Game Day West Coast vs Cockburn Rd 1 Ansett Cup

Aug 4, 2004
Lilliput
AFL Club
West Coast
To me one of the biggest takes is trew racking up 9 disposals in a quarter of footy. he did look a little apprehensive to kick it however and even though he got found out I was happy he tried the don't argue as when he gets another couple of preseasons and strength in that stuff will come off. Even reading into the future however i dont think exxon, trew, winder etc are going to be any better than B grade which means we still need to find some quality mids coming through.
Going off early here Phil, not like you. For context, did you consider Dean Kemp, Brett Heady, Daniel Kerr, Luke Shuey and Andrew Gaff A-graders before they’d played an AFL game?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
A career high of 29 goals for an apparent ‘number one’ forward is, in fact, that bad.

For reference, Willie Rioli kicked 28 goals in 2018, and he was our fifth leading goal scorer that year.

Ryan and Cripps each had 30 in 2019, and they were our third/fourth leading goal scorers.

Ryan had 26 as our third leader last year.

29 is a very upsetting ‘achievement’.
Not that you would care....

He was only playing half a season if you look at his 2017-19 stats.

2017 he was fully fit but was rotating between AFL and WAFL games. Kicked 41 goals for Peel in 2017 and Played in a WAFL Premiership with Peel Along with the Legendary Zac Dawson. Theres a photo of Zac Dawson with the WAFL trophy somewhere.....

Kicked 10 goals, 7 behinds from 9 games in 2018 but didnt play a game between rounds 6-19 due to injury.

Kicked 13 goals and 10 behinds from 9 games in the 1st half of 2019 then got a foot injury vs essendon and was out for the season.

Saying that. He did kick 29 goals and 13 behinds and was in the top 5 goal kickers last season.

I see Taberner kick 30-35 goals this season. Possibly 40 if he plays 20-22 games.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
So we seem to be making a significant effort to block the corridor on the mark. It was clear we got into position early, way off the actual mark and just stood there until the umps called stand. Happened all over the field. Didn't notice it so much from Freo and didn't watch any other games, was this used throughout? Just seemed like it's drilled into us and was quite blatant. Probably get an email during the week to cut it out
Yeah no doubt they’ll be all over that “competitive advantage” tomorrow morning. Meanwhile Richmond has been creeping the mark for years and are probably onto something similar no doubt.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Not here to start a Poo fight.

Seems both teams had key players out.

Freo didnt have Sean Darcy play as he was under an injury cloud. Lloyd meek wearing 22 for freo had a solid game. Dead certain to play round 1 With Lobb getting injured and Darcy unfit.

Dont care about the Free kick count today, its a Preseason game. Its about players on both sides getting ready for the season.

My mob has the demons at the MCG on a saturday, while your mob has gold coast at home on that sunday arvo.

Felt sorry for Zac Langdon. It was a nasty head hit. I feared he Broke his neck after seeing the replay.
We are a team not a mob

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Witherden is OK but I’ll be annoyed if he gets a gig in front of Rotham.
Witherden fitted in well he plays Rd 1 for mine !
Not that you would care....

He was only playing half a season if you look at his 2017-19 stats.

2017 he was fully fit but was rotating between AFL and WAFL games. Kicked 41 goals for Peel in 2017 and Played in a WAFL Premiership with Peel Along with the Legendary Zac Dawson. Theres a photo of Zac Dawson with the WAFL trophy somewhere.....

Kicked 10 goals, 7 behinds from 9 games in 2018 but didnt play a game between rounds 6-19 due to injury.

Kicked 13 goals and 10 behinds from 9 games in the 1st half of 2019 then got a foot injury vs essendon and was out for the season.

Saying that. He did kick 29 goals and 13 behinds and was in the top 5 goal kickers last season.
e
I see Taberner kick 30-35 goals this season. Possibly 40 if he plays 20-22 games.
It’s a practice game coming off a crap year last year. Taberner had one of those days but he was in place Ike and just off marking a number of balls. He is still your best option at full forward and given the number of small forwards you have, even if he halves the contest, it is a good thing for the team as a whole. Once he gets some touch back, he’ll be fine. Like a lot of your big guys though, he is injury prone.

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Channel 7 reporting Langdon out for 7 weeks.

How they come up with that. That's got to be wrong.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

UseR2006

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Simmo in the presser was saying he was up and about in the rooms after the game so is a wait and see but nothing broken. Who ever mentioned 7 weeks is just pulling numbers out of their arse.

More likely they will wait and see if the concussion symptoms clear and go from there. so the 12 days currently and then reassess. Likely ok for Rd 1 at worst Round 2-3 if they want to be super cautious about it.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Liam Ryan is a pleasure to watch.
Who is number 18 for you guys? Is it Jermaine Jones? Quite liked his game.

duggan was good. That mullet is as filthy as Tobe Watson’s ranga tache

Nic was good in parts. Took a while to warm up and I thought Meek held his own.
Hope Langdon and Shep are ok 👍
Meek gave vardy a real touch up as well

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd say 80% of clubs are doing it and the other 20% will be doing it also in two weeks' time.

