Movie Promising Young Woman

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else seen this? Almost finished it's run down here but I thought given the stuff going on in Aus Pol at the moment, that this was a bizarrely well timed movie. Saw it on Wednesday (first movie I've seen in the cinemas in over a year) and really enjoyed it. Well paced thriller with a couple of good twists and turns.

Yeah, quite a few reviews for it in the last movie you saw thread.

Awesome movie. Kind of movie I reckon I could watch again before too long.

Promising Young Woman.

Good film, quite well done and stylish. Hopefully a film that a lot of problematic "nice guys" (the types depicted) see and think about.

Without wanting to spoil it, it will sit with you for a bit.

Carey Mulligan was great, playing against her normal type of character.

Fantastic movie. It's haunted me since I saw it.

I agree (fantastic) but wouldnt say it haunted me. A film like Once were Warriors or Irreversible haunted me. Esp the latter- I still think of that movie when I walk through underpasses.

As for PYW- loved it. Imho they should show that movie in high schools.

I agree (fantastic) but wouldnt say it haunted me. A film like Once were Warriors or Irreversible haunted me. Esp the latter- I still think of that movie when I walk through underpasses.

As for PYW- loved it. Imho they should show that movie in high schools.

I was thinking exactly that. Was wondering how you get through to young men who have poor attitudes towards women and I think showing something like this is the clearest way to try to get through to them. Because it's styled as a drama it's probably a lot more accessible.

Won the AACTA International for Best Picture, a precursor stat which traditionally positions it well for Oscar Best Picture contention. 7/9 AACTA winners ultimately went on to be top 2 Oscar contenders, and the other two (Fury Road’s 6 oscars & Silver Linings Playbook’s rare nom sweep) were significant players as well.

I have one question about the movie that gives away the ending so i will ask under spoilers

Did she think she was going to die when she was going to tattoo the Bo Burnham character? If not do you think she would have committed suicide afterwards? It took me out of the movie thinking about this

I have one question about the movie that gives away the ending so i will ask under spoilers

Did she think she was going to die when she was going to tattoo the Bo Burnham character? If not do you think she would have committed suicide afterwards? It took me out of the movie thinking about this
I think she orchestrated herself getting murdered. It fitted in too perfectly with her plan at the end.

Yeah good question. I also wanna know how he got free of that handcuff as well (but not the other one). Maybe she just didnt care- whether he killed her or not.. she certainly had in place all the info/set up to nail him afterwards. I think the answer to that question is just left up in the air a bit. Tbh- re. the Porter case (or "non" case)- damn im like IF he is guilty, I wish some kind of forensic evidence is being posted thru the mail right now you now.. to ******* get the creep... but unfortunately life aint a Hollywood movie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I think if she'd survived she would have cancelled the planned texts. Remember that the letter sent to the lawyer was sent 'In the event of my death'.

That being said she basically had nothing to live for so I think it was basically an orchestrated suicide. I'd have to watch it again but I wonder if she deliberately doesn't fasten the second handcuff properly. Losing her bf basically broke her.

Agree. am going to watch it again because i need my questions answered lol

I think that is the point tho. You're not going to get concrete answers- unless the director or whoever comes out and maybe explains something.

I watched The Birds the other day. Apparently there is no real reason, nothing Alfred gives as to why the birds attack. I like the movie but come on... give us something.

I think that is the point tho. You're not going to get concrete answers- unless the director or whoever comes out and maybe explains something.

I watched The Birds the other day. Apparently there is no real reason, nothing Alfred gives as to why the birds attack. I like the movie but come on... give us something.
yeah i watched it a while ago and am flummoxed the teacher still has a job after sending the kids to their deaths!

yeah i watched it a while ago and am flummoxed the teacher still has a job after sending the kids to their deaths!

Sorry to go OT.. but i always thought the Love birds had something to do with it- like thats why they make a "big deal" of showing them take the birds with them.. like spooky, they're talking them to San Fran, so the attacks are gonna go nuts down there too.

Idk.

Sorry to go OT.. but i always thought the Love birds had something to do with it- like thats why they make a "big deal" of showing them take the birds with them.. like spooky, they're talking them to San Fran, so the attacks are gonna go nuts down there too.

Idk.
we better not pick too many holes otherwise we might be here all day lol Its still a good rewatchable movie though!

I'm so going to look up more Hitchcock films. Psycho, Rear Window and Dial M, are the first few on my list.

/anyway back to PYW
you have never seen Psycho? i thought everyone has seen that! Its groundbreaking that film. Rear Window is interesting. basically a stalker film . I have to add a PYW comment so i stay on track so PYW is groundbreaking too! different to anything else i have seen

you have never seen Psycho? i thought everyone has seen that! Its groundbreaking that film. Rear Window is interesting. basically a stalker film . I have to add a PYW comment so i stay on track so PYW is groundbreaking too! different to anything else i have seen

I've seen the "frame by frame" remake. (I worked at hoyts at the time, so saw it for free). And I've also read Janet Leigh's autobiography (she goes into great detail about what happened on the set in that)... so i feel like I have seen it.

10000% wanna see the original tho.

Rear and Dial- i vaguely recall seeing as a kid. Would be like seeing it for the first time, cause i cant remember much from it.

Imho. It should be on the syllabus for Year 9s.

I think they'd be mature enough to handle and discuss it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back