News We’re going to Dingleyland! Construction to begin.

Thats a lack of foresight, 20 years time you still expect the transport to be terrible?
In a word, Yes.

It's not feasible, or forseeable in anywhere near that timeframe. Our train network to 2050 has already been planned; the closest rail will remain Clayton. Without close rail, you need ample room for parking, buses, etc

Portable put-up/take down stands are way more likely, strictly on a needs basis, changing event by event (e.g. practice games, final training in Grand Final week, etc etc)

And still no rail link to Doncaster despite how many years that's been lobbied for.
It's in the 2050 plan I just mentioned...just missing out on the first stage, from Cheltenham to Box Hill

Rimsy

Debutant
Sep 29, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi again all. Im guessing our research team called someone the other day for the most recent update and that they had someone getting back to them with further information. As I got this notification this morning and it doesnt seem to be a good one, like always this comes with the standard disclaimer that *this information is subject to change*

- Commence Date has changed from 10 Sep 2021 to 10 Dec 2022

I would like to think that the change to the year is a typo and that someone at my work has gotten something wrong, but if its not then its not a good situation.
I got no change to the expected end date. Since the last update said it was expected to be done by june 2023 - I somehow cant see them finishing a project of this magnitude within 6 months...

We'll either see an update to the end date to something even a few more years away...
I'm hoping to see an earlier start time and am hoping against all hope that someone's just made a typo.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know its a pipe dream, but was a capacity (30-35k) stadium ever proposed. Massive money spinner for every non-melbourne club, and we could potentially rent it out to other sports events in the south east (a league comes to mind)

Charchi

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know its a pipe dream, but was a capacity (30-35k) stadium ever proposed. Massive money spinner for every non-melbourne club, and we could potentially rent it out to other sports events in the south east (a league comes to mind)

The only way it could approach being a money spinner is if we get $200M plus in grants like Geelong, even then playing 4 games a year there would not be worth it. Launceston is a good gauge, I doubt they make enough in 4 Hawthorn games to pay for the ground for a year.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The only way it could approach being a money spinner is if we get $200M plus in grants like Geelong, even then playing 4 games a year there would not be worth it. Launceston is a good gauge, I doubt they make enough in 4 Hawthorn games to pay for the ground for a year.

In addition, Kardina Park is exceptionally well-serviced by public transport and is in the heart of the Geelong CBD.

Between 2011-19 our average MCG crowd against a non Victorian club was 37323 (max. 72,723, min 14,036)

32185 (less Sydney games) (max. 50,023, min 14,036)

Presuming we have a core of about 28,000 to 30,000 that go to MCG games and 25,000 that go to Docklands games (based on attendances for home games there) how many would venture to watch us play at a suburban venue that is not serviced by public transport, away from a CBD?

I reckon we would be lucky to get half the number of fans that we would get to the MCG or Docklands (say 15,000 being generous) and no corporate partners would be happy venturing out there for games.

If we want to go down the boutique pathway a Princes Park or Junction Oval type ground shared by the other 9 Melbourne based clubs is the only structure that would probably work

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure where all the planned stations are going but there will be a new rail link from Cheltenham to Clayton that will somewhat improve access to dingley.

A lot of new developments in the area will lead to some improvement in pt but likely just a few bus routes.

I really wish we could ban greyhound racing and then we could buy sandown greyhound track and convert it for training and playing low drawing matches.

That being said, if Victoria park and Princess park aren't being used for the smaller games against sides like gold coast ir freemantle we have no luck of building a stadium in dingley for it. I know Collingwood and Carlton probably make do on mcg or marvel with thier supporter base but you'd think some club would take it. But afl want more games at marvel so after tassie we will be forced there.

Dec 17, 2008
Sir Kenneth Luke Stand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The Mayblooms
Thought I'd post this here because of the Dingley reference.

LEAGUE LIST MANAGEMENT BOSS DEPARTS FOR HAWTHORN

THE AFL is searching for a new head of list management and game analysis after Josh Vanderloo announced his departure for Hawthorn.

Vanderloo, who has worked at the AFL for more than a decade, has taken on a role on the Hawks' executive as the general manager of operations and special projects under chief executive Justin Reeves.

He is expected to play a key role in the club's upcoming relocation to Dingley after the departure of chief operating officer Tim Silvers to Adelaide as the Crows' new CEO.

Vanderloo, who had replaced long-time player movement and TPP guru Ken Wood in the top seat in November, will remain at the AFL until after the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft which he will oversee in 2021. – Mitch Cleary

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Thought I'd post this here because of the Dingley reference.

LEAGUE LIST MANAGEMENT BOSS DEPARTS FOR HAWTHORN

THE AFL is searching for a new head of list management and game analysis after Josh Vanderloo announced his departure for Hawthorn.

Vanderloo, who has worked at the AFL for more than a decade, has taken on a role on the Hawks' executive as the general manager of operations and special projects under chief executive Justin Reeves.

He is expected to play a key role in the club's upcoming relocation to Dingley after the departure of chief operating officer Tim Silvers to Adelaide as the Crows' new CEO.

Vanderloo, who had replaced long-time player movement and TPP guru Ken Wood in the top seat in November, will remain at the AFL until after the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft which he will oversee in 2021. – Mitch Cleary
Nice to get some personnel from AFL especially after they've been pinching some of our big honchos over the years.

Opens positions

Senior List
Oct 30, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Funding is provided and held in central contingency for a range of AFL/AFLW and VFL infrastructure and community projects including Gosch’s Paddock upgrade (Melbourne FC), Kennedy Community Centre Dingley (Hawthorn FC) and Downer Oval (Williamstown Seagulls FC). Release of funds from contingency will be subject to finalisation of project scopes and funding profiles, and decisions regarding AFLW expansion.

Last edited:

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Heard that before *cough* *cough* anyone else smell smoke?
He simply said he had attended a life members function and that's what he had been told. He seemed to think that the new acting premier (a Hawthorn supporter) had something to do with it.
But who knows, Jeff could probably get that changed!

Last edited:
Drove passed today. Nice signage.

35EABFC1-4557-42D0-BBD5-E2227BA0A6A5.jpeg

Back