Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

My opinion is we should only keep one of Matt Crouch and Laird, and my preference would be to keep Matt Crouch
Why do we need to get rid of either?

Both are quality.

Midfield sucks and we already have Sloane on a massive contract. Need to play kids so one of the "long contract three" need to make way
Sloane is who we should be moving out of the middle... not Laird nor Crouch.

He's contracted for the next three seasons, we're not trading or dropping our captain
Sure, but there are other positions on the field.

Sloane should be used more uo forward or off a wing.

We need to play who we think will be our best inside mids not our highest paid.

Sure, but there are other positions on the field.

Sloane should be used more uo forward or off a wing.

We need to play who we think will be our best inside mids not our highest paid.

I agree, but I can't see us doing that for any length of time, at least in the next couple of seasons.

I'm also not sure it's enough and I'm not convinced Laird will make it as an elite midfielder

I agree, but I can't see us doing that for any length of time, at least in the next couple of seasons.

I'm also not sure it's enough and I'm not convinced Laird will make it as an elite midfielder
I think he can be a very good one, and he's very different to Matt.

Sloane's the one we need to move out, IMO he could make a very handy wing/hf

Milera did not deserve that contract. Hes been inconsistent and injury prone, appalling decision.

How much weight have you put on his latest injury? Would you have made this comment this time last week?

Huge potential but sadly looks like it may be ruined by injury which is the nature of the game.

I'm pretty sure every single one of our older players has been totally cooked in the final year of their long contract, and often we have given them an additional year (or more) on top of that

Not Mackay, his output is unchanged since about 2011.

Edit - missed the word long. Still, take any opportunity for a backhanded compliment to our little training champ.

And then you end up with Collingwood-style fire sales when all the long term contracts no longer fit within the salary cap and/or needs of the playing list (i.e. need to pay more to younger talent).

Yes, it's Class 101 - Retention 2021, but it's still a disaster waiting to happen. We've already been bitten by it twice (Betts & Jenkins), with another disaster just beginning to unfold (Sloane). Maybe we need to find a way of breaking the cycle?

We're not the same as Pies. They had a perceived contending list so they backended deals to keep it together. We're not backending deals, even if it goes bad, we're no hope of ending up with a Pies style fire sale. That's overly simplistic and exceptionally dumb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on the stage of your team. If you are contending, and those 27-year-olds are vital, then you would want to retain them.

If you are 4-5 years off, there isn't much point a) offering 26-year-old players 6 year deals or b) signing up older players to long contracts

If we were more prepared to force out contracted players there'd be less risk. It's only for personal reasons or payback that we had those convos with JJ and Betts. Players want to play at the level, they'll go when that opportunity is removed from them. Contract or not.

What's worse, the price we paid in 2017 was higher than the price we refused to pay in 2016... for a player who was another year older. We were right to refuse it in 2016. We should never have agreed to it in 2017.

We can't control what's being demanded for a contracted player, we can only refuse to pay, as we did in 2016. The man that took 100% of the credit for not walking away in 2017 walked the plank recently.

Midfield sucks and we already have Sloane on a massive contract. Need to play kids so one of the "long contract three" need to make way

Let's hope it's Sloane, but seeing Seedsman in the middle again is worriesome in terms of coaching group's views on need to inject our youth into that area. I expect Sloane, regardless of output, will be our number one midfielder all year. I think we're a real risk to be focussed on week to week outcomes. The only senior type players at risk of not playing each week are Kelly, Mackay, Seedsman and Murphy. How many games these guys get when not injured will tell the story.

Adam Kelly on Grandstand 9.20 onwards discussion on the Crows, interesting Kelly said Hately needs to do more. WaynesWorld19 Kelly on Hately

Last edited:
Went to the trial today at Norwood . Hately and MCAsey were rubbish . I quite liked the game of Borlase . He is ahead of MCAsey already as he reads the ball better and shows more agility. Worrell is not your typical defender he runs all over the ground which I like for a tall guy .
Newchurch I like the look of as well as Pedler although Pedler looks quite small on the field . Would be good if he was just that few cm’s taller .

Went to the trial today at Norwood . Hately and MCAsey were rubbish . I quite liked the game of Borlase . He is ahead of MCAsey already as he reads the ball better and shows more agility. Worrell is not your typical defender he runs all over the ground which I like for a tall guy .
Newchurch I like the look of as well as Pedler although Pedler looks quite small on the field . Would be good if he was just that few cm’s taller .
Maybe we should consider inserts for Pedlar? images.jpeg-5.jpeg

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back