Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters
Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Kicked 2 or 3 from half back. Nothing odd about starting him ahead of the ball, his skill set wasn't totally contradictory to the role. Unlike Mackay.

Ellen didn't just "start ahead of the ball". He started at full forward in a GF in the 90s. It was a surprise. I don't know why we're arguing the point. It'd be like Doedee starting there in a GF.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
You don't make 75% of the fan base go out of their way to get to the club before or after a game is a pretty major one.
You do understand that over 50% of the supporters who attend the game travel on Public transport, and arrive shortly before the game and leave within 2 hours of the final siren.
And the ones that Drive most walk straight to the Vehicle and leave.
At its best, the Shed only catered for 5% of supporters who attended the game,
It is not viable to build a base just to allow 5% of supporters a shed to us before and after the game.
let's spend the money on creating the best training facility we can, with 2 ovals, one that will allow for AFLW and SANFL home game, generating income for the Crows, not some other club.
As for the supporter's all we need is a small area set aside for coffee and a bite to eat, and if we are lucky a beer or two while they train maybe a BQ area like the old days,

lincsPJ

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
They are up...

They are when you listen to CAs propaganda. They count kids twice, dogs, cats and the seagulls at fine leg in their data.

This is correct but applies equally in all states. Nothing to do with SA's struggles.

I’m unfamiliar with the politics of eastern state grade systems.

But what we know is that the depth is south Australian cricket is been abhorrent at district level for eons. And the talent must be condensed.

If you think participation rates are steadily rising and players are under intense competition for spots in A grade (due to high player numbers) why are we so bad?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ellen didn't just "start ahead of the ball". He started at full forward in a GF in the 90s. It was a surprise. I don't know why we're arguing the point. It'd be like Doedee starting there in a GF.

It was a surprise, but the player wasn't totally suited to the role. That's what I'm saying about Mackay. It's fine to throw players around, like Laird into the midfield which he'd nit done before and I called for. You can see the attributes they have that will help them succeed in that role. Ellen is one of those, Mackay is not.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
What's the importance of the second oval? (Genuine question)
AFL has a preferred facility guideline, outlining 2 oval on 8-10 hectare of land, Yes I know it's preferred, but if you want to get the AFL permission and backing I reckon you need to ensure 2 ovals is part of the plans.
And two ovals allow for an Adeliade Oval size and an MCG size oval, it also reduces wear and tear with 3 teams training and potentially 2 teams playing a full game on the main oval.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
They are when you listen to CAs propaganda. They count kids twice, dogs, cats and the seagulls at fine leg in their data.
Then why did you ask? :p

I’m unfamiliar with the politics of eastern state grade systems.

But what we know is that the depth is south Australian cricket is been abhorrent at district level for eons. And the talent must be condensed.

If you think participation rates are steadily rising and players are under intense competition for spots in A grade (due to high player numbers) why are we so bad?
I do think we should have fewer grade clubs but it's not a magic bullet.

There were 14 grade teams when we won it. There were 13 grade clubs recently when we made back-to-back Shield finals and won a one day final. There were 13 grade teams when we won a bunch of spoons.

When we're bottom the focus returns to the number of grade clubs and ignores everything else (pathways, talent id, coaching, selection, SACA board involvement, cricket staff appointments, facilities, grassroots cricket).

As though we're doing everything perfectly and it's just that the oodles of talent we have is spread a bit too thin, that's all.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
In the metro area perhaps, country wise sport in general.is dying a slow death.
Depends where you go. Barossa and Adelaide Hills are booming. Never been stronger. Mt Gambier's whole comp is on turf now. Whereas towns like Port Augusta and Whyalla struggling from what I hear. Northern areas eg Clare struggling, competitions merging.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Depends where you go. Barossa and Adelaide Hills are booming. Never been stronger. Mt Gambier's whole comp is on turf now. Whereas towns like Port Augusta and Whyalla struggling from what I hear. Northern areas eg Clare struggling, competitions merging.
I live in the hills and have done for most of my life, I can absolutely tell you junior sport here is knackered.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I live in the hills and have done for most of my life, I can absolutely tell you junior sport here is knackered.
There are more junior teams in the hills comp and the Alexandra comp than there have ever been (cricket I mean, not sure other sports)