St Kilda and Port in their matches were probably the most aggressive with the positioning to deny the corridor.

It just seems odd to me that the umpire does not come in and direct the defending player to get to the actual mark - may have to re-read what the rule of law is on this is regard to the call to "stand" and its location.
And how do they adjudicate play on fo stepping off the line? Is the line to the actual mark, the player on the mark, or some other point?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watching it from the PREMIERSHIP TERRACE... *pause for applause*

My biggest takewaway, other than Ryan, was Trew. And i'm glad to jump on BF this morning and see everyone else thinking the same thing.

I was surprised that only 2 of his 9 disposals was contested, because to me it looked like any time he hunted the footy in a contested situation he'd win it.

VERY clean player. Neat skills by hand, as described, plus obviously is a total campaigner.

Chuffed. Draft an actual proper midfielder and watch him come in and make an impact. Who'd have thought. That goes for XON as well :thumbsu:

Also Taberner is the funniest player in the AFL. I'd call out "Watch this gaiz, get ready for the tabs show" to my Cockburn mates and he'd never let me down.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
And how do they adjudicate play on fo stepping off the line? Is the line to the actual mark, the player on the mark, or some other point?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pretty simple really, the umpire just has to use the Pythagorean theorem to figure out the length of the hypotenuse then play can continue.

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Not sure it’s all that harsh. His kick to a 1 v 3 inside our 50 was a good example. Didn’t say he didn’t play a good game otherwise
He did just throw it on the boot a couple of times but so did Sheed and gaff. Sometimes you just have to get it out of the area. In the past his disposal has been good but he wasn’t getting enough of the ball so yesterday was good. Both Trew and Winder looked assured as well given they only had one quarter thrown at them

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
He did just throw it on the boot a couple of times but so did Sheed and gaff. Sometimes you just have to get it out of the area. In the past his disposal has been good but he wasn’t getting enough of the ball so yesterday was good. Both Trew and Winder looked assured as well given they only had one quarter thrown at them
No doubt Sheed and Gaff do it too, and it’s also frustrating when they do it. Like I said, not suggesting O’Neill didn’t have an improved game overall

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Pretty simple really, the umpire just has to use the Pythagorean theorem to figure out the length of the hypotenuse then play can continue.
Wrong

if nn is playing then he has to invent a new rule on the spot that multiplies it by the player on the marks weight then divides it by nn ‘s weight.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
The thing i hate about throwing it on the boot at all is that when we are being beaten it becomes the first choice and not the last choice.

id rather we get done holding the ball than do it at all so it truly stays as a last choice

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Also Taberner is the funniest player in the AFL. I'd call out "Watch this gaiz, get ready for the tabs show" to my Cockburn mates and he'd never let me down.
I've seen him play some pretty decent games for Freo, but yesterday's outing was absolute gold from a comedy perspective.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah Jamaine Jones - his actual number is 31 this year, but Castore still haven't supplied the 2021 guernseys yet...

Was using Venable's 2020 no.18 today, which raises other questions, as presumably his no.47 from last year would have sufficed.

Agree though, his preseason has been impressive, adding a deal of forward pressure which has been missing from the team in recent times.

Similarly, Langdon was in (Johnson's) 38, when his official number is 7.

Witherden was in 45 (formerly Nic Reid's), when his official number is 23.

He looks a lot leaner this year so maybe the 47 was a size up.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
5) ryan
4) duggan
3) shuey
2) cripps
1) sheppard

Was really happy with that - we looked more fumbly rd1 last year and the year before

Top 3 pick themselves. I thought Sheed was damaging by foot and had a real presence on the ground. I really liked Tom Cole's game. It felt like he was everywhere and was really strong defensively, 7 marks 5 tackles.

Positives:

I thought Darling played a very good game. Kicked his usual 2 goals, missed a couple he would normally make, and was very unselfish in giving a couple of goals to his teammates.

Petrucelle seems to be back to where he was in Round 1 2020. It felt like he was poised to have a breakout year last year after a good 2019. He had a good round 1 performance and then when footy returned he was completely AWOL. Not sure what happened, but he wasn't the same after the covid break, so I thought yesterday was a big step in the right direction for him.

Loved Trew's mongrel with a shove in the back to Brayshaw. He comes across as someone who has a chip on his shoulder for being pot shotted by Sumich for being a sook and I like the burning competitiveness he seems to have.

What I said in December;

A slightly left field option I reckon is Trew. Suma put him on blast and he should use that to motivate him over the summer, and earn the respect of his team mates. He should aim to play in the marsh series and try and break into the senior side, even if it is just for a stint to get a taste. I have a feeling that Yeo won’t play the first half of the season, so there is a spot in the midfield up for grabs between Ainsworth/XON/Trew

I'm not sure he was given enough time to put his hand up for round 1, but I reckon we will see him play some time in the early part of this year.

Negatives:

Sad to say but Vardy is cooked. He has no nous in the ruck, and doesn't offer enough up forward. Was a big reason we won in 2018. He was the highest rated player in the last quarter of the GF but hasn't been seen since. If Williams is right to go, he plays. Vardy is option of last resort, and this year will be his last year on our list.

Last edited:
Back