Preview AAMI Community Series - Pies v Tigers Fri March 5th 7:25pm (Teams Page 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have thought about the game / our style overnight and have come to the conclusion it’s time for us to move our better players out of defence and into the midfield.

Quaynor & Maynard should be majority time mids IMO. Expose these players now. Stop waiting on Sier & Browns to step up.

Crisp, Moore,Chugg
Howe, Roughead, Quaynor
Daicos, Maynard, Pendles
Elliot, Cox, Ruscoe
Sidebottom, Mihocek, McCreery

Grundy, De Goey, Adams

Sier, Tyler, Noble, Cameron

Maynard can rotate back and swap with Crisp when necessary. Vice versa with Quaynor.

IMO, someone like McCreery could be very important. He has produced incredible pressure numbers in SANFL. We need that in the forward line.

Ideally, you would hope that Bianco or Rantall will be competing with Sier & Tyler.

I just think 5 of our top 10 players are in defence.

Howe, Moore, Maynard, Crisp, IQ
Pendles, De Goey, Adams, Sidey, Grundy

We need to try and move the 1st group into positions they can fill up ahead on the field.

I think our defence is experienced enough and have the appropriate structures to teach Chugg on the go.

Why is there so much negativity towards us losing by a goal to the reigning Premiers in a pre-season game? Especially considering we’ve turned over nearly a quarter of our list for 18 year old draftees?

Agree and lets not forget pushing the second best team in 2020 last week to within 3 points - just inane negativity by so many.

You classify it as the worst. A poster asks me to consider rehab.
Why?
I would suggest that poster asked that question to hurt, and to show off. Is that the poster’s worst or truth?

Is it who they really are?
Yep, definately rehab, you seem to be in complete denial

The high level of vituperation here is a bit of a shock to one who doesn't usually do more than skim these threads. The things I took from the televised version of the game were.
1. Grundy played very well. I don't get the hate.
2. Cox went from patsy to the future of the club between half time and 3 quarter. He was savaged for free kicks as usual, but then got a generous one. He was useful up the field too. The umpires seem to judge him differently to other players.
3. Daicos was quieter than I expected, but did some terrific things.
4. The criticism of his kicking is inside Callum Brown's head now. I don't know how he can get it out.
5. The back line had one of the worst nights I can remember for kicking accuracy. Thank God it was only a practice match.
6. Darcy Moore is a very long kick, but he is poor at hitting targets. The back line tactics have to be set for this.
7. Howe is as good as ever.
8. Thomas had quite a good game. Unjustly criticized.
9. Hoskin-Elliott had as bad one, but that is a feature of half forward flankers.
10. DESPITE EVERY PROBLEM, PARTICULARLY WITH DISPOSAL WHICH COST MULTIPLE GOALS, WE LOST TO A VERY STRONG AND COMMITTED RICHMOND BY A GOAL. I find this encouraging, and it is a better situation than I expected given all the flak that Collingwood has faced this off season since the disaster of trade week.

The high level of vituperation here is a bit of a shock to one who doesn't usually do more than skim these threads. The things I took from the televised version of the game were.
1. Grundy played very well. I don't get the hate.
2. Cox went from patsy to the future of the club between half time and 3 quarter. He was savaged for free kicks as usual, but then got a generous one. He was useful up the field too. The umpires seem to judge him differently to other players.
3. Daicos was quieter than I expected, but did some terrific things.
4. The criticism of his kicking is inside Callum Brown's head now. I don't know how he can get it out.
5. The back line had one of the worst nights I can remember for kicking accuracy. Thank God it was only a practice match.
6. Darcy Moore is a very long kick, but he is poor at hitting targets. The back line tactics have to be set for this.
7. Howe is as good as ever.
8. Thomas had quite a good game. Unjustly criticized.
9. Hoskin-Elliott had as bad one, but that is a feature of half forward flankers.
10. DESPITE EVERY PROBLEM, PARTICULARLY WITH DISPOSAL WHICH COST MULTIPLE GOALS, WE LOST TO A VERY STRONG AND COMMITTED RICHMOND BY A GOAL. I find this encouraging, and it is a better situation than I expected given all the flak that Collingwood has faced this off season since the disaster of trade week.
Spot on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before Richmond benched Martin, Cotchin and Grimes we had 3 goals on the board and far less inside 50s.

Our gameplan in the first half was what the melts were about not the end result.
Same as last year, close up in the first half and then open up in the second, didn't work then and I can't see how it will work this year with a lot of new faces

Before Richmond benched Martin, Cotchin and Grimes we had 3 goals on the board and far less inside 50s.

Our gameplan in the first half was what the melts were about not the end result.

They had 19 of their premiership team playing as someone pointed out - and many don't expect us to finish top 8.
Combined with Geel result I don't see how this form against the two best teams of 2020 deserves the derision its getting.
If we'd lost by 10 goals and clearly off the pace, it would be a different story

Last edited:
6. Darcy Moore is a very long kick, but he is poor at hitting targets. The back line tactics have to be set for this

He was Eiite last year doing that but seem of Dissapered this Pre-Season.

Could almost say he was 1 of Richmonds best players last night ;) our Forwards wish they got the Delivery he gave the Tigers Forwards

<SNIP>
Had to Google that one. The rest I agree with.

I have thought about the game / our style overnight and have come to the conclusion it’s time for us to move our better players out of defence and into the midfield.

Quaynor & Maynard should be majority time mids IMO. Expose these players now. Stop waiting on Sier & Browns to step up.

Crisp, Moore,Chugg
Howe, Roughead, Quaynor
Daicos, Maynard, Pendles
Elliot, Cox, Ruscoe
Sidebottom, Mihocek, McCreery

Grundy, De Goey, Adams

Sier, Tyler, Noble, Cameron

Maynard can rotate back and swap with Crisp when necessary. Vice versa with Quaynor.

IMO, someone like McCreery could be very important. He has produced incredible pressure numbers in SANFL. We need that in the forward line.

Ideally, you would hope that Bianco or Rantall will be competing with Sier & Tyler.

I just think 5 of our top 10 players are in defence.

Howe, Moore, Maynard, Crisp, IQ
Pendles, De Goey, Adams, Sidey, Grundy

We need to try and move the 1st group into positions they can fill up ahead on the field.

I think our defence is experienced enough and have the appropriate structures to teach Chugg on the go.
You nailed it , pretty much what I would like to see, give the man a cigar, oh, add in McCrae, will be a star

I thought it was more we stopped missing targets the way we were in the 1st half. Gave players more confidence to run forward of the footy. Martin played the whole game, even if it was reduced tog (64%). I thought Nankers only playing 35% was their most significant benching. But that’s probably balanced by Sidey only playing 9% given the squad was already pretty inexperienced.

They had 19 of their premiership team playing as someone pointed out - and many don't expect us to finish top 8.
Combined with Geel result I don't see how this form against the two best teams of 2020 deserves the derision its getting.
If we'd lost by 10 goals and clearly off the pace, it would be a different story

Did you read the last sentence?

I thought it was more we stopped missing targets the way we were in the 1st half. Gave players more confidence to run forward of the footy. Martin played the whole game, even if it was reduced tog (64%). I thought Nankers only playing 35% was their most significant benching. But that’s probably balanced by Sidey only playing 9% given the squad was already pretty inexperienced.

Martin Cotchin and Grimes played 2 and a half quarters.

Had more to do with Richmonds drop off in intensity and we went from short 20m kicks of the first half to faster movement and 40 to 50m kicks in the 2nd half.

The first half gameplan is atrocious and looks to be our default game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back