Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Meh I don't mind.

2 years for rec drugs is more than enough
He intentionally tried to cheat the system and submitted a false sample. The deception was worse than the actual positive result.

It was tampering with evidence and a positive test which was rolled into the first charge.

His career might already have been lost, getting back to playing condition especially if he has been using that custom hookah a bit, is going to be the sort of story hour long features on 7 are made of. And I hope he does.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
There’s been such a hearts and minds
campaign by our media people actually
feel sorry for poor Willie. He shouldn’t be able to play at all this year.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Any punishment between 2 and 4 years would have been fair. I think you can argue one way or the other over how serious the offence is.

Those I've talked to who have a bit of insight into the situation (ie my cousin's boyfriend's dog's former roommate) say there's very little chance that we see Rioli back playing AFL again unfortunately. It will take at least a year to get back to AFL level conditioning for him.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Hagdorn is reporting that the Rioli ban decision will be announced today.
2 years backdated, so he'll be available to play later this year.

Soft.

Essendon players got caught being apart of a doping regime and only got 1 year

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
There’s been such a hearts and minds
campaign by our media people actually
feel sorry for poor Willie. He shouldn’t be able to play at all this year.

He deliberately cheated a test in one of the dumbest ways possible.

Who cares about cannabis, it sets a really bad precedence for future tests - "Oh sorry, I tried to cheat the test because I was anxious / frustrated"

Guy seems like a deadset moron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks

Who cares about cannabis, it sets a really bad precedence for future tests - "Oh sorry, I tried to cheat the test because I was anxious / frustrated"

Agreed

If he went positive for weed without messing with the test we probably would have heard nothing about it

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle

He ended up submitting a test that day though right? He's getting (according to Hagggers) two years so I fail to see how that sets a really bad precedence. Unless I'm remembering wrong and he never submitted an actual test.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Someone here can usually get around the paywall and post the story? The Worst was quick on the pedal with this story!

1614823050504.png

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
He ended up submitting a test that day though right? He's getting (according to Hagggers) two years so I fail to see how that sets a really bad precedence. Unless I'm remembering wrong and he never submitted an actual test.
I think what Yeti was getting at was there was a 4 year expectation for tampering with a test

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think what Yeti was getting at was there was a 4 year expectation for tampering with a test

Yeah I get that, but it's hardly setting a bad precedence if Rioli gets 2 years on the provision he did actually submit a sample that day. I honestly can't remember with certainty if that was the case or not. If he didn't then I fully agree 2 is unders.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle

A positive test to cannabis on game day is a violation of the performance enhancing drug code.
In off season it’s considered recreational but on game day it’s entirely different.
All players are aware of this and that’s why Willie panicked and took the ridiculous action he did.
Put simply , he cheated and tried to hide it.

Rioli story went:
News of attempting to skip test broke
News of attempting to be tested later that day broke
Argument about whether that test later should just be used and forget the tampered sample
Willie Rioli tested positive in a match day sample, to be bundled with the tampering charge.
No more discussion.
Now.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I get that, but it's hardly setting a bad precedence if Rioli gets 2 years on the provision he did actually submit a sample that day. I honestly can't remember with certainty if that was the case or not. If he didn't then I fully agree 2 is unders.

Disagree.

You agree to abide by the WADA code (significant parts that I disagree with) so you take the test. You don't try and avoid it and you don't try and put in a substitute.

Who cares if he submitted it at a later time? He may have had something worth testing for in his system that metabolised.

The fact he tested positive for something AFTER trying to avoid a test and then tamper with a test is why he should have had the book thrown at him.

WADA is a disgrace of an organisation but Riolli should have gotten 4 years.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Disagree.

You agree to abide by the WADA code (significant parts that I disagree with) so you take the test. You don't try and avoid it and you don't try and put in a substitute.

Who cares if he submitted it at a later time? He may have had something worth testing for in his system that metabolised.

The fact he tested positive for something AFTER trying to avoid a test and then tamper with a test is why he should have had the book thrown at him.

WADA is a disgrace of an organisation but Riolli should have gotten 4 years.
You know 4 years was the maximum not the default right?

Crowley faced 4, received 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back