Opinion Team Selection: Best 22 for 2021

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
There wouldn't be many begrudging him a good payday. He must have been worth millions in publicity for one week in September 2019 alone. Good on him I reckon. I rate him as a player, especially as a winger who gets back and helps the defence and love his hardness at the footy. Geez we were up sh*t creek early in the prelim last year and he really stood up.
With cap reductions it just seems like a lot to me though. There'd be a fair amount of footballers on our list currently that I reckon wouldn't be getting 500k a year that are better players than Pickett.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
I think this year will see 1 or 2 kids become regular best 22.Have to involve and improve every year.Last year it was Balta and Aarts.I can see Ross and Dow come in and hopefully CCJ.

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
With cap reductions it just seems like a lot to me though. There'd be a fair amount of footballers on our list currently that I reckon wouldn't be getting 500k a year that are better players than Pickett.
It's hard to disagree with you juss.

Although, if you look at it this way (which is the way I believe RFC have gone) at 29, Marlion realy only gets one shot at a payday. He has a big family to provide for. I believe the Club have looked after him. I don't think they've shied away from it either.

Guys like Short and Baker, Balta and Bolton, even Vlaus and Lambo will either get great deals in their careers or have already been on the kind of money Marlion could only dream about. Over a much longer term too. Because they went through the system. The average player is on $350 say. The ones who have 10y careers (like the blokes I named above) will make $3.5M. Some will make heaps more.

(How much do you think Freo/WhingeCoast would throw at Bolton or Baker, WA lads right now?)

Marlion is unique for us. I guess he's like Podsiadly in some respects. He'll probably only get one good contract in his career. Dimma bloody loves him because he's a wind up footballer. Go do this. He goes does that. Our success has been based a lot on that exact principle.

Don't underestimate the effect he had on the team during the finals series of 2019. He made a fairytale come true and the other 21 grew a leg to get him over the line. We would have beaten the All Australian team that day.

Anyway that's my take on it. As I said. I don't begrudge him one really good contract. The taxman will take his chunk and hopefully he can buy himself a house/property and live and love happily ever after. The bloke made a mess of his life and then turned it all around, not just because he is a good footballer, but because he didn't throw it all away.

But he will always be Marlion Pickett and that time and day will live forever. I just love that he's ice cool but hard as nails. That's how I like my team.

(Stacky I hope you're reading this !) Lol

(I live in Freo, having moved to WA from Melbourne when I was 25. I wander down occasionally to watch Sth Freo and saw Marlion in a few times in the WAFL and it was evident that he was a class above the other players. It was also evident that he was a hard but clean with his skills. So for me, its been a pure delight to see him, at 28 make a go of the rarest of rare opportunities. When you meet someone to say hello to and watch them play you kind of become invested in them just a little. I guess I'm invested in Marlion just a little because I also have eyes and can see what happens when things don't go the fairytale way and the consequences of that. I LOVE that our club gave him a chance and I love that he has humbly accepted it and paid us back already. It's only bloody money after all).

Oct 11, 2003
somewhere in the jungle something is lurking
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
That's a gross overpayment for someone still living a bit off his debut game and not fully proven.
geezus what do you want him to do. best of ground in vfl gf. 2nd best on game in his debut game afl gf. held his own last year and played a leading role in his last 5 games and a solid finals campaign. In our best 8 in gf 2020. I cant beleive picks is so underrated here. who do you want dusty?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
geezus what do you want him to do. best of ground in vfl gf. 2nd best on game in his debut game afl gf. held his own last year and played a leading role in his last 5 games and a solid finals campaign. In our best 8 in gf 2020. I cant beleive picks is so underrated here. who do you want dusty?
Of his 20 games there's quite a few where he didn't really impress. Obviously in others he did.

My point is just 500k a year seems a lot for his output so far especially with cap pressure hitting clubs. Compare that to players with us and around the league and I reckon he's overpaid over others who'd be on the same or less playing better football.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Of his 20 games there's quite a few where he didn't really impress. Obviously in others he did.

My point is just 500k a year seems a lot for his output so far especially with cap pressure hitting clubs. Compare that to players with us and around the league and I reckon he's overpaid over others who'd be on the same or less playing better football.

If the report is correct and you combine the good and bad contract over his first four seasons he is probably getting $300-350k for each of those seasons on average. There is no way you can say that is not value for a best 22 player who has stood up really well on big stages. He has also shown uncommon loyalty to the club. I for one am really pleased to hear the club has not abused its privileges with Marlion, and he is being well looked after. Hopefully he can get another couple of years on good money after this contract as well, and really set himself up. He will only get better.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Dusty
Cotch
Prestia
Bolton
Edwards
Lambo
Baker
Graham
Pickett
K-Mac
RCD

When healthy that’s 11 now that need to fit into 8-9 spots. Do we start looking at that 3rd small fwd spot (Aarts/Rioli) as being better utilised with say Bolton/Baker rotating midfield and there instead? We’d end up with more production out of that spot + an extra fresh body rotating through the middle. I get it’s a strategic role that isn’t all about the numbers, but surely between those two we don’t lose anything in terms of that.

Back