The Pre-Season Supplementary Selection Period (SSP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldsack out for an extended period with a knee. Who would’ve thought picking a bloke in his 50s might not work out...
Does that mean two vacancies we can now fill if it sis season over, yet still a coach? Well play Ports, well played!

I still think Baldwin would have been a really shrewd choice. You draft key forwards (and to a lesser extent key defenders) knowing full well that most of them will be a bust, injuries or not. It's all a numbers game and having as many shots as possible.

Really that's been the crows list management strategy for some time now and if they had managed to retain their players it would have been paying dividends by this point.

Currently we have Lord, who I think is looking ok, and then really no one else who is a genuine key forward playing at SANFL level. Perhaps Georgiades will play some SANFL but it's not like we are stock full of kpf options for the future. Unless we have an ace up our sleeve going into future trade/draft periods I think this an area which is lacking on our list.

I still think Baldwin would have been a really shrewd choice. You draft key forwards (and to a lesser extent key defenders) knowing full well that most of them will be a bust, injuries or not. It's all a numbers game and having as many shots as possible.

Really that's been the crows list management strategy for some time now and if they had managed to retain their players it would have been paying dividends by this point.

Currently we have Lord, who I think is looking ok, and then really no one else who is a genuine key forward playing at SANFL level. Perhaps Georgiades will play some SANFL but it's not like we are stock full of kpf options for the future. Unless we have an ace up our sleeve going into future trade/draft periods I think this an area which is lacking on our list.

Tall players still available:

JACKSON CALLOW
Clubs:
North Launceston/Tasmania/Allies
Position: Key Forward
Size: 194cm/100kg

LIAM KOLAR
Clubs:
Northern Knights/Vic Metro
Position: Utility
Size: 195cm/81kg

Also:

Zac DUMESNY
Clubs:
South Adelaide/South Australia
Position: Utility
Size: 187cm/80kg

But to be fair, Wiederman and Edwards have shown more to this point in time than Baldwin has.

We have some well drafting on exposed under 16’s form, but Baldwin screams Stringer/Fogarty tweener to me personally and the 16’s form may have recruiters doubting ability to do it against bigger, stronger men, especially if lost a step of pace or anything else.

Win some, lose some. We are doing alright and may have let one slip, but still happy enough with Cripps and Parker’s form over the last 4ish years.

Goldsack is on our list because we couldn’t negotiate the same rules for our reserves team as 16 other clubs. Shame.

But to be fair, Wiederman and Edwards have shown more to this point in time than Baldwin has.
True..... if you don't count proving yourself to be the best U16 Key forward in Australia last time you weren't injured, displaying elite running skills and elite marking ability. He was ahead of Thilthorpe and Ugle-Hagen when injured.

Wiedemann and Edwards have shown themselves to be very good reserves level players so far, so I guess you've got a point.

Whilst I wouldn’t have been against drafting him, certainly as a rookie, I’m not sure we’ve lost what we think we have.

He was a very good, 193cm key forward as a junior. Forwards take time to develop. Taking him as a rookie is really a 2-3 year commitment at least, to see if he has what it takes.

He was a good junior forward who has done his knee, twice. How many players get drafted and become a regular first 22 player after a knee reconstruction as a junior? How many key forwards? How many after 2?

He also would need to develop and get game time, which may impact Lord’s development.

So is it worth picking the kid, for at least 2-3 years, paying that money, maybe stifling Lord’s development, for low risk and some reward?

FORMER North Melbourne tall Majak Daw has officially been granted a career lifeline after being added to Melbourne's list on Tuesday morning.

Daw joins Demons Next Generation Academy graduate Deakyn Smith as a rookie for the 2021 season as part of the Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) signing rules.

Whilst I wouldn’t have been against drafting him, certainly as a rookie, I’m not sure we’ve lost what we think we have.

He was a very good, 193cm key forward as a junior. Forwards take time to develop. Taking him as a rookie is really a 2-3 year commitment at least, to see if he has what it takes.

He was a good junior forward who has done his knee, twice. How many players get drafted and become a regular first 22 player after a knee reconstruction as a junior? How many key forwards? How many after 2?

He also would need to develop and get game time, which may impact Lord’s development.

So is it worth picking the kid, for at least 2-3 years, paying that money, maybe stifling Lord’s development, for low risk and some reward?
I certainly wanted us to draft Baldwin, however this is an excellent, measured and logical analysis.

Am thinking that our recruiters aren't all that silly, and that there is a well considered method to their planning.

Several clubs have begun drafting Supplementals over the past few days, so we may not be as far down the mid season draft ladder as first envisaged, and consequently may be able to jag a promising top-up player after all.

SSP:
Adelaide Crows:
Nicholas Murray
Carlton: Oscar McDonald
Essendon: Kaine Baldwin, Alec Waterman
Hawthorn: Lachlan Bramble
Melbourne: Majak Daw, Deakyn Smith
Richmond: Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Rhyan Mansell
St Kilda: Paul Hunter, Mason Wood
Western Bulldogs: Anthony Scott

The below clubs currently have a list spot/s remaining:
- Collingwood
2 - Melbourne
1 - Essendon
1 - North Melbourne
1 - Port Adelaide
1 - St Kilda
1 - Sydney Swans

Mid-Season Rookie Draft (MSRD)
As a reminder to media, the AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft is scheduled to be held on Wednesday June 2, 2021.

SSP:
Adelaide Crows:
Nicholas Murray
Carlton: Oscar McDonald
Essendon: Kaine Baldwin, Alec Waterman
Hawthorn: Lachlan Bramble
Melbourne: Majak Daw, Deakyn Smith
Richmond: Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Rhyan Mansell
St Kilda: Paul Hunter, Mason Wood
Western Bulldogs: Anthony Scott

The below clubs currently have a list spot/s remaining:
- Collingwood
2 - Melbourne
1 - Essendon
1 - North Melbourne
1 - Port Adelaide
1 - St Kilda
1 - Sydney Swans

Mid-Season Rookie Draft (MSRD)
As a reminder to media, the AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft is scheduled to be held on Wednesday June 2, 2021.

So pick 7 it is

I wonder if that includes milera being on the LTI list? I think we should rule the sack out for the yr he can still coach and we can get 2 more kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back