Review Hawks v Dogs Practice Match, Wednesday 24th Feb 10.30am

A back 3 with Hartigan Frost and CJ doesn't cut it for mine with footskills.

Frost still prone to turnovers and poor decision making at times.

We want the ball to go out and not come back.
Of those three, Hartigan and Frost have other qualities that make them essential.

CJ is the odd man out. He can't be best 22 until those flaws in his game have shown considerable improvement.

Agreed.
That year without footy couldn't have come at a worse time for CJ.

It’s pretty clear from the clubs commentary over the summer and Sam’s recent chat with Ronny Lerner that we think CJ is only going to improve with more exposure at the level.

I guess we will see in time, but Sam did seem to suggest that he’s on the right path and will be given more chances.

“When you have some of the ‘X-factor’ output possibilities that he has, working on foundation and fundamental skill can be tedious, but to his credit, he’s really been head down bum up and worked really hard on the basics of the game over the off-season,” Mitchell said.

“Like all young players they will make some mistakes, but they’re much less frequent than they have been in the past, and I think everyone’s pretty excited by what he’s producing on the training track at the moment.

“A guy like him has the physical attributes to play the game, so we love what we get out of ‘CJ’ when he’s at his best, and he knows that when he’s not he’s pretty quick to fall away.

“I think everyone can be motivated for short periods of time, but his level of desire to improve and perform has been consistent day after day for a long period now.”

Of those three, Hartigan and Frost have other qualities that make them essential.

CJ is the odd man out. He can't be best 22 until those flaws in his game have shown considerable improvement.
i agree.

i am a supporter as i would love to see him rewarded for busting a gut and giving everything. i love the attributes he brings to the side as we dont really have anyone else like him.

but if the dogs game is the sample to go on i think the kicking issue is too major to let him learn at the top level. the good thing is we have another game this weekend to test him out again so i hope we give him a chance and we see better execution. i want to see him in the best 22.

SunshineHawkCal

Team Captain
Feb 11, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
bro if a small forward kicks 66 goals in a season that sh*t is elite even if he also averaged 0 tackles 0 handballs and 3 kicks a game
If he does & a practice match compare to h&a season game, Hanrahan's seasonal form has been very much different to his practice match form.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
If he does & a practice match compare to h&a season game, Hanrahan's seasonal form has been very much different to his practice match form.

youre absolutely correct however your criticism was that he didnt do much else other than kick 3 goals which has little to do with the game it occurred in

if he does it again vs North i think he will be locked in for R1

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i agree.

i am a supporter as i would love to see him rewarded for busting a gut and giving everything. i love the attributes he brings to the side as we dont really have anyone else like him.

but if the dogs game is the sample to go on i think the kicking issue is too major to let him learn at the top level. the good thing is we have another game this weekend to test him out again so i hope we give him a chance and we see better execution. i want to see him in the best 22.

I think the coaching staff see him as potentially a very important cog in our team when we’re ready to challenge for top 4 and flags in 2-3 years. I’d forego 2-3 wins this year if I was them and let him learn at the higher level.

if we were a team like the dogs then factoring in they can cover his deficiencies a bit better it might only cost them 1-2 games but that’s the difference between top 2 or bottom half of the 8 so I wouldn’t go down the path of learning at top level.

maybe my logic is flawed.

Glorin

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2009
On the edge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The one to TOB, or the one to Lewis at the end of the quarter? The one to Lewis was the big boomer...
Yep the Lewis one.
Great piece of play all round. Impey didn't panic, went the attacking option, Moore linking up, Greeves was open, but got bypassed and then followed up and demanded the ball. Downie was open and running forward on the 45, but Greeve took the option to get it in quick and long to a one on one. Kick was sublime and the defender had no chance.
Other sides will be playing this way, so we need to do the same and not lose our nerve if it doesn't happen a few times.

SunshineHawkCal

Team Captain
Feb 11, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
youre absolutely correct however your criticism was that he didnt do much else other than kick 3 goals which has little to do with the game it occurred in

if he does it again vs North i think he will be locked in for R1
We will see how he goes, but we do have X-Factor in Brockman, both may play if Wingard doesn't get up

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just finished watching the full Bulldogs game. A word on the kids and newbies:

Hope we get another look at Brockman. Has that ability to make running with the ball and kicking to a teammate look simple (a skill in short supply at HFC!). Although Ash Browne noted that it's probably between him and Hanrahan for the forward spot, and Ollie put on a good show.
Denver, cracked in, but didn't see much of the ball.
Downie - could basically be rested now until round one, was practically our best player!
Kosi didn't see a lot of the ball, but he had one great pickup running full tilt towards a bobbling sherrin and a lightning handpass back over his head to a teammate - average players can't do that.
CJ has great endeavour, but the schoolboy errors stood out. Makes the hard stuff look easy and vice versa.
Greaves works hard, uses it well.
Hartigan was solid, literally. Only weighs 100, but looks about 150 kilos. Good hitout, seems to have an eye for the intercept mark.
Phillips was decent. I assumed he'd be a lock for round one, but he wouldn't want to be much quieter than that next week.

Go kids, go newbies!

Back