Game Day 2021 AFL Community Series - GIANTS v Swans 7th March 1.10PM @ Giants Staditum

Starting line up ;
44D31D7E-90D0-495C-A521-7718FE08BE69.jpeg

I like Bruhn.

Looks like we've run out of legs now. Hard to say whether it's a real problem given it's preseason but seeing guys like Coniglio and Taranto walk back when Swans have the ball is depressingly familiar.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
I like Bruhn.

Looks like we've run out of legs now. Hard to say whether it's a real problem given it's preseason but seeing guys like Coniglio and Taranto walk back when Swans have the ball is depressingly familiar.

It’s a problem. We were so far in front. It’s deflating for fans and player confidence

We were almost 40 points up. Practice match but it’s not great signs

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For all the Giants supporters... What is Idun's game style like? Lock down, Interceptor etc? Will he be a long term best 22 Keeper

More of a lock down. Fumbles a touch when taking the mark, though he has the physical attributes to get to the ball. Has great long arms to get a decent spoil in and can go with any player, it's more about understanding and reading where the ball is going to go that he needs to improve at.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
For all the Giants supporters... What is Idun's game style like? Lock down, Interceptor etc? Will he be a long term best 22 Keeper
Truth is that we haven't seen a huge amount of him, especially with the lack of reserve football last year. I'd have said he's a mix of lockdown and intercept, in that he can spoil and regather or run off his opponent - my concern is mainly his height & we haven't seen a lot of outmarking his opponent, so I don't see him as a first or second defender TBH.

As I've said elsewhere, if we play him as the 7th defender - can do tall or small to an extent - his versatility may work. I'm not sure he's a lock just yet, but he has been talked up by GWS coaching staff over this recent pre-season (and indeed when he was drafted).

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
A good outcome in the end with the 4th quarter resurgence, but the 5 goal to 1 against in the third quarter continues a troubling pattern from 2020. Really need the boys to eliminate those drop-offs from their game. Toby showed his professionalism in that last quarter.

Happy for Briggs to have the hit-out - I don't necessarily think he's quite ready to go for first grade, but in some games I'd prefer to give him a run over Mummy (for his development) if Flynn happens to miss a game here and there.

Otherwise, I thought Buckley played well, has he done enough to take a spot over Finlayson (who didn't have a great time once introduced today)?

Idun was OK, and presuming with all the losses including Lachie Whitfield that he gets a go in the backline.

Tanner Bruhn surely must have sealed a spot for round 1 - he was great in patches (which is often the downside to a junior player), and in the absence of others it would be worth giving him a go.

Taranto, Hopper, Tom Green, Cogs, Ward, Perryman all solid enough.

Sam Reid, oh dear, his stats looked good and with the lack of experience in the backline are we going to hand him a spot for round 1? Where's that facepalm emoji?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

There’s plenty to like about the young talent on show at GWS and Sydney, with a number of fresh faces putting their hand up for Round 1 selection. It was the Giants who ran out winners by 28-points in the crosstown clash on Sunday afternoon.

It was GWS who burst out of the blocks with first-year player Tanner Bruhn slotting three majors in the opening half. In the end it was the midfield class led by Tim Taranto, Jacob Hopper and Josh Kelly that ensured Leon Cameron’s side would end the pre-season with a victory.

GIANTS FIND “ANOTHER BEAUTY”

Ever since they came into the AFL competition in 2012, retention has been a key issue for GWS. But time and time again, their future stars come to the fold when spots open from departures. The Giants lost Jeremy Cameron, Zac Williams and Aiden Corr in the off-season, but gained three top-20 picks. And on Sunday, it was the club’s first who did his Round 1 chances no harm with three first-half goals. Tanner Bruhn was picked with the No.12 selection in 2020 and was touted as one of the best midfielders in the draft pool, with the lack of Victorian action making it hard to place the Geelong Falcons prospect.

