#29 Jayden Hunt - joins WCE as a free agent, pick 52 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is TK, this won’t be able to be utilised with every defensive exit. And I doubt anyone is suggesting that. Of course if the ball is locked in defensive 50 the forwards likely push up. But on a quick turnover it can create some opportunities for forwards to run into some space. Just need the kicker to deliver properly. Hunt doesn’t have the skills of Saad but can still be effective if it’s not going straight to the oppo.
This is something we’d have been training for so not like they are just going to bomb it to an empty forward line as part of a game plan.

But mate you arent really understanding, if its a 'quick turnover' then why would Hunt have the ball on the mark? A quick turnover doesnt involve Hunt marking the ball, thats a chip kick around the backline.

The only place I can see this helping is if someone marks around 50 and then a bloke sprints towards the goalsquare, the bloke on the mark cant chase him.

Russian Demon is right, the only way theres a tangible change is with taking a couple plodders off the field.

But mate you arent really understanding, if its a 'quick turnover' then why would Hunt have the ball on the mark? A quick turnover doesnt involve Hunt marking the ball, thats a chip kick around the backline.

The only place I can see this helping is if someone marks around 50 and then a bloke sprints towards the goalsquare, the bloke on the mark cant chase him.

Russian Demon is right, the only way theres a tangible change is with taking a couple plodders off the field.
No. The ball turned over for example by a Lever intercept. Hunt runs past at speed for handball then carrying the ball. The man on the mark can’t move to block as previously he could.

No. The ball turned over for example by a Lever intercept. Hunt runs past at speed for handball then carrying the ball. The man on the mark can’t move to block as previously he could.
Yes he can.
The person on the mark has 3 seconds to position themselves so that scenario doesn't happen.

We’ll see how it plays out however this happened in games last week. Coaches and players have said this is happening.
Happy to have an avatar bet that scores don't increase this year relative to game time.
Not gonna make a * of difference

Happy to have an avatar bet that scores don't increase this year relative to game time.
Not gonna make a fu** of difference
Who knows if scores will increase. Coaches will come up with something defensively to. I’m just saying we’ll see teams utilise a runner off half back. I’m not betting on it as the outcomes of scores increasing won’t tell us who is right.

Who knows if scores will increase. Coaches will come up with something defensively to. I’m just saying we’ll see teams utilise a runner off half back. I’m not betting on it as the outcomes of scores increasing won’t tell us who is right.

An I'm saying Saad already runs shitloads with the ball un impeded and Essendon still sucks.

Teams average 10 points a game from the back half. That's not gonna change.

An I'm saying Saad already runs shitloads with the ball un impeded and Essendon still sucks.

Teams average 10 points a game from the back half. That's not gonna change.
Let’s just agree to disagree. I’m not expecting a huge increase in scores. BUT can see us using Hunt as a runner off half back. Other clubs have been doing the same.

Should do really well with these new rules (they're good, quit whining)
Can easily get 15 metres and then kick, absolutely rapid ball movement.
Hopefully Choco has done some work on his kicking and decision making.

I'm not sure about this new rule, it's meant to encourage teams to go through the corridor by using the more dangerous 45 kick in board. Apparently the man on the mark stops this by moving in an angle and forcing the play to kick down the line hence the rule change. I'm not sure if this will make one iota of a difference. The best teams will be able to shut down the corridor kick regardless of the rule and even if it does open it up teams have already flooded back. Perhaps you might see an increase on fast breaks from turnovers but overall I don't think it will have the desired effect to the game. Maybe an increase from Cringe worthy 50s. Add in the cringe worthy 50s from players running in the 'protected zone' we are getting a cringe worthy game. They should at least drop the ruck nomination to bring this in.

