Opinion Team Selection: Best 22 for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

There is more to football than pure talent. There is hard work and dedication to improve.

Stack's second year was abysmal. He looked lazy and was horrible in most games he played. So no, Stack is not currently twice as good as Jack Ross.

Jack Ross went from rated to underrated on these forums. His last few games for us last year were really solid, it begs belief as to why after a kid who plays a few average games in the best team over the past 3 years get shot down so quick.

The thing that really impresses me with our list management is that aside from Pickett and Aarts who are recent mature age pickups, all of the players outside our best team are promising young players. We don't have a single list-clogging older depth player. A few years ago our list was full of them.

Dan Rioli will continue to play, people will continue to seriously underrate the things he does and his serious importance to our structure, and we'll continue to win.

That's how it goes.
spot on. was excellent in a few finals, didnt do much in the gf. sacrifices opportunity for team structure and look at his record.

rush is he has been in the system how long? I can see that coth and houli and maybe one other needs to go, but he needs to stand up now

2 season so far... Iirc.

In his first RCD had decent contributing to the vfl flag and last season there was no 2nds football.

He was also a 'project' player of sorts

Last edited:
2nd 18 based on my previous post to include emergencies.

B: Garthwaite, Miller, Mansell
HB: Naish, Ngyuon, Martyn
C: Ross, Pickett, Collier-Dawkins
HF: Stack, Chol, D. Rioli
F: M. Rioli, Coleman-Jones, Aarts
Foll: Ryan, Dow, Ralphsmith

Cumberland would slot in nicely when he is ready.
You'd have to think Pickett would skipper that team too.

2nd 18 based on my previous post to include emergencies.

B: Garthwaite, Miller, Mansell
HB: Naish, Ngyuon, Martyn
C: Ross, Pickett, Collier-Dawkins
HF: Stack, Chol, D. Rioli
F: M. Rioli, Coleman-Jones, Aarts
Foll: Ryan, Dow, Ralphsmith

Cumberland would slot in nicely when he is ready.

Ross and RCD should be in the guts...

i've missed a bit of the preseason - whats the impetus for RCD being selected in round one?
He took a pretty big knock (broken nose or cheekbone ?) with concussion which set him back a few weeks. Up until then Dimma had been glowing in his praise about his development physically and as a future prospect. He's such a late developer tho. Boy in a man's body. A couple of others are ahead of him...will just come down to opportunities now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why do people so underestimate the picks? He is clearly best 22.
I agree. Was just commenting on the 2nd 18 that was posted. Pickett would definitely skipper that side. I doubt he would play too many reserve games on $500k a year unless his form dropped right away.

you sure about that he is on 500 biggies?
Pretty sure it was reported Oct last year he signed a 2y deal for approx $1M. Of course everyone has taken a Covid haircut since then but he's on close to that yep.

Would be interesting to do a 2nd side as well.
1st 22:
Tough task.

B: Baker, Grimes, Astbury
HB: Vlastuin, Balta, Short
C: Cotchin, Prestia, McIntosh
HF: Castagna, Lynch, Bolton
F: Caddy, Riewoldt, Edwards
Foll: Nankervis, Martin, Lambert
Inter: Soldo, Graham, Broad, Houli
Emerg: Pickett, D. Rioli, Ross

I have a feeling Bachar might struggle a bit this year, but still gets in. Pickett unlucky, and I went to Caddy instead of Rioli, but that could easily be swapped around. Aarts could easily fill that role too.
Houli is cooked I reckon. Still recovering from a Grand Final calf injury and in doubt for round 1. At his age that's a clear sign its coming to the end, reckon he will struggle all year and probably retire before next season.

That's a gross overpayment for someone still living a bit off his debut game and not fully proven.
There wouldn't be many begrudging him a good payday. He must have been worth millions in publicity for one week in September 2019 alone. Good on him I reckon. I rate him as a player, especially as a winger who gets back and helps the defence and love his hardness at the footy. Geez we were up s**t creek early in the prelim last year and he really stood up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back