The classy onballer played across half forward and his first four kicks resulted in three majors. “The Giants have found themselves another beauty,” St Kilda great Leigh Montagna declared on Fox Footy. Bruhn collected his fourth goal in the dying minutes of the match.

CLASSY GWS MIDFIELD GROUP STILL GOOD ENOUGH TO PUSH FOR SEPTEMBER ACTION

The Giants are a hard team to place in terms of an AFL ladder prediction. But with players such as Tim Taranto, Jacob Hopper and Stephen Coniglio at their disposal, Leon Cameron should be doing his best to get a number of wins on the board. Taranto was the leading disposal winner on the ground with 31 touches, six inside 50s and a goal. An injury last season kept the Victorian to 11 games, with a full pre-season helping him dominating throughout the contest. Hopper’s strength around the ball was clear in the first quarter where he had five clearances, including three centre clearances to help his side bounce out to a big lead. Coniglio’s tackling and pressure around the ball was clear, with the GWS skipper sure to be ensuring he doesn’t fit himself outside the best 22 this season.

Sam Reid, oh dear, his stats looked good and with the lack of experience in the backline are we going to hand him a spot for round 1? Where's that facepalm emoji?
The week prior we gave too much room to Papley and he made us pay

Sam came in with a role and had no goals against him, credit too him giving them something to think about during the season. Especially with teams that need a small forward locked down

He also allowed Perryman, Idun and Cummings to run the ball a lot

Back 6 worked well today !

I think he did his job that well, Taylor came off for Buntine 😂

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Sam came in with a role and had no goals against him, credit too him giving them something to think about during the season. Especially with teams that need a small forward locked down
It was telling last year when we had Corr on guys like Charlie Cameron and Papley, apples tried his best but just wasn't up to it on the smalls

It was telling last year when we had Corr on guys like Charlie Cameron and Papley, apples tried his best but just wasn't up to it on the smalls
Off topic a little but won’t he have some work to do this season at North 🤣

Reid wore Papley like a glove and Heater was much the same when he was playing. Cumming, Idun don’t play that role they both intercept more and attack but all complement each other

I think both Idun and Reid will come out when Phil and Lachie ready, competition for spots is hot even with our injuries which is where we want to be. Boys outside of the 22 coming in and doing their role when needed and making it hard to take them out

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The week prior we gave too much room to Papley and he made us pay

He also allowed Perryman, Idun and Cummings to run the ball a lot.

I was hoping that this year was when we had the players not to need to play Sam Reid (no offence to Sam intended, but ...) :(

I think he did his job that well, Taylor came off for Buntine 😂
And we saw what happened in the third term! I would presume that the change was just designed to give Bunts a run. Can't see we'd be leaving Sam Taylor on the sidelines!

I was hoping that this year was when we had the players not to need to play Sam Reid (no offence to Sam intended, but ...) :(

And we saw what happened in the third term! I would presume that the change was just designed to give Bunts a run. Can't see we'd be leaving Sam Taylor on the sidelines!
We need a player coming through the system that can be a lock down player in the backs

Regarding Bunts agree needed to give him a run and we were up at the time and was pretty warm

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Write up on the game from my favourite on-line media ...

GWS got on top of their cross-town rival 18.6 (114) to 12.14 (86) in a contest that could have been much closer had Sydney taken full advantage of their scoring opportunities. In saying that, the Giants were without some fire-power with Lachie Whitfield, Phil Davis and new recruit, Jesse Hogan all absent. This, coupled with the off-season departures of Zac Willams, Aidan Corr, Jackson Hately, Jye Caldwell, Heath Shaw and gun forward, Jeremy Cameron many expected the Giants to be struggling to find cover. On the contrary, their side looked more dangerous and well-rounded without those big names, with the cohesion evident early. Hopefully, that carries through to the late stages of 2021.