I'm not sure about this new rule, it's meant to encourage teams to go through the corridor by using the more dangerous 45 kick in board. Apparently the man on the mark stops this by moving in an angle and forcing the play to kick down the line hence the rule change. I'm not sure if this will make one iota of a difference. The best teams will be able to shut down the corridor kick regardless of the rule and even if it does open it up teams have already flooded back. Perhaps you might see an increase on fast breaks from turnovers but overall I don't think it will have the desired effect to the game. Maybe an increase from Cringe worthy 50s. Add in the cringe worthy 50s from players running in the 'protected zone' we are getting a cringe worthy game. They should at least drop the ruck nomination to bring this in.
Already an increase in scoring in the practice games, extremely noticeable change in ball movement. Only team to have done something clear to counter-act is St.Kilda who dropped the player on the mark 5 metres back outside the protected area and blocked the corridor. Not sustainable as it's clearly not as effective due to distance and gives the bloke with the ball the license to run and get penetration in the kick, could be equally as dangerous. I love this new rule paired with cut to interchanges and more space after a kickin. I don't understand why people hate it, let me show a chain of events.
-low scoring games- fans want more scoring- afl try with 666 and kickin change- does nothing- afl provide a surefire way for teams to kick more goals- people don't like it and want it changed.
What is the average fan sacrificing to see more goals and faster ball movement? Seeing a bloke move to his left or right for a couple seconds? Really?
I just don't understand the outrage, i love it and will be really excited to see more goals, more aggressive kicks, better passages of play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already an increase in scoring in the practice games, extremely noticeable change in ball movement. Only team to have done something clear to counter-act is St.Kilda who dropped the player on the mark 5 metres back outside the protected area and blocked the corridor. Not sustainable as it's clearly not as effective due to distance and gives the bloke with the ball the license to run and get penetration in the kick, could be equally as dangerous. I love this new rule paired with cut to interchanges and more space after a kickin. I don't understand why people hate it, let me show a chain of events.
-low scoring games- fans want more scoring- afl try with 666 and kickin change- does nothing- afl provide a surefire way for teams to kick more goals- people don't like it and want it changed.
What is the average fan sacrificing to see more goals and faster ball movement? Seeing a bloke move to his left or right for a couple seconds? Really?
I just don't understand the outrage, i love it and will be really excited to see more goals, more aggressive kicks, better passages of play.
I guess we will have to wait and see in the real stuff. I think people hate it or are worried about it because of the 50s given for taking one step across but players will adjust.

I guess we will have to wait and see in the real stuff. I think people hate it or are worried about it because of the 50s given for taking one step across but players will adjust.
Only 6 50's across 1000's of instances. Umps being really strict early to make sure the rule becomes the norm mid year. Would be really surprised and disappointed if we see 50's paid like the one with the freo player.

I like it too to be honest. Plenty of people will piss and moan about it for the first few weeks, and then everyone will get used to it, the number of infringements will drop off and it'll become normal. The only thing I would have liked to see accompany it would have been introducing a 25m penalty for minor infringements like this, and leaving 50's for late hits etc.

I like it too to be honest. Plenty of people will piss and moan about it for the first few weeks, and then everyone will get used to it, the number of infringements will drop off and it'll become normal. The only thing I would have liked to see accompany it would have been introducing a 25m penalty for minor infringements like this, and leaving 50's for late hits etc.
I agree that 50 is a bit harsh for moving on the mark, but I think that would open a whole new can of worms and would be impossible to adjudicate what is deserving of 50. The more black and white the better.

Practice matches are usually higher scoring. Lack of pressure will do that.

Yeah I’ve noticed this as well. Sometimes early rounds churn out a few high-score games too, likely because teams are still bedding down defensive structures that from round one have to be navigated against higher speeds and intensity then can be adequately trained for in practice or simulation or pre-season.

High scoring even in comparison to last year's practice games. This weekend will be interesting.

High scoring even in comparison to last year's practice games. This weekend will be interesting.

Surely you can't be this stupid mate? Scoring is up 5 points on average and it's pre season, in fact if you take out the StKilda smashing then scoring is as actually down.

I got some magic beans I could sell you if you think this makes any difference to scoring

The rule I don’t mind is not being able to hand over to a team mate to stand the mark. In theory, it will slow the ability to organise and move the defensive grid down the ground and help with fast breaks. Problem will be that from stoppages and slow play it won’t be enough to stop a zone being organised. Can only see it having a noticeable impact on fast counter attack.

What fans get so peeved at is how soft the 50s are because the punishment doesn’t fit the crime for such minor, non-physical infractions. I’m surprised they haven’t brought back 15 or 25m penalties for these kind of technical new free kicks (keeping 50s for the rest), it would make it slightly more palatable for fans and is still enough for coaches to instruct not to give the free away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back