How do you feel about the appointment?

• Total voters
May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Just to be contrary... the outgoing CEO wasn't a member of the boy's club either. We've replaced one non-boy's club employee with another.
In that scenario we might have gone too far the other way. I don't think picking a dude with a Rugby background was the right choice. Easy to say with the benefit of hindsight though.

Apr 28, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, West Adelaide
I'll say it.

I think the club listened to criticism of the boy's club

I wonder if that was something that came up in the review. Since The Great Purge(TM) only VB has had anything to do with our club previously. Olsen and Kelly had SANFL links.

Nicks, Burns, Rahilly, Bello, Dan Jackson and now Silvers all from outside the club.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
In that scenario we might have gone too far the other way. I don't think picking a dude with a Rugby background was the right choice. Easy to say with the benefit of hindsight though.
Fagan was excellent on the financial side (and he's leaving Adelaide in a much better financial state than when he arrived), and was coming from a football background (albeit not AFL).

I'm not sure I agree with his attempts to expand the club's base, through eSports, Baseball & Basketball, but Adelaide aren't the only club going down this path (several AFL clubs have links with netball teams). I guess the idea is to attract sponsors, or increase the size of existing sponsorships, by giving sponsors exposure across multiple sports - not just the AFL team. If inputs > outputs (and there's never been anything to suggest that they weren't), then this strategy should have improved the club's financial strength. Unfortunately, it appears to have resulted in the loss of focus on AFL on-field performance, which is the ultimate measuring stick for success.

At the end of the day, he didn't have a strong enough focus on making the AFC the strongest on-field football team in the competition.

Silvers comes from a club which is indisputably Best Practice when it comes to on-field success, and one which has turned it's financial situation around dramatically since the days of the mooted Melbourne merger. If he can replicate that, while continuing Fagan's good work in strengthening our financial position, then the AFC will soon be in a very good place.

Just to be contrary... the outgoing CEO wasn't a member of the boy's club either. We've replaced one non-boy's club employee with another.
True, but there is now an established pattern of fresh hires that have nothing to do with the club previously in any capacity

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Except that we've seen the same behaviour, from the same posters, regardless of whether we were finishing minor premiers or wooden spooners. There is no correlation between ladder position and posts from these "supporters" shitcanning the club.

Yeah we’re part of that annoying group that demands more than zero premierships in two decades.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Yeah we’re part of that annoying group that demands more than zero premierships in two decades.
Sorry, but you & others like you would still bitch & moan if the club won 10 premierships in a row.

There is zero correlation between on-field success and the number of posts by "supporters" like you, s**t canning the club and everything it does.

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
Mate your probably too small minded to understand, but I guarantee Roo was heavily involved in most of the quality appointments we’ve made over the summer
You're* if you're going to deal out insults make sure you know basic grammar.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
The real test is when the media start trashing us for some reason and weather he stands up to the media or AFL and says "Enough of this bullshit, it's been happening too long"

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Sorry, but you & others like you would still b*tch & moan if the club won 10 premierships in a row.
This is just a completely ridiculous hypothetical but it doesn't matter because we haven't won a single flag in over 20 years. We just won a spoon. Is context really so hard for you to understand? If anything it's the club apologists who need to be dialing it back right now, not the other way around.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
The real test is when the media start trashing us for some reason and weather he stands up to the media or AFL and says "Enough of this bullshit, it's been happening too long"
No... that's Olsen's job, not Silvers'. At every other club it's the President who stands up and makes those statements (e.g. McGuire, Kennett). The failure to have someone stand up for the club in public was one of Chapman's key failings.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I think the issue there was with his lack of football knowledge he seemed to quickly defer a great deal to that boys club when it came to football department matters. I get why he'd do that, but it unfortunately did him no favours.

The hope would now be Silvers has enough knowledge and connections through the AFL that looking solely in our own backyard again and again isn't repeated.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
This is just a completely ridiculous hypothetical but it doesn't matter because we haven't won a single flag in over 20 years. We just won a spoon. Is context really so hard for you to understand? If anything it's the club apologists who need to be dialing it back right now, not the other way around.
I'm well aware that we just won the wooden spoon. I'm equally aware that these same Negative Nellies were posting the same volume of anti-club crap when we were winning 10 consecutive games on the way to a minor premiership. Their negativity has nothing to do with the club's success (or lack thereof) on-field. They are just negative people, who will always post negative rubbish about the club - because that's who they are as people.

Given the constant stream of negativity from these posters, there is no context to understand. Their negativity is completely independent of on-field success (or lack thereof). It is constant, regardless.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I'm well aware that we just won the wooden spoon. I'm equally aware that these same Negative Nellies were posting the same volume of anti-club crap when we were winning 10 consecutive games on the way to a minor premiership. Their negativity has nothing to do with the club's success (or lack thereof) on-field. They are just negative people, who will always post negative rubbish about the club - because that's who they are as people.

Given the constant stream of negativity from these posters, there is no context to understand. Their negativity is completely independent of on-field success (or lack thereof). It is constant, regardless.
How would you even know this? Did Bigfooty even exist the last time we were a successful club?

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
How would you even know this? Did Bigfooty even exist the last time we were a successful club?
It probably wasn't around in 97/98, but these same posters were posting the same crap in 2017 (minor premiers, played in GF), and all the way back to 2005/06 (when we made the PF). There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that their negativity correlates with on-field failure, it's all about failure of personality by these terminally depressing individuals.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very good appointment. At least will shut the neighsayers down for a bit.

The naysayers have been proven right and vindicated repeatedly.

This looks like yet another positive and strong appointment - and funnily enough, the overwhelming response is positive.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Sorry, but you & others like you would still b*tch & moan if the club won 10 premierships in a row.

There is zero correlation between on-field success and the number of posts by "supporters" like you, sh*t canning the club and everything it does.

I don't agree with that at all.

If the club started walking the walk rather than just talking the talk, I'd be willing to bet that we'd all be more than satisfied.

We should be the equal to clubs like West Coast both on and off the field, the fact that we're not is a valid concern to some of our supporters.

The frustration has a lot to do with our 23 year premiership drought (with no end in sight) and only making 1 grand final since our last flag.

This club has under performed for a long while, that's not baseless trolling it's the truth.

Back