Current Paddy Moriarty - Lost in outback Larrimah

Police now believe Paddy and his dog Kellie, have been murdered. $250,000 reward for information.

Paddy Moriarty was last seen in Larrimah at dusk on Saturday 16 December 2017 when he was leaving the Larrimah Hotel on his quad bike, in the company of his red kelpie, Kellie. Despite many searches and investigations, there has been no trace of Paddy or his dog since that day.

A vicious feud between Fran, who runs the tea house and local pub loyalist Paddy, is suspected to be in play.

Fabulous documentary here:

paddy.png

Tues

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting to know that Fran the pie lady was also the last person to see Jamie Herdman before he vanished (so she claims).

Real strange .. the evidence is really clear he made it home and was settling in. The leftover roast chicken he was given is in the microwave, the hat he never went anywhere without , glasses, wallet and money was still there and pouffe he's disappeared halfway through eating his dim sims.

Fran lives right across the road and Owen, who even some locals have never seen is there as well and nobody saw a thing.

Tues

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Paddy's mate who owned the pub has since died without knowing what happened to Paddy and his beloved dog.

Tues

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Real strange .. the evidence is really clear he made it home and was settling in. The leftover roast chicken he was given is in the microwave, the hat he never went anywhere without , glasses, wallet and money was still there and pouffe he's disappeared halfway through eating his dim sims.

Fran lives right across the road and Owen, who even some locals have never seen is there as well and nobody saw a thing.
Nobody seemed to know anything about the mysterious Owen either. For a town containing 14 residents it sure had a lot of secrets it seems.

Nobody seemed to know anything about the mysterious Owen either. For a town containing 14 residents it sure had a lot of secrets it seems.

Yeah that's weird as. Does Owen even exist? How can someone live in a little town like that and be totally invisible?

Tues

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah that's weird as. Does Owen even exist? How can someone live in a little town like that and be totally invisible?
The mysterious Owen is seen on one of the docos - the one showing the inquest, I will try and find the section and post it. I also know someone related to one of the locals and will ask her what the latest is.

This shows a photo of Owen Laurie further down the page. The ABC's 'A Dog Act' was a intensive doco, very well done. I have a copy of the book titled 'Every Man and his Dog' which is a pictorial reference to various blokes around Australia and their dogs - Paddy is on the cover of the hard copy book and I look at it often. :disrelieved: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-03/a-dog-act-homicide-on-the-highway/10575078

Ooh thanks, I must have missed it. Owen looks a bit fitter and stronger than I thought he would be for someone who claims he can't do a thing for osteoporosis.

Tues

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Ooh thanks, I must have missed it. Owen looks a bit fitter and stronger than I thought he would be for someone who claims he can't do a thing for osteoporosis.
And Fran only knew him for about 6 months previously - yet reckons she would trust him with her life.

Tues

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Frans teahouse reviews on Trip Advisor. :oops:

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    41.5 KB · Views: 264
  • Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 251
Jul 3, 2009
tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Just watched the ABC doco on this.

An interesting case & an interesting insight into such a remote town.

Sad that the publican never got to find out what happened to Paddy. Seemed they were great mates.

You'd think the cops would be able to tap the phones of all the people in the town and eventually something would break. But it is a town full of odd people... and it wouldn't suprise me if some of them went months without even really talking to anyone.. especially the reclusive owen.

The inquest was played eight scratchy audio recordings made between January and June 2018 in which Mr Laurie allegedly appears to be talking and singing to himself.

While it was difficult to decipher what was said when the audio was played in court on a loud speaker, Mr Currie told the inquest that in the first recording, detectives who listened to the audio with headphones believe Mr Laurie allegedly s
aid:

"F***king idiots, yeah, tell them what I've done, hit with a f***ing hammer, tell them how I hit you with a f***ing hammer."
Mr Laurie told the inquest he did not make the comments.

He then said he would not be responding to further questions on the grounds that he did not want to incriminate himself.

In the second recording, Mr Laurie allegedly said:

"Well, they didn't f***ing find the hammer, well they can't get me for anything."
In the third recording, he allegedly said:

"I killerated old Paddy I f***ing killerated him… struck him on the head and killerated him … basherated him, doof, yes he did, basherated him."

In the fourth recording, the inquest was told Mr Laurie allegedly said:

"F*ing killer bastard, you killed f**ing Paddy up the bum … donged him on the head, f him, ooh lay la, you f***ing killed Paddy and hit him on the head … smacked him on the f***ing nostrils with me claw hammer."

In another, he allegedly referred to a body:

"You got to find out who f***ing done it are you? That's if you don't find the f***ing body to find out who done it. What you reckon there is a body somewhere and you want to find out who done it and who did it? I can tell you are not finding out."

Simpledon

Rookie
Sep 9, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
He's also under suspicion by others for involvement in Peter Falconio's murder.

The inquest was played eight scratchy audio recordings made between January and June 2018 in which Mr Laurie allegedly appears to be talking and singing to himself.

While it was difficult to decipher what was said when the audio was played in court on a loud speaker, Mr Currie told the inquest that in the first recording, detectives who listened to the audio with headphones believe Mr Laurie allegedly s
aid:

Mr Laurie told the inquest he did not make the comments.

He then said he would not be responding to further questions on the grounds that he did not want to incriminate himself.

In the second recording, Mr Laurie allegedly said:

In the third recording, he allegedly said:

"I killerated old Paddy I f***ing killerated him… struck him on the head and killerated him … basherated him, doof, yes he did, basherated him."

