Unofficial Preview Round 1: Essendon v Hawthorn @ Marvel Stadium (March 20, 7:25pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do it AFL.

I don't think it'll work though considering Melbourne play Fremantle at the MCG earlier that day. Other than last year, they usually don't have two games at the same venue on the same day.
Special circumstances could overweigh that.

Let's be honest though 30k is never going to be enough for us vs any Melbourne club.

they’d have to move it surely. it makes the most sense to allow more fans to attend and the AFL own Marvel so no third party to consider. it’s a no-brainer for the AFL.

it’s going to stay at Marvel isn’t i?

Special circumstances could overweigh that.

Let's be honest though 30k is never going to be enough for us vs any Melbourne club.
Yep definitely.

I doubt channel Seven would be happy with our game being moved to Sunday so it's unlikely the AFL agree unless Melbourne vs Fremantle is moved to Sunday or moved to Marvel. Unlikely for any of that to happen.

Yep definitely.

I doubt channel Seven would be happy with our game being moved to Sunday so it's unlikely the AFL agree unless Melbourne vs Fremantle is moved to Sunday or moved to Marvel. Unlikely for any of that to happen.
They would probably swap our game for the Seven game on Sunday

I don't see it being moved

the real problem is that we only have 4 MCG games a year and we always have one of them be against Melbourne because ????. This is our own fault. We should never play the Demons at the MCG

edit and before we get into it, I'm fine with only having 4 MCG homes a year. It's only a problem because we insist on playing the Hawks at the Dome and the Demons at the G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see it being moved

the real problem is that we only have 4 MCG games a year and we always have one of them be against Melbourne because ????. This is our own fault. We should never play the Demons at the MCG

edit and before we get into it, I'm fine with only having 4 MCG homes a year. It's only a problem because we insist on playing the Hawks at the Dome and the Demons at the G.
Essendon and Melbourne (last time I checked) have the most MCC members. Probably the reason why we play them at the MCG.
AFL also want blockbusters at Marvel for $$$ purposes, which is why they prefer Hawthorn at Marvel over Melbourne.

My problem is that we always host them. We probably had only 2 away games in 13-14 years vs Melbourne. We always host Hawthorn as well.

Last edited:
It clearly makes sense to move it for attendance, revenue, spectacle of Rd 1 at the G, 2 biggish rivals, no downside, MCC and Hawthorn support the move.

But the AFL are making decision, so it won't happen.

So on the one hand (MCG matches) it's all locked in and can't be changed. On the other, changing the fixture for the first 6 rounds, is flexible and we can "deal with it" if things change. Headline telling: Essendon's "audacious venue request". Audacious!

How dare Essendon want to give more of their members a chance to attend a game after not being able to attend games all last year. How DARE they.

Not sure if this has been discussed but how are we at longer odds than Hawthorn with all their outs and themselves being a bottom-dweller? The bookkeeping industry must really think we suck...:oops:

I feel like this is a really big game for us and a good test against a club who I believe is pretty much in a similar situation to us.
I reckon we are still ahead of the Crows & Roos, but kind of level pegging with the Hawks & Swans - both who are rebuilding like us, hence its super important to try get a win here. Hopefully we see a line up something like;-

Ridley Hooker Hind
Francis Stewart Heppell
Parish Caldwell Merrett
Langford Jones Smith
Waterman 2MP Tippa

Draper Shiel McGrath

Bench: Snelling Ham Cox Stringer*(if fit)

Emergency: Guelfi Cahill Perkins Redman

Comon Dons..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back