UNSELFISH

The Giants forward line will cause headaches in 2021 due to their extremely unselfish nature. The way they work for one another is extremely impressive and they are all capable of bobbing up and kicking goals when their opportunity comes around. With Jeremy Finlayson, Harry Himmelberg and Jake Riccardi, they can shift matchups around to their liking and due to their mobility they will make any team accountable that like to fly a third tall up in contests.

For me, Himmelberg, in particular, is one of the most underrated forwards in the competition. With the Giants not having Cameron there, he will be more than capable of taking the next step in his career as he does a lot of things well. His footy IQ arguably the most dangerous aspect of his game and his early battles against Tom McCartin provided a wonderful back-and-forth contest.

LITTLE GIANTS

Adding to the mobile tall forwards, the Giants have also unearthed pick 12 Tanner Bruhn, who looks like a perfect fit alongside the star that is Toby Greene. The Giants were able to pull off a coup in nabbing him, as the experts had him getting to Essendon just inside the top 10.

Bruhn had a bit of an injury history but is no doubt a very classy player and he will capitalise on any space afforded to him by the close attention often paid to Greene. Seven combined goals between the pair swung the match towards the Giants. If Bruhn is given a shot in the best 22 it will also allow Greene to pinch hit through the midfield at times.

GWS have added yet another quality string to their bow in what is seemingly a never-ending procession of excellent young players breaking into their side.

THE GIANTS ENGINE ROOM

GWS arguably have the most well-rounded midfield in the competition with an exciting combination of pace, ability and toughness.

Jacob Hopper looks to be ready to take the next step as he looks fitter then he had ever been. He tortured the Swans on the inside with 25 disposals and eight clearances. Tom Green showed very clean hands and linked up well with Tim Taranto, Josh Kelly and Stephen Coniglio while De Boer was (as always) making life very difficult for the opposition, drifting around as a half back for a lot of the contest.

I was also very impressed with Kieran Briggs in the middle. With Brayden Preuss out for an extended period, it’s well and truly his time to grab the number one ruck spot. This midfield group will be absolutely devastating over the next five years as they continue to add class and grunt to an already fearsome mix.

THE DUKES

Jack Buckley looks like a solid developmental player who could even debut in round one as well. I was super impressed by the way he covered the ground, dropping back behind the footy to indicate he had a very solid understanding of the game and knew exactly where to position himself to impact the game a little more than I expected.

QUICK TAKES

Both sides have an impressive array of intercept defenders. For GWS, I loved the game of Sam Reid in particular but the reality is their whole backline is really able to cover a large demographic of forwards. Just like the forward line, they are excellent with their structures, positioning and willingness to cover for each other.

It was no coincidence that the Sydney run coincided with the absence of Sam Taylor, who returned to the GWS side after missing a heap of time due to a bacterial infection (ouch!). He was huge in the first half, mirroring the defensive efforts of Tom McCartin at the other end, and will provide GWS with a huge defensive boost this season. Great to see him back.

As for the Giants, their penchant for stopping to a walk when their opposition raises the heat levels reared its ugly head again in this one, with the ball movement becoming stagnant in the third quarter when the Swans kicked into another gear.

What looked like it could have been a blowout for the Giants turned into a very entertaining game, with young stars and established guns showing there is plenty to look forward to for both Sydney teams in 2021.

I don't see how Bruhn doesn't get the call up for round 1 now. He'll take Daniels spot IMO.

I was really pleased with Buckley's performance, think he's really put his hand up for selection.

Also interesting to hear Leon acknowledge that he would consider making changes to the forward structure and go shorter if need be.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I don't see how Bruhn doesn't get the call up for round 1 now. He'll take Daniels spot IMO.

I was really pleased with Buckley's performance, think he's really put his hand up for selection.

Also interesting to hear Leon acknowledge that he would consider making changes to the forward structure and go shorter if need be.
Yep. Bruhn inf or Daniels. It’ll be interesting to see if Bobby comes in.

Back