In the fourth recording, the inquest was told Mr Laurie allegedly said:

"F*ing killer bastard, you killed f**ing Paddy up the bum … donged him on the head, f him, ooh lay la, you f***ing killed Paddy and hit him on the head … smacked him on the f***ing nostrils with me claw hammer."

In another, he allegedly referred to a body:

"You got to find out who f***ing done it are you? That's if you don't find the f***ing body to find out who done it. What you reckon there is a body somewhere and you want to find out who done it and who did it? I can tell you are not finding out."

I can't find anywhere in article linking Owen Laurie to Falconio? Only a rumour about a bloke called Brian Roberts yelling at a news report

I can't find anywhere in article linking Owen Laurie to Falconio? Only a rumour about a bloke called Brian Roberts yelling at a news report

There's no official linking of Laurie to Falconio but does it not say in there some information was sent to the cops looking for Peter Falconio's body? The article is so busy and dramatic, I'm not pulling it up again.

I've removed the reference until I've got time to go over all the press again. Sure I actually saw it somewhere that information was sent to detectives on the Falconio case.

That might have been it. Very messy.

Detective Sergeant Matt Allen told the court that he passed on the claims relating to the Falconio case to other detectives.

This is the inquest report on it and i can't find any mention of Murdoch or Falconio anywhere in it.

Thanks for the link BonzaRam

Murdoch and Falconio probably has no relevance to the findings but it was interesting to see how the Coroner in this case came around to referring charges. We have the William Tyrrell case with the Coroner atm with some of of us thinking the Coroner might refer charges.

Comments 101.In my opinion Paddy was killed in the context of and likely due to the ongoing feud he had with his nearest neighbours. He likely died on the evening of 16 December 2017. He had ridden home from the Hotel, put the mostly eaten chicken in the microwave, put his wallet on the table and his hat in its usual place, put the dog food in the dog’s bowl and got his own meal out of the freezer. He then went outside with his dog. There is no evidence as to where he went, however it is likely that the new plants at Fran’s place were of some attraction

Referral 113.I believe that offences may have been committed in connection with the death of Patrick Joseph Moriarty and in accordance with section 35(3) Coroners Act I report my belief to the Commissioner of Police and the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Tues

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Inquest witness connects Paddy Moriarty’s disappearance to Falconio murder
by Independent Staff | Apr 6, 2022 | Court | 0 comments
By CAROLINE GRAHAM AND KYLIE STEVENSON
Two new witnesses have given evidence this morning at the resumed inquest into the disappearance of Paddy Moriarty, with one man connecting the case to the 2001 murder of Peter Falconio.
Mr Moriarty and his dog Kellie went missing from the tiny town of Larrimah, 500km south of Darwin, on December 16, 2017.
Northern Territory Police suspect foul play and last year offered a $250,000 reward for any information that could help solve the case.
The inquest first opened in 2018, just six months after the disappearance, and was held early due to the age and health of many Larrimah residents giving evidence.
The hearing continued at Katherine Courthouse today after more than three years break, with Coroner Greg Cavanagh expected to hand down his findings tomorrow, in what will be his last case before retirement.
Wayne Ian Ledwidge, of Pine Creek, gave evidence that in late 2017 he had driven his friend Brian Roberts to Katherine, where the pair ran into Fran Hodgetts outside the Motor Vehicle Registry.
Ms Hodgetts lived opposite Mr Moriarty in Larrimah and the pair had been in a long-standing feud, in part because Mr Moriarty’s behaviour drove customers away from her teahouse.
Although he had not met Ms Hodgetts before, Mr Ledwidge claimed that when his friend ran into her at Katherine, they had a conversation in which Ms Hodgetts offered Mr Roberts money.
“She said to Brian, ‘that bastard is still giving me a hard time, I need to get rid of him’,” Mr Ledwidge told the court.
“She mentioned that she had $9000 at home and that she could get more.”
Later, when the pair were returning to Pine Creek, Mr Roberts told Mr Ledwidge that he had a mate who would “do the job for $10,000”.
A few weeks later, a news report came on the television about Mr Moriaty’s disappearance, and Mr Roberts, who has since died of natural causes, allegedly blurted out to Mr Ledwidge, “s**t, he didn’t have to do the dog.”
Mr Ledwidge said that after Mr Roberts’ death he started looking into his friend’s background, recalling a time he had commented on the murder of Peter Falconio, saying Bradley John Murdoch hadn’t been responsible, and that Mr Falconio was buried under “a large tree”.
Officer in Charge of the case Detective Sergeant Matt Allen said it was possible the pair had met with Ms Hodgetts in Katherine, probably in late August 2017, however there was no evidence to connect Mr Roberts to Mr Moriarty’s disappearance, nor the Falconio case.
Detective Sergeant Allen said the police investigation had also failed to confirm the allegations made by first witness Michael Pangquee, a truck driver from Darwin, who claimed to have had several conversations with a man named “Richard” about Mr Moriarty.
Mr Pangquee told the court he met Richard through work in 2018 and over the course of a number of evenings drinking, Richard told him he was with another man when Mr Moriarty and his dog were shot and killed, then the pair had a drink over the bodies and buried them.
Mr Pangquee claimed Richard said: “The dog is on top of Paddy. You’ll find the dog first.”

Tues

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
That might have been it. Very messy.

Detective Sergeant Matt Allen told the court that he passed on the claims relating to the Falconio case to other detectives.
A person of interest in the Falconio case was Chris Malouf, stepson of Brian Roberts. Malouf claimed he was camping nearby at the time of the alleged Falconio fiasco and was also a person of interest regarding a deceased dog which had been found shot and buried nearby a few days after the occurrence....and on and on it goes.

Back