Preview Hawthorn v North Melbourne AAMI Community series clash, Saturday March 6th 4.10pm at Arden Street

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If were going to lose, i would rather it be due to the new generation learning. Not the oldies being played for the sake of playing. Listen to Clarkson on the coachs podcast.
You assume that the rest of the young players won’t be affected by playing lessor players as inside mids. Clarko said the midfield was a critical because the ball flows through it so much. If we field and inferior midfield it will hurt everyone. We saw what happened last year when the ones we had weren’t performing. It took our defensive structures out of the game and our forwards were starved for opportunities.

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You assume that the rest of the young players won’t be affected by playing lessor players as inside mids. Clarko said the midfield was a critical because the ball flows through it so much. If we field and inferior midfield it will hurt everyone. We saw what happened last year when the ones we had weren’t performing. It took our defensive structures out of the game and our forwards were starved for opportunities.

You do realise Mitchell and Wingard are injured, an racing the clock to be fit right. An i do not rate Howe.

If were going to lose, i would rather it be due to the new generation learning. Not the oldies being played for the sake of playing. Listen to Clarkson on the coachs podcast.
You predicate your statement on losing no coach goes out onto the ground to lose. Your statements leads me to believe that you have no understanding of football clubs and players and teams. You do not pick players just on potential. This causes a fracture among the team. Showing favouritism in any form does not work in any organisation. Everything at our club is measured. Finn has KPIs that he is not meeting

And before you state that clarko has favourites let me just say that you have no basis for that assumption.

You do realise Mitchell and Wingard are injured, an racing the clock to be fit right. An i do not rate Howe.
You know what let me just say the coaches do not rate Finn and i have to agree with them. They rate Howe more than they rate Finn. Your ratings therefore are irrelevant

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You predicate your statement on losing no coach goes out onto the ground to lose. Your statements leads me to believe that you have no understanding of football clubs and players and teams. You do not pick players just on potential. This causes a fracture among the team. Showing favouritism in any form does not work in any organisation. Everything at our club is measured. Finn has KPIs that he is not meeting

And before you state that clarko has favourites let me just say that you have no basis for that assumption.

Here is a fact for you, we are s**t with big names in the midfield. You do not keep doing the same thing and expect a miracle. We were smashed in the midfield, this has been an issue since 2017. An we finished in the botttom four in 2020

Given were s**t and Clarko keeps picking the same midfield is enough for me to call favourites.

FYI listen to Clarkson on the coaches podcast. He stated Finn is ready for the senior role he played as a junior.

You do not have to agree with my opinion, but respect for each others opinion is good. I have explained my thoughts enough and now i am done.

Here is a fact for you, we are sh*t with big names in the midfield. You do not keep doing the same thing and expect a miracle. We were smashed in the midfield, this has been an issue since 2017. An we finished in the botttom four in 2020

Given were sh*t and Clarko keeps picking the same midfield is enough for me to call favourites.

FYI listen to Clarkson on the coaches podcast. He stated Finn is ready for the senior role he played as a junior.

You do not have to agree with my opinion, but respect for each others opinion is good. I have explained my thoughts enough and now i am done.
There is nothing to disrespect. What I have said is objective about selection. The coaches pick the same midfield because those individuals are the best performed at the club? So what you recommend is just something different rather than your best team. I will never understand that and yes you are definitely going out there to lose. The midfield that is being picked is our best team the fact that we kept losing was the drop off in form of Worpel and Shiels and the injuries to Mitchell and JOM. Have you seen Finn play or train? You are making assumptions. Even out on the track he is behind several others in actual football output especially in the intras. We pick the same team until we have someone better come along. Finn is not better at the moment. We pick our best team not our youngest team or any such variant.

E.g we picked Nash then Morris and now Brockman.

Last edited:

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Reckon it’s just a little too early to be arguing about Finns selection. Let’s see how he goes at box hill and also how our midfield looks with some new wingers and hopefully more of cousins and wingard.

If by mid SeasonFinn is tearing it up at box hill and our afl midfield is getting dominated like 2020 then yes let’s get fired up about selection.

I’m more interested in the overall approach to selection. Will we stay with the conservative approach and go with howe, Morrison, Nash when spots are available or the newer faces? Or really change up the midfield mix (even if means go further backward in the near term?)

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Reckon it’s just a little too early to be arguing about Finns selection. Let’s see how he goes at box hill and also how our midfield looks with some new wingers and hopefully more of cousins and wingard.

If by mid SeasonFinn is tearing it up at box hill and our afl midfield is getting dominated like 2020 then yes let’s get fired up about selection.

I’m more interested in the overall approach to selection. Will we stay with the conservative approach and go with howe, Morrison, Nash when spots are available or the newer faces? Or really change up the midfield mix (even if means go further backward in the near term?)

If we are playing the same rubbish football as last year and have guys like Howe, Nash, Hanrahan and Morrison dudding it up and a 38 year old Burgoyne running around, whilst guys like Finn, Brockman, Downie etc are stuck in the VFL then questions need to be asked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are playing the same rubbish football as last year and have guys like Howe, Nash, Hanrahan and Morrison dudding it up and a 38 year old Burgoyne running around, whilst guys like Finn, Brockman, Downie etc are stuck in the VFL then questions need to be asked.
The evidence is clearly in even from the practice matches that this is not the case. We already have Downie and Brockman play one. Once again it comes down to performance. Nash hasn't been in the side for quite a while and Morrison and Hanrahan were pretty good in the first hit out. So was Howe for that matter. Till they can be replaced they are the best we have

If Finns surname was not that of a club great, and he looked like Conor glass, we wouldn’t be talking about him nearly as much as is done in this forum. He’s not done anything to earn this level of hysteria.

Based on numbers alone and our drafting history, it’s more unlikely than likely that he makes it. People need to cool their jets.

The same people who handcuffed themselves to Harry Jones, now doing it with Finn, albeit with far less form at VFL level to conclude he is ready.

Stop it.

Let him prove that he is up to it.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
The evidence is clearly in even from the practice matches that this is not the case. We already have Downie and Brockman play one. Once again it comes down to performance. Nash hasn't been in the side for quite a while and Morrison and Hanrahan were pretty good in the first hit out. So was Howe for that matter. Till they can be replaced they are the best we have

Yeah I know, early signs look good for Brockman and especially Downie. But who knows how it will play out.

I thought Morrison was pretty good (and so was Howe). Ollie kicked 3 so you can't really argue with that. Having said I don't think any of them should be in the team come that end of the season.

Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Surely Hartigan is the replacement for Frawley. No mention of Scully, who also needs to be replaced, along with smith and hendo, hence Philipp’s, downie and why not Moore. Not sure who plays stratton’s tall/small role (when he was good at it), but impey down back for run looks good. Hardwick would want to show up this year. Preseason dead space filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back