Analysis 2021 - What's the pass mark?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldnt be looking at the seasons end win loss ratio. Nor would I use this to judge Nicks. In fact I would say playing the experienced players and snagging 5 wins would be worse than playing the kids and getting 2 wins. Games of this season are being played for future seasons. The 2025 preseason starts now.

I dont mind finishing bottom as long as we get a good look at the kids, dont pump games into the MacKay types, be competitive and see progress. In the off season see a few retirements and maybe a couple of trades, and a good haul of draftees.

So what is everyone's expectations for 2021?

How many wins is it going to take for you as a supporter to feel satisfied that we're heading the right direction?

For me I would love to see us win at least 6, but anything less than 5 wins will feel like a fail to me.

It's not a win loss thing for me. I want to see us to being competitive for long stretches in matches even if we end up losing every game. Most importantly, I don't want to see senior players being carried when injured or out of form. As soon as some apologist mentions the word experience to support a selection then we're failing and are beyond hope.

It's not a win loss thing for me. I want to see us to being competitive for long stretches in matches even if we end up losing every game. Most importantly, I don't want to see senior players being carried when injured or out of form. As soon as some apologist mentions the word experience to support a selection then we're failing and are beyond hope.

The issue is that if we lose every game Nicks would most probably be sacked at the end of the season.

That's the big question, trust me I'm all for developing our list, but there has to.be a glimmer of what's to come and some visible signs that we've improved from last season.

I guess I'm wondering where the sweet spot is this season where we're happy with both Nicks and the development of our list.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a great idea for fans of the youngest side in the Comp coming off a wooden spoon to set themselves up to fail by listing a bunch of KPI’s.

For me there’s no pass mark and no fail mark before the season gets going. I’ll leave my assessment for the post season

6 to 8 wins

Games into McAdam, Ned, Berry, Pedlar, Filthy RT, Fog, Hately, Harry, Scholl, McPherson and Hamill

Game plan that us attacking and hunts the opposition and seeks the contest

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Continue to build. More good signs please.

The guys that have the potential, to start / continue to realise that potential on the field.

I couldn't care less about the pick we get.

Compete well against the top 8.

Don't get smashed up over all 4 quarters, I'm okay with lapses ... just not complete blackouts.

2021 "Pass Mark" for me isn't just about on field results.

The club needs to continue to show its positive steps towards a Footy focus, as has been evident in recent months. Spin needs to be kept to an absolute minimum.

I would like to see the AFC show it really does care about the supporter base, not just say "We have great supporters". This always sounds so plastic, and actions always speak louder than words (maybe the starchamber will help).

Please revamp the logo!

Selection policy needs to pass the "BigFooty Test". Even though I don't always agree with some of the posters remarks regarding selection, most posters, in hindsight, do get it right.

As for on field, at least five wins. Signs that we have a "Plan B". A sensible balanced approach to the development of our young players. Don't burn them out, but don't wrap them in cotton wool either.

Finally, we need to have shown improvement across all areas; We have to move forward, not backwards.

The issue is that if we lose every game Nicks would most probably be sacked at the end of the season.

That's 8 senior coaches in 12 years. Anyone drafted to our club during this period has the right to tell us to * off quite frankly.

I don’t think it’s a great idea for fans of the youngest side in the Comp coming off a wooden spoon to set themselves up to fail by listing a bunch of KPI’s.

For me there’s no pass mark and no fail mark before the season gets going. I’ll leave my assessment for the post season

There needs to be a pass/fail mark because there always is. That said, any goal which is more expansive then us just finding more players who we could build around in the future is dead on arrival.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too fussed with the win/loss but I want to see a hungry and desperate team. Even last year we looked like we were going through the motions at times.

I think the pressure is on Nicksy to get the team /list heading in the right direction. While I get we can't play all kids he needs to start building a team for the future and getting some minimum standards for the older players.