Further north (Gumeracha, Birdwood) is struggling massively though

Jinglebells32

All Australian
Jul 2, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens, Flinders Pk
He lost me when he said last year that we should try Mackay as a forward pocket. Guy is either talking rubbish or talking about his own past achievements. Has anyone ever seen Mackay change direction by doing anything sharper than a slight veer? Has anyone seen him use the left side of his body? There's nothing he's ever shown that suggests he'd be even as good as terrible playing deep ahead of the ball.
He lost me when he traded Modra.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
There are more junior teams in the hills comp and the Alexandra comp than there have ever been (cricket I mean, not sure other sports)

Make sense, people are slowly moving east and those who do move to the Northern hills are generally older types.

Mt Barker have a very small junior setup frlornthe size of the place.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Make sense, people are slowly moving east and those who do move to the Northern hills are generally older types.

Mt Barker have a very small junior setup frlornthe size of the place.
Yeah Mt Barker are the odd ones out. Biggest town, can't even field an A Grade team. Kids from Mt Barker play everywhere but for Mt Barker for some reason. Wistow (pop. 287) is a bigger club

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Yeah Mt Barker are the odd ones out. Biggest town, can't even field an A Grade team. Kids from Mt Barker play everywhere but for Mt Barker for some reason. Wistow (pop. 287) is a bigger club
Nicer oval too.

Ashbourne as well. Mt Barker as a rule are shocking with sports organisations. It's why the council don't want them using the brand spanking new facility out near Aston Hills.

Scott Burns has been playing cricket for Birdwood this season. I played against his son a few weeks back.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
I genuinely don't think we liked the SANFL ultimatum.

Doesn't leave us with terribly many options.
Olsen was always on board the SANFL train. Literally all he will do as chairman is get the AFC to spend 20 m of fed and state funding on moving us back in with mum and dad.

Writing a letter to the ACC asking if we are in with any chance anywhere in the parklands or not... that was clearly designed to get the very public negative response he wanted. He's a shrewd political operator to the end.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Who actually goes to pre and post game things ?? That should be the absolute furthest from the club's thinking

There's so many venues to visit in the city already.
This is a false equivalence -We don't need to build a new facility- nobody uses the one we have now

The club has to move
The club needs a 2 oval set up with facilities for indoor outdoor training
Why not utilize some of these facilities to have a meeting place for members

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
This is a false equivalence -We don't need to build a new facility- nobody uses the one we have now

The club has to move
The club needs a 2 oval set up with facilities for indoor outdoor training
Why not utilize some of these facilities to have a meeting place for members
It gets used 10 times a year, it's a non-factor.

This facility must be about giving us the best chance of winning games of footy.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Olsen was always on board the SANFL train. Literally all he will do as chairman is get the AFC to spend 20 m of fed and state funding on moving us back in with mum and dad.

Writing a letter to the ACC asking if we are in with any chance anywhere in the parklands or not... that was clearly designed to get the very public negative response he wanted. He's a shrewd political operator to the end.
You've not been right on any of his decisions so far, let's see how you go with this one.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Scott Burns has been playing cricket for Birdwood this season. I played against his son a few weeks back.
They're rubbish too.

