AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright 🏅 - Pleads guilty at tribunal, 4 week suspension - 26/3

20 - peter wright.jpg

Contract Status: Free Agent (?) 2027
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 21, TheGrizz

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope he can be a good forward.

Not playing a single game for Gold Coast last year does not fill me with confidence howver.
Dew only wanted two forwards had to play King and a mature body which is Day

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Or — could we actually develop his ability to compete when the ball is on the ground

I would prescribe a combo of agility running, yoga and chasing chickens a la Rocky

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Just build a midfield that can get fast easy ball to him and add another small roving small forward and we’ll be better for it.

Jackie_Moon

Debutant
Feb 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure this was a good move, one paced and he seems to just float around the ground with little purpose.
Needs to be completely reset as a stay at home fwd if he's to add any value to the team.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Looks like he’s in training with none other than our man and ex Suns assistant Dean Solomon

C97C3DBB-07A7-4710-8E71-0EA3D33DDBAA.jpeg

Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Looks like he’s in training with none other than our man and ex Suns assistant Dean Solomon

View attachment 1016997
Hopefully Solly can extract a bit of mongrel out of him during their training together.

Really all he has to do is be able to ruck for 5 to 7 minutes a quarter and take a couple of grabs in the forward line and kick 20 odd goals and he will be a success. Does not have to be close to a star or even dominant.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Really all he has to do is be able to ruck for 5 to 7 minutes a quarter and take a couple of grabs in the forward line and kick 20 odd goals and he will be a success. Does not have to be close to a star or even dominant.

Agree but I'm confident he's already got that crossed off. The interesting thing is how far he can go. If he was to mirror Stewart's improvement to the end of last year, which I don't think sets an unrealistic standard, Wright would end up something close to A grade. That's not to say Stewart is A grade, he was starting from a lower base.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

I dont think contested marking has ever been a slight on wright. Its rather his lack intent when the ball hits the ground and his inability to get around the ground and get involved in the play further up the ground/ defensive pressure in transition. thats why Dew preferred others over him last year. Its the same problem BB has, but Wright is a better contested mark while brown has better forward craft.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Brought the ball to ground.

Shows glimmers of the class that made him a top ten pick. At other times just looks a solid competitor

He is an inherently good shot on goal.. he will improve quickly on last night's kicking

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Brought the ball to ground.

Shows glimmers of the class that made him a top ten pick. At other times just looks a solid competitor

He is an inherently good shot on goal.. he will improve quickly on last night's kicking

Thought there would be more interest/excitement generated by Wright's performance.

3 strong marks (2-3 contested) inside forward 50 (all of them on Blicavs who is an AA standard KPD). 1 strong mark (probably contested) in defence and also got back to provide aerial support for the defence a lot (and to good effect). Laid the smackdown on O'Connor legally. At least 2 tackles inside 50. Some good ruck work and follow up around the ground.

He kicked 1.2 with some uncharacteristic misses and spilled few marks. On balance I thought he was really good.

If he keeps his head in the game week in and week out and last night was a hint of improvement has has made but hasn't been able to display in the last 18 months that game ends up being:

-15 touches (he had 12 due to the spilled marks);
- 9 marks (4/5 contested overall, 3 I50 [2-3 contested], bossing at least 2 down the line which were marks that only giants like him can reach);
- 2 tackles inside 50;
- 11 hit outs from about 25% game time in the ruck; and
- let's give him 2 goals 1 behind.

It's all there, he just did it against really good opposition in a game that was reasonably good quality (even if it was a pre-season game).

What more do people want than that? I've read a lot of comment that indicate he's not being thought of in poster's long term expectations. He's the same age as Langford and Laverde. All of the development has been done and he's now entering his prime. It's 1 game, so I wouldn't take it to the bank just yet, but there is every reason to expect he plays 150 games for us and that they are quality games.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Thought there would be more interest/excitement generated by Wright's performance.

3 strong marks (2-3 contested) inside forward 50 (all of them on Blicavs who is an AA standard KPD). 1 strong mark (probably contested) in defence and also got back to provide aerial support for the defence a lot (and to good effect). Laid the smackdown on O'Connor legally. At least 2 tackles inside 50. Some good ruck work and follow up around the ground.

He kicked 1.2 with some uncharacteristic misses and spilled few marks. On balance I thought he was really good.

If he keeps his head in the game week in and week out and last night was a hint of improvement has has made but hasn't been able to display in the last 18 months that game ends up being:

-15 touches (he had 12 due to the spilled marks);
- 9 marks (4/5 contested overall, 3 I50 [2-3 contested], bossing at least 2 down the line which were marks that only giants like him can reach);
- 2 tackles inside 50;
- 11 hit outs from about 25% game time in the ruck; and
- let's give him 2 goals 1 behind.

It's all there, he just did it against really good opposition in a game that was reasonably good quality (even if it was a pre-season game).

What more do people want than that? I've read a lot of comment that indicate he's not being thought of in poster's long term expectations. He's the same age as Langford and Laverde. All of the development has been done and he's now entering his prime. It's 1 game, so I wouldn't take it to the bank just yet, but there is every reason to expect he plays 150 games for us and that they are quality games.
Totally agree. I was excited.

He isn’t a Mitch Brown or Hartley style hard working hack. He’s a class act with a couple of improvement areas.

I was surprised by how fluid and mobile he looked. I remember his GC time as having a lot of straight lines and hadn’t thought him capable of being truly involved at ground level. Have revised that after last night.

Five mins before he smashed O’Connor I yelled at the telly because it seemed he hadn’t hit the pack hard. Was great to see him immediately atone.

jezion

Rookie
Sep 19, 2014
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
If he puts up a performance like he did last night every week then he has well and truely exceed his expectations

Back