Preview Practice Match: Crows vs Port, Saturday Feb 27/2/21 @ 11am

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Put away your biases. Lynch was good in the internal trial. He was all but invisible in the trial against Port, for reasons which Mutineer has explained.
He barely touched it in the internal and he didn’t look like he wanted to compete which doesn’t set a good example as a leader

and if he’s carrying an injury - why is he playing pre trials for the actual main trial game this Sunday

but I'm wondering what you're smoking if you think Fogarty's performances to date have been in the same postcode as his position in the draft.

All 17 of them?

I love our clubs fans. We actively damage players development by refusing to play them when any reasonable club would pump games into them, then blame the player for the effect of that refusal.

"WHY FOGARTY NO PERFORM LIKE 50 GAME EXPERIENCED PLAYER BY NOW?!" Because he's not, though he should be.

He's shown plenty in those 17 games- you know, if you like physically rattling the reigning premiers, five goal hauls against another or match winning goals.

I mean he certainly didnt have the upside of a Josh Jenkins all those games though.

Last edited:

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
All 17 of them?

I love our clubs fans. We actively damage players development by refusing to play them when any reasonable club would pump games into them, then blame the player for the effect of that refusal.

"WHY FOGARTY NO PERFORM LIKE 50 GAME EXPERIENCED PLAYER BY NOW?!" Because he's not, though he should be.

He's shown plenty in those 17 games- you know, if you like physically rattling the reigning premiers, five goal hauls against another or match winning goals.
Also lets not forget the longest straight run of games we've given FOG is 4 (which we've done twice).

In the first run he kicked 9 goals (not to mention taking 22 marks), which extrapolated over a season makes him a 50 goal forward. The second stint wasn't quite as fruitful, only producing 4 goals, but hey, at that point we were a wooden spoon side.

Regardless, he's shown plenty when given opportunity. Maybe we should just try something wild and give him more then a month of straight games!

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Also lets not forget the longest straight run of games we've given FOG is 4 (which we've done twice).

In the first run he kicked 9 goals (not to mention taking 22 marks), which extrapolated over a season makes him a 50 goal forward. The second stint wasn't quite as fruitful, only producing 4 goals, but hey, at that point we were a wooden spoon side.

Regardless, he's shown plenty when given opportunity. Maybe we should just try something wild and give him more then a month of straight games!
Play him at full forward but put a big marking forward that can roam at CHF..someone that can take contested marks and will draw players creating space to for a leading forward like...fogarty

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Play him at full forward but put a big marking forward that can roam at CHF..someone that can take contested marks and will draw players creating space to for a leading forward like...fogarty
Fog at FF. Himmelberg/Frampton at CHF. Then Thilthorpe roaming around wherever he pleases.

Tex/Lynch should fit around this. If they don't, then they don't get picked.

Instead we will pick Tex and Lynch first and then try to fit the other guys around them.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Fog at FF. Himmelberg/Frampton at CHF. Then Thilthorpe roaming around wherever he pleases.

Tex/Lynch should fit around this. If they don't, then they don't get picked.

Instead we will pick Tex and Lynch first and then try to fit the other guys around them.
Tex should be picked first, because at present he's our best KP forward - and it's daylight 2nd. You don't drop your #1 player, even in a rebuild, when the alternatives are barely fit to stand in his shadow.

If I were picking the R1 team, based on form shown in the trial matches to date, it's Tex, Thilthorpe & Billy.

Whether or not Tex can maintain his current form remains to be seen - but right now he's clearly our #1 KP forward.

** I am far more ambivalent about Lynch's future.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
All 17 of them?

I mean he certainly didnt have the upside of a Josh Jenkins all those games though.

AFL - 24 games
2018 - 10 games - 9 goals
2019 - 4 games - 9 goals
2020 - 10 games - 8 goals

SANFL - 27 games
2018 - 9 games - 5 goals
2019 - 18 games - 9 goals.

* I do seem to recall Darcy was played in defence in the SANFL for a few games, 2019 from memory?

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
AFL - 24 games
2019 - 4 games - 9 goals

SANFL - 27 games
2018 - 9 games - 5 goals

* I do seem to recall Darcy was played in defence in the SANFL for a few games, 2019 from memory?
It’s so hard to judge players on stats as you know. In the SANFL, he always had a lumbering ruckman next to him taking the space away. If he were to play FF with some space, he could kick 50 in SANFL. We can only judge the player on how he goes at every contest.
Great thing about rebuilding is we can take a chance and give Fog 10 games straight to see what he can do. It isn’t going to be on him if we lose, plus it’s a good time to experiment without the expectation of needing to win

AFL - 24 games
2019 - 4 games - 9 goals

SANFL - 27 games
2018 - 9 games - 5 goals

His wiki page is out of date, but I'm not sure the additional 7 games significantly changes the equation.

SANFL form is, always has been, and always will be, meaningless.

Just finished watching the SANFL Trial match from Saturday. It would have been nice to have at least one commentator who knew more than a handful of Crows players by sight. They all knew every single Port player, but were completely lost once they got beyond Berry, Thilthorpe, Strachan, Newchurch, Himmelberg and Borlase. The rest were all collectively referred to as "Adelaide Player", "Crow Player", or "Crows Player", unless/until they turned their backs to the camera, allowing the commentators to see their numbers and check the Football Record.

It really did make me appreciate Will Goodings' commentary the week before.
Ditts by name. Ditts by nature and Rehn lives the small man syndrome.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Ditts by name. Ditts by nature and Rehn lives the small man syndrome.
Ditts did the main game, not the SANFL trial. Lee Gaskin was one of the 3 commentators - I would have expected much, much, better from him, given that he's supposed to be the AFL's reporter for both Adelaide clubs.