That's the big question, trust me I'm all for developing our list, but there has to.be a glimmer of what's to come and some visible signs that we've improved from last season.

I guess I'm wondering where the sweet spot is this season where we're happy with both Nicks and the development of our list.

Nicks is not going to be sacked even if we lose every game.

We've lost five best 22 (or close to it) players in Milera, B Crouch, Hartigan, Stengle* and to a lesser extent Atkins (not even counting Gibbs). We brought in nobody of note who will walk into our first 22 so we're relying on significant improvement from everyone under 25 - and nobody else getting worse.

Problem is Walker, Lynch, Sloane, Talia and Mackay will all be worse. Smith, M Crouch, Brown, Seedsman and Kelly were pretty awful in 2020. You can't expect everyone else to take up all the slack right away - and that's going to be at least half the team on the field.

There's every reason to believe we haven't bottomed yet. Our KPD for round 1 are likely to be Butts (21) and McAsey (19) up against Hawkins and Cameron. Don't even mention the midfield. Pick one is still looking good.

* I'm assuming

Nicks is not going to be sacked even if we lose every game.

We've lost five best 22 (or close to it) players in Milera, B Crouch, Hartigan, Stengle* and to a lesser extent Atkins (not even counting Gibbs). We brought in nobody of note who will walk into our first 22 so we're relying on significant improvement from everyone under 25 - and nobody else getting worse.

Problem is Walker, Lynch, Sloane, Talia and Mackay will all be worse. Smith, M Crouch, Brown, Seedsman and Kelly were pretty awful in 2020. You can't expect everyone else to take up all the slack right away - and that's going to be at least half the team on the field.

There's every reason to believe we haven't bottomed yet. Our KPD for round 1 are likely to be Butts (21) and McAsey (19) up against Hawkins and Cameron. Don't even mention the midfield. Pick one is still looking good.

* I'm assuming
Milera barely played last year, and I'd expect significant improvement from a lot of players.

Gee I'd hate to be this negative.

We will win games, even last year when everyone said we were the worst team to take the field in the AFL
history we still won three games in a 17 round season. The gap between us and maybe half a dozen other clubs isn't that big in my opinion. If we bring effort then we can get some wins.

I think we gave him 3 years? So until end of 2022 season.

A long way to go but I really hope we don't go too early and extend half way through this year as we often tend to do.

Based on output so far he is not going to be taken by another club so I think we could hold off until early in the 2022 season but I don't think we will.

A long way to go but I really hope we don't go too early and extend half way through this year as we often tend to do.

Based on output so far he is not going to be taken by another club so I think we could hold off until early in the 2022 season but I don't think we will.

Nope, wait until mid-2022. In fairness, I'm really looking at this year as his first "real" year in charge, given that last year he had to make do with the dregs of Pyke's assistant coaching panel and the COVID situation which made it very hard for him as a first year coach trying to coach a lot of inexperienced players. Even if we're not knocking on the door of the 8, if we can at least see clear progress by mid-2022 then I'd be happy to at least give him another year to make up for his compromised first year.

For me the pass mark is not about the number of wins, it is about seeing some clear improvement from 2020 and that we are getting plenty of games into our younger guys.

I think we will be around the 4-6 win mark, may get one or 2 more, but we need to be competitive each week. I want to see some of the 2nd and 3rd year guys take that next step to become key players in our side. By the end of the year I'd love guys like Sholl, Shoenberg and Hamill to be genuine top 10 players in our side and not fringe players. And then some of the first year players to get a good run of games and establish themselves as starting 22, guys like Berry, Pedlar, Rowe and Thilthorpe should all get a chance to show what they can do. Our starting 22 in 2022 should look a lot different to our starting 22 in 2021.

If this new rule makes the game more faster and free flowing i think the Crows are in for some massive hidings this year. we will not get within 10 goals of the top 4 or 5 sides.

I am hoping for 7 wins... but i think we will win 4 or 5 games. bottom 3 lock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back