Big Boy is 200cm.

I thought common wisdom was to wait for players to play 50 games before they mature? He hasn’t played one yet.

FWIW, I think he will be good, but give him time, he’s only young.

I thought common wisdom was to wait for players to play 50 games before they mature? He hasn’t played one yet.

FWIW, I think he will be good, but give him time, he’s only young.
He played two quarters of a practice game. Surely you can make a call by now 🤪

Remove this Banner Ad

Back