Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

5 year deals. What could possibly go wrong?

Why do we keep doing this? I’m ok with 4 years but we seem to get bitten with 5 years.

He is an Adelaide boy, he was never going anywhere else ffs! I don’t care if he seemingly had other approaches, he was going nowhere.

Can live with it if predominantly performance based and front loaded.

Last edited:
Everyone here bitches and whines about guys like mgGovern, lever and CC leaving. Yet Laird has shown loyalty to the club and never said anything bad about the club but still people complain about a 5 year deal.

show loyalty and you will be rewarded. He’s been a very good player for a long time and deserve everything he gets.Good luck Lairdy

on what basis Loyalty? Just accepting our offer isn’t loyal, now it may turn out to be but at this stage we don’t know

Why do we keep doing this? I’m ok with 4 years but we seem to get bitten with 5 years.

He is an Adelaide boy, he was never going anywhere else ffs! I don’t care if he seemingly had other approaches, he was going nowhere.

Can live with it if predominantly performance based and front loaded.
The missus is from Melbourne, spooked us.

on what basis Loyalty? Just accepting our offer isn’t loyal, now it may turn out to be but at this stage we don’t know
My opinion is he’s a home town boy that’s been a good player who never has shown any indication of wanting to leave. He’s happy to be here and always talks highly about the club. Happy in Adelaide and happy at crows.
Loyalty works both way

My opinion is he’s a home town boy that’s been a good player who never has shown any indication of wanting to leave. He’s happy to be here and always talks highly about the club. Happy in Adelaide and happy at crows.
Loyalty works both way

See, this is a perfect example of 'identify the problem, suggest the wrong solution'. The trick isnt to develop a culture of cronyist loyalty where people get rewarded above merit

The solution is to develop a club which players want to stay at because it gives them the best chance of success. That is far more likely to assist in player retention than 'loyalty'.

If anything our 'loyalty' to non elite senior players has cost us in the retention stakes.

He’s a great player

He legitimately hasnt been for three full seasons now.

His insistence on accumulating soft ball coupled with entirely non-damaging disposal has been a significant part of our downfall, and is part of the reason why our forward line hasnt stood a chance.

His insistence on accumulating soft ball coupled with entirely non-damaging disposal has been a significant part of our downfall, and is part of the reason why our forward line hasnt stood a chance.
He was in line with the to be dropped early last season, his disposal was always rushed and his decision making was terrible. His move to the midfield was good but he still needs big improvement on that.

I'm glad we threw him into the midfield to get him to earn the ball, seemed to work.

See, this is a perfect example of 'identify the problem, suggest the wrong solution'. The trick isnt to develop a culture of cronyist loyalty where people get rewarded above merit

The solution is to develop a club which players want to stay at because it gives them the best chance of success. That is far more likely to assist in player retention than 'loyalty'.

If anything our 'loyalty' to non elite senior players has cost us in the retention stakes.
You are right in some way, like 1 year deals for 30 year olds. Only problem is free agency has destroyed that, look at Isaac Smith. He is a Hawks legend, was offered first a 1 year deal by them (later a 2 year deal)but still left for another club.
All the power now is with the players and if they don’t like the deal, they leave.
Out of interest, how much would Laird be on?? I don’t think it would be that much

I'm glad we threw him into the midfield to get him to earn the ball, seemed to work.

Too small a sample for me to be comfortable handing out long term contracts off the back of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Five years is almost always questionable unless you’re Michael Jordan.

We all love Rory but there’s just no need for this. Three and then re-assessing when he’s 30 would’ve been perfect.

Last edited:
Saad and Williams ??

We're on the bottom of the ladder, he'd have been given a 5 year deal in a heartbeat elsewhere.

Both starting their new contracts as 26 year olds. Laird will be 28. I doubt he would have gotten a six year deal like Williams, and if he did I would have gladly accepted the top 5 pick in free agency compensation

Nope, you're the one that's got it wrong...think you need to do some research on quality players and free agency in 2021.

Nobody is selling Laird a 3 year deal when he's got 5 years on offer elsewhere.

Yeah you’re right, it’s served us really well in the past.

Personally I’m really looking forward to how Josh Jenkins goes this year, the last year of the five-year contract we gave him. Do you think we’ll play him up forward alongside Fog or use him more in the ruck?

All of which is irrelevant if you want Laird playing in a Crows guernsey for the next 3 years.

The fact we might’ve lost him is not a point in favour of your argument. We have players lording over-sized contracts over us because we’re a s**t club in a very weak bargaining position.

Crouch did it. Keath did it. Greenwood did it.

Try and get the point through your head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back