Review Scratch matches vs the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Port were very keen on Bailey Smith + definitely spoke to him a number of times.

These redrafts follow a general pattern that KPP's usually drop the first year or two after, as they take longer to develop. I'd still be going Max King and Luko if we had had picks 1 & 2, knowing what we know now.

It depends if we're talking how good they have been in the last 2 yrs or who you would pick if draft was done tomorrow.
For me Rozee would be my no 1 pick if draft was held tomorrow.
Walsh has been the best player so far.

Walsh is a gun. I dont get why hes become so underrated here

Because this board focuses too heavily on individual production of players and their ability to produce with flash rather than their value to the team dynamic.

Absolutely not lol. He got a horrendous bounce that took him out of the play. You're trying to find an issue that is just not there.

I wasn't trying to deliberately 'find' something to support a particular argument/opinion, I just noticed that after having just watched the replay.

I just think he could have put in a better effort after being on the wrong end of that bounce.

Absolutely not lol. He got a horrendous bounce that took him out of the play. You're trying to find an issue that is just not there.
So much this, our world is built to highlight what we can not do - not what we are capable of achieving. Take SPP for arguments sake, he is relentless in his pressure and then lacks the composure to execute with the skill and class Razz has. That’s not to say Razz doesn’t apply forward 50 pressure, but he picks and selects when and when not to be manic with his pressure, which in turn leaves enough fuel in the tank to be able to do the miraculous, have the Class and Poise to kick some great snags.

you can’t have two of the same, but they will work brilliantly in Tandem. The same as Dixon and Marshall as Talls complimenting one and other, opposed to Dixon and Georgie alone would fly for a number of balls together.

Dixon competes, competes and competes against 3-4 blokes each contest yet we harp on about his finishing... the world ain’t perfect, yet we expect our players to be the very best at every aspect of Football...

Because he was #1 pick and people see him as a good ordinary footballer accumulator type, than a superstar highly skilled, brillant match winner type.

c'est la vie

Had a chance to watch the replay finally after having to juggle 2 kids while the game was live... few thoughts:

• Stoppages / Contest
    • Drew got a lot of looks on-ball both at CBs and general stoppages - will be interesting to see if this continues this coming week.
    • Amon played a lot more on-ball than wing and was excellent
    • We were good in the clearances but the Crows have a lot of work to do in this space in terms of their structures, take Duursma's first goal as an example
    • I have no idea what the contested possession count would be but I feel we were comfortably first to the fall of the ball most frequently
  • Ball Movement
    • High paced, high possession. Lots of quick, decisive short kicks before searching for opportunities to be aggressive in the corridor with the right personnel (e.g. Butters creativity)
      • Not much long down the line stuff
    • Will have to see if it comes unstuck against better quality opponents and also in the wet as it was pretty hot and sunny (although maybe windy?)
    • Seemed to spread pretty well when the ball was brought to ground reasonably well
  • Forward Entries
    • Hard to say, the Crows defenders are pretty inexperienced, they're probably going to have a long day vs Hawkins and Cameron

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club literally traded up to specifically get Rozee. I doubt they even spoke to Smith.

Port were very keen on Bailey Smith + definitely spoke to him a number of times.

Yeah - nah - sort of.

How Port Adelaide pulled off bold plan to secure dynamic trio Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma in 2018 draft

Jason Cripps only had 12 names on the piece of paper in front of him
It was ambitious in a number of ways but his recruiting team, led by Geoff Parker, had come up with 12 players they felt were worthy of going in the opening round.
The Western Bulldogs had pick No.7 and were all over Bailey Smith, a gun midfielder from the Sandringham Dragons, who had made it known he didn’t want to move interstate. But Port had got wind of a plan for the Dogs to do a deal with the GWS Giants and slide down the draft because they were confident Smith’s stance had scared off the interstate clubs.

The Giants already had the pick before Port which they were going to use on Bendigo midfielder Jye Caldwell at No.9 but if they gained another pick inside that then word was it had Butters name on it.

So Port went to work with coach Ken Hinkley getting on the phone to Smith’s manager Paul Connors. It was a simple message: if the Dogs dropped down, then he’d take Smith and back in his club’s system to settle the kid in Adelaide.

It was a bold move — Smith wasn’t really in their plans — but one they hoped forced the Dogs’ hand.

Port had already instigated two separate trades with Fremantle and Brisbane to improve their draft position from No.11 to No.5.

They knew they had to get to the pointy end of the draft with three South Australians in the top five rankings along with the highly rated King twins — Max and Ben — from Melbourne. Any one of them would do for Cripps but as he looked down at his piece of paper the name of a kid who’d starred with North Adelaide in the SANFL finals kept staring back at him.

That’s more than he did in every single game last year so technically the commentary you’re hearing is correct.
Tex created history last year by polling B&F votes for 7 different clubs - extraordinary!!!

I love Rozee, but personally (without considering the home sick issues) I wouldve taken Smith in hindsight. Still a good pick, Rozee's a gun, I just think Smith's amazing and would punt Rockliff out immediately.

Smith is good, don’t get me wrong, but his kicking is not great. He also walked into the easiest position to get touches - mid with no opponent. Rozee the right decision. Butters will be better too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Less than five minutes into the quarter... (4:48 on the YouTube video)
Don't consider that rather lazy?

Definitely a lazy moment. Actually reminds me I felt I saw someone else run off him like that at some stage. Don't remember when, but hope that is just preseason effort, not main season behaviour.

I'm not gonna get too panicky about 'laziness' in a trial game on a high 20's degree day. I'm sure everyone put in an effort or two they weren't proud of that day.

Loved his first goal though. His crumbing and goal sense are going to be invaluable in our chaos ball forward line.

Was absolutely a moment of weakness from Fantasia. A bad bounce doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't chase. Wasn't the only time either.

Was it lazy, unfit or trial game care factor? I'm hoping it's match fitness. It's been a while for him and he'll need games under his belt.

I reckon Walsh is an elite gun and prospect.

But that draft was filled with guys that meet that description and virtually all of them look to be a very good chance of reaching their potential. He would have been a worthy #1 in many drafts, bit I just wouldnt have him at #1 any more in a 2018 redfraft over Smith, King, Butters, Luko etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back