The James brothers played for Kersbrook and now they don't even have a cricket club

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
You do understand that over 50% of the supporters who attend the game travel on Public transport, and arrive shortly before the game and leave within 2 hours of the final siren.
And the ones that Drive most walk straight to the Vehicle and leave.
At its best, the Shed only catered for 5% of supporters who attended the game,
It is not viable to build a base just to allow 5% of supporters a shed to us before and after the game.
let's spend the money on creating the best training facility we can, with 2 ovals, one that will allow for AFLW and SANFL home game, generating income for the Crows, not some other club.
As for the supporter's all we need is a small area set aside for coffee and a bite to eat, and if we are lucky a beer or two while they train maybe a BQ area like the old days,

It would be interesting to know of the people who attended the old shed, how many parked on the shed side of football park and how many parked on the West Lakes side.

I'd assume a large majority parked on the shed side... now of course if you know you are going to go to the shed after the game it makes sense to park on that side of the ground, but if they had to park just a relatively short distance away in the West Lakes shops, would they bother going to the shed?

Now people want that moved as far away from the ground as Thebarton? Even mentioning the train or tram stop is only a km away or something, by the time someone gets out of the stadium, lines up for transport, walks the km, it's going to be almost 2 hours after the game.

At best you're getting the crowd that goes to the current after match function anyway (and most of them aren't walking a km) build it for any more and you're relying on the right time slot, the right weather, actually getting a win... just won't happen often enough.

The shed was convenient, if you didn't want to deal with the stress of getting out of the carpark, perfect. A new shed away from AO adds to the stress of the day, not reduce it.

Out of a new facility I want the best of the best for the players/coaches and for supporters, want to feel like when we go there we get to go INTO the club, so not a massive bunker for staff/players and a crowmania and a cafe tacked on the side.

A small stadium for AFLW/SANFL games should be in the plans, even if not for right now, as a phase 2.

Basically thought the Aquatic Centre plans where we could go into and through the building, watch training from inside or outside was the perfect mix so something like that is all I need, can attend in my own time then.

Random thoughts now but it could be interesting if we were to really open it up to the public for those training sessions, if not behind one way glass, sort of like "join us for a training session at 9 am, afterwards Mathew Nicks and x player will be available to the media... an indoor seating area with one way speaker could allow the few supporters who attend the ability to watch the press conference or live stream that on any screens around the facility. Find uses for that glass that can change from transparent to opaque so that at certain times the public can see into the gym and stuff. I don't know just thinking of ways to make it feel like more of the club is on display, without them having to live life with public distraction all of the time.

Last edited:
Who actually goes to pre and post game things ?? That should be the absolute furthest from the club's thinking

There's so many venues to visit in the city already.
I have, but only once in Adelaide. I did numerous times when I lived in Sydney, but back then it was the only game I could get to for the year.

And that 1 time in Adelaide was after the final at Footy Park vs Essendon where we won by something like 90 points. But the guy who was with me was visiting from Canberra and it was his only game for a while.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
This idea has real merit and should at least be explored.
The building is directly across from the two ovals that would be redeveloped.
Karen Rolton oval and Park 12 have already set a precedence that a sporting club can use the parklands as a training venue as long as no administrative headquarters are included in the set up.

It looks to me that the Crows desired a site for their redevelopment that had no land acquisition costs with the parklands being an ideal option.
This has been taken off the table, but acquiring a commercial site directly opposite the ovals does seem a viable alternative.
Yes the site has to be purchased and this involves a major expense but very few businesses I know of have the luxury of obtaining a city site for free.

If we are serious about being based in the city this is the price we may have to pay.
This a long term commitment and the financing would reflect that.
A multi-storey complex with admin, gyms, cafe and large function/training area could all be included.

If a future extension of the tram line is undertaken then this location becomes very accessible.

I'm not sure how big the site footprint needs to be to make this a viable option but surely a development along these lines should at least be considered and not dismissed out of hand.
A feasibility study would determine if this was an option.

Knowing how we've operated in the past the cynic in me feels that Thebarton oval may have already been selected and a lot of the noise around the other plans has been theatre to sell the inevitable outcome.
Why are we in such a rush?
I hope we are looking at every alternative because we won't get another chance.

good analysis. Really good

only thing is time does matter, we’ve got an expiring $15m on the clock

Back