The most embarrassing moment came in the 4th quarter. An Adelaide Player took a mark on the wing. They clearly had no idea who it was, so they just said "Adelaide player". Then he was given a 50m penalty, taking him to within scoring distance. The player remains unknown - still "Adelaide player". The player kicks, and the camera follows the ball, which hits the woodwork. Only at this point, with the camera no longer on the player, are they finally able to identify Lachlan Gollant. The camera was on him for at least 30 continuous seconds, and they had no clue as to his identity, until he turned his back to them (revealing the number on his back) after kicking for goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
How on earth did they think Luke Pedlar was Mitch Hinge? Pedlar is pretty easy to spot with that headband.
There are, literally, only 6 players that they could identify on sight - Newchurch, Thilthorpe, Berry, Strachan, Himmelberg, and Borlase. The only reason they were able to identify Borlase is because his father is a Port Adelaide hero. For every other Crows player on the ground, they had no clue who they were, until they were able to see the number on the player's back.

It really was horrible to watch & listen. Whole passages of play went by, without a single Adelaide player being named... because they literally had no clue as to who the players were.

The commentators were Tom Rehn, Lee Gaskin, and ??? Norton (Naughton?). I don't know who Rehn & Norton (sp ?) are, but Lee Gaskin should have been able to identify all of Adelaide's AFL listed players by sight. I can forgive him for not knowing the top-up players, but it's his job to report on Adelaide's AFL listed players - so he should be able to identify them without having to resort to the numbers on their backs.

Ditts did the main game, not the SANFL trial. Lee Gaskin was one of the 3 commentators - I would have expected much, much, better from him, given that he's supposed to be the AFL's reporter for both Adelaide clubs.

The most embarrassing moment came in the 4th quarter. An Adelaide Player took a mark on the wing. They clearly had no idea who it was, so they just said "Adelaide player". Then he was given a 50m penalty, taking him to within scoring distance. The player remains unknown - still "Adelaide player". The player kicks, and the camera follows the ball, which hits the woodwork. Only at this point, with the camera no longer on the player, are they finally able to identify Lachlan Gollant. The camera was on him for at least 30 continuous seconds, and they had no clue as to his identity, until he turned his back to them (revealing the number on his back) after kicking for goal.
Thanks Vader. I was lacking in sleep.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
There are, literally, only 6 players that they could identify on sight - Newchurch, Thilthorpe, Berry, Strachan, Himmelberg, and Borlase. The only reason they were able to identify Borlase is because his father is a Port Adelaide hero. For every other Crows player on the ground, they had no clue who they were, until they were able to see the number on the player's back.

It really was horrible to watch & listen. Whole passages of play went by, without a single Adelaide player being named... because they literally had no clue as to who the players were.

The commentators were Tom Rehn, Lee Gaskin, and ??? Norton (Naughton?). I don't know who Rehn & Norton (sp ?) are, but Lee Gaskin should have been able to identify all of Adelaide's AFL listed players by sight. I can forgive him for not knowing the top-up players, but it's his job to report on Adelaide's AFL listed players - so he should be able to identify them without having to resort to the numbers on their backs.
Watching the SANFL game they seemed to get more excited about Weiderman's boy playing for Port than anyone on the Crows.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Watching the SANFL game they seemed to get more excited about Weiderman's boy playing for Port than anyone on the Crows.
To be fair, Weed's son did play very well, and was probably the best player on the ground over the full 4 quarters.

They were similarly orgiastic over Thilthorpe during his golden run in the 3rd quarter.

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tex should be picked first, because at present he's our best KP forward - and it's daylight 2nd. You don't drop your #1 player, even in a rebuild, when the alternatives are barely fit to stand in his shadow.

If I were picking the R1 team, based on form shown in the trial matches to date, it's Tex, Thilthorpe & Billy.

Whether or not Tex can maintain his current form remains to be seen - but right now he's clearly our #1 KP forward.

** I am far more ambivalent about Lynch's future.

The idea that you must just play the player that is currently the best irrespective of their trajectory as a player is insane.

You need to break your weird obsession with ranking lists that are entirely made up in your head.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The idea that you must just play the player that is currently the best irrespective of their trajectory as a player is insane.

You need to break your weird obsession with ranking lists that are entirely made up in your head.
If Tex is currently in good form and having a positive influence on the the team then he plays.

If he's simply the best of a bad bunch then he doesn't.

Currently I reckon RT and Fog would greatly benefit from playing alongside Tex in the senior side.

If Tex is currently in good form and having a positive influence on the the team then he plays.

If he's simply the best of a bad bunch then he doesn't.

Currently I reckon RT and Fog would greatly benefit from playing alongside Tex in the senior side.

Yeah, we just can't afford another year of wasting the development of a Fog or Thilthorpe to prioritise Tex's farewell laps. If he can help their development great. If not, the priority has to be them.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Yeah, we just can't afford another year of wasting the development of a Fog or Thilthorpe to prioritise Tex's farewell laps. If he can help their development great. If not, the priority has to be them.
The big thing for me is if there even the slightest hint his body is starting to fail he simply CANNOT be carried.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
The big thing for me is if there even the slightest hint his body is starting to fail he simply CANNOT be carried.
Yeah, I don't mind Tex playing games if he's 100% and still contributing at a high level, but I have no interest in watching an unfit or hobbled Tex on the park for a single minute this season. Its unfair to us as fans, the players behind him and really to Tex himself (although I doubt he sees it that way).

Nicks said it himself, we don't gift people games, but that statement needs to be a double edged sword!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back