The Manager Merry-go-Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a shame, the Red Sox breaking the Curse of the Bambino in 2004 was my most precious sporting memory (it's now 2nd or equal to Leeds winning promotion last year and the party that went on)

images

I actually have this book and read it several times. It was such an exquisite piece of timing by Stephen King and his mate to do a season long blog of the Red Sox in the year they broke a 86 year old curse.

I know much prefer baseball to cricket these days.
I have a dream to visit Fenway Park as much as I want to Elland Rd one day.

Have you watched Ken Burns Baseball? Highly recommended series that delves into Baseball history. Makes you realize that Baseball is easily the most historical North American sport there is. You should check it out, there have been 10 innings (episodes) of the series, going from very early history in the 1840s to 2009. I hope there is another episode as that would mean the 2016 Chicago Cubs would be featured. The episodes are on YouTube.

Have you watched Ken Burns Baseball? Highly recommended series that delves into Baseball history. Makes you realize that Baseball is easily the most historical North American sport there is. You should check it out, there have been 10 innings (episodes) of the series, going from very early history in the 1840s to 2009. I hope there is another episode as that would mean the 2016 Chicago Cubs would be featured. The episodes are on YouTube.

Not yet but I should (there is so much stuff to watch these days lol)

Not yet but I should (there is so much stuff to watch these days lol)

Mate, you need to eventually get on it. The first 9 innings were all realised in 1994 and then Ken Burns decided to do a 10th inning when the Red Sox broke the curse. The 10th features a lot of the 2004 ALCS between the Sox and Yankees and the steroid scandal. The episodes are quite long (2/2 and a half hours for episodes 1-9 and almost 4 hours for the 10th) but it all comes highly recommended.

I know what you mean about so much stuff to watch these days. There are so many options and I have found myself going off long network shows of 20-22 episodes and going for shorter seasons.

Klopp does tend to stick to a core of players he trusts and you could say he can run players into the ground but he's had to as well to get results. We cant win the league or win the Champions League by playing Origi or Neco Williams etc

City are the bench mark in England and I'm not crying foul, we are one of the richest clubs in the world and in England but again there are levels. To compete with City we had to get everything right and we had to over play a lot of players as we simply dont have the money to compete with City.

Look at their attacking options. Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Mahrez, Torres, B.Silva and in recent seasons Sane and D.Silva.

Yes we have Mane, Mo and Bob. World class but it drops off pretty quickly after that. Only the recent arrival of Jota would be of equal quality to City's attacking back ups. Shaq, Origi and Minamino are not Torres, Bernardo Silva and Mahrez.

Defensively since 17/18 City have bought Ake, Dias, Cancelo, Laporte, Mendy, Walker, Angelino to the tune of 364 million according to Transfer Market. We've spent 447 million since 17/18 on our entire squad. Our entire squad!

Nobody has the money to compete with City so we've had to get everything right which is a great credit to Edwards and Klopp. But the by product of that is having to throw so many games into so few players. Our best XI is as good as anyone's in world football so we thrash them to get results. City's money means they can rotate far more easily and still get away with results.

That's the reality of it and this year it's come back to bite us. But I'm not complaining, you cant take away our CL win or PL title and hopefully when everyone is back and healthy we can win the PL again.
You have the money to compete. Your revenue is one of the highest in the world.

Revenue on its own is not necessarily a great guide to a club's 'well being'.
Deloitte's latest ranking has Barca well in front with regards to revenue;
Screenshot_2021-03-03 Deloitte Football Money League.png
But consider their latest annual report;

In the report, the club acknowledged that its balance sheet currently shows a "negative working capital" of over 604 million euros ($729 million).
It added that this figure "may cast doubt on the application of the going concern principle."
Club financials also showed that Barcelona has a total of $1.4 billion in debt. $322 million of that debt must be paid to banks by the end of June.

Not suggesting that Barca is going to go under but revenue only paints one side of the balance sheet.

Yeah if we get everything right. But clubs like ours cant afford to mess up a 70 million pound signing. For City that's ok. The divide with City's money comes in squad depth. Our best XI is as good as anyones but City's second XI is far better than ours.

I don’t even think it’s about buying 70 million dollar players. It’s about buying less than 30 million dollar players for depth. Complaining about Shaq and origi etc but then not buying depth that he can put his trust in.
But thats the thing. City's depth are 50 million pound players.

Not on the same level as your owners who are barely affected by COVID revenue loss. Chelsea seem to be the only club that will spend big to catch up. Suspect those clubs with owners not bothered about losses will dominate for years to come now until things return to normal which is a good couple of years off at least.

Revenue on its own is not necessarily a great guide to a club's 'well being'.
Deloitte's latest ranking has Barca well in front with regards to revenue;
View attachment 1069094
But consider their latest annual report;

Not suggesting that Barca is going to go under but revenue only paints one side of the balance sheet.

*P&L.

If Liverpool genuinely couldnt have invested more in the squad after two champions league finals a league title and two top two finishes in the past five years, you really have to worry if they do drop down the standings and/or miss out on champions league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah if we get everything right. But clubs like ours cant afford to mess up a 70 million pound signing. For City that's ok. The divide with City's money comes in squad depth. Our best XI is as good as anyones but City's second XI is far better than ours.
We've never spent as much as £70m on a player so I guess time will tell on that.

Probably our most expensive flop was Mendy who cost less than Keita for example.

Last edited:
We've never spent as much as £70m on a player so I guess time will tell on that.

Probably our most expensive flop was Mendy who cost less than Keita for example.

Otamendi would be up there?

Otamendi would be up there?
Not even close.

£24m he cost IIRC and while he frustrated the hell out of me he was also our best defender in a title winning season.

Mangala would be the next one I think.

Not even close.

£24m he cost IIRC and while he frustrated the hell out of me he was also our best defender in a title winning season.

Hm who am I thinking of? Thought one of your flop CBs cost up around 50m?

Hm who am I thinking of? Thought one of your flop CBs cost up around 50m?
Not sure if you saw the Mangala edit.

He cost between £20-40m depending on who you believe.

Steve Bruce short priced favourite (2/1) as next PL manager to be sacked.

Supposed squad disenchantment, Bruce accused of leaking stories, missing top 2 scorers in Wilson & Almiron, plus Saint-Maximin.
Away to WBA this weekend.

Newly appointed locally born coach Graeme Jones ready in the dugout as interim boss, until the triumphant return of Rafa?

Screenshot_2021-03-04 pl ladder - Google Search.jpg

Last edited:
Steve Bruce short priced favourite (2/1) as next PL manager to be sacked.

Supposed squad disenchantment, Bruce accused of leaking stories, missing top 2 scorers in Wilson & Almiron, plus Saint-Maximin.
Away to WBA this weekend.

Newly appointed locally born coach Graeme Jones ready in the dugout as interim boss, until the triumphant return of Rafa?

View attachment 1069775

Complete overreaction. Bruce needs more time so I'd say give him until the end of the season before making any decisions.

Complete overreaction. Bruce needs more time so I'd say give him until the end of the season before making any decisions.

Tyne-Wear Derby next season on the cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back