MMA-UFC UFC 259

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m an Izzy fan, I think he has the brash confidence and style to make the persona interesting but is still a fighter at heart.
Only thing that really annoys me about him is for a guy who says he doesn't care what people think, he might actually care the most of any fighter I've ever seen..

Atleast he is himself though, reasonably genuine.

For all Izzy's height, that was a genuine middleweight vs a genuine light heavyweight. Adesanya was trying to explode out of positions and Jan wasn't even budging. That 10kg made all the difference.

For all Izzy's height, that was a genuine middleweight vs a genuine light heavyweight. Adesanya was trying to explode out of positions and Jan wasn't even budging. That 10kg made all the difference.
Yep plus I've never seen Izzy so tentative, which fair enough too but he certainly wasn't countering like normal because he was more concerned with not getting hit.

I think Izzy losing to Jan is good for the sport. It really legitimises the "Champ champ" status, which imo Nunes, DC and Cejudo are the only ones to have achieved it. We've now seen Max Holloway and Izzy, and you could even throw in McGregor too, all fail to achieve it. All going up to fight not just heavier guys but better wrestlers/grapplers.

I think Izzy losing to Jan is good for the sport. It really legitimises the "Champ champ" status, which imo Nunes, DC and Cejudo are the only ones to have achieved it. We've now seen Max Holloway and Izzy, and you could even throw in McGregor too, all fail to achieve it. All going up to fight not just heavier guys but better wrestlers/grapplers.
How do you say DC did it if McGregor didn't?

Not against the real champion if you wanna 'legitimise' it

And are you referring to his loss to Stipe?

I think that's unrealistic if you're saying the condition for "legitimacy" is that you need to successfully defend against the previous champ

Side note, reckon Izzy may have converted me.

His post fight presser was really impressive, didn't make many excuses and showed a lot of humility. When people cop big losses, shows a lot about who they are.
The guy has enormous confidence in himself and usually that can go one of two ways. He's obviously the type that takes it on the chin, knowing he will come back from it. It's exactly want you want in a fighter.

If only he didn't actually care what people thought of him, then he probably would be one of the more likable fighters we've seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see how you can even question the legitimacy of his LHW title though? He defended it multiple times

The fact Jon Jones had it stripped from him twice is beyond Cormier's control or anyone else's for that matter
You're really struggling to follow along.
You said Conors doesn't count so then I asked how can you count Cormiers?
I count both, you were picking and choosing

You're really struggling to follow along.
You said Conors doesn't count so then I asked how can you count Cormiers?
I count both, you were picking and choosing

And I said DC successfully defended both titles. Whereas for Conor, he hasn't?

This topic is aways going to be based on the subjective criteria each person sets on it. What makes it legitimate? Successful title defenses? Simply taking it off a previous champ? Everyone's going to interpret it different, which is why I said "imo".

And I said DC successfully defended both titles. Whereas for Conor, he hasn't?

This topic is aways going to be based on the subjective criteria each person sets on it. What makes it legitimate? Successful title defenses? Simply taking it off a previous champ? Everyone's going to interpret it different, which is why I said "imo".
Well I'm not sure if I count Cormiers seeing as he couldn't beat Jones twice.

When people cop big losses, shows a lot about who they are.
But is this a 'big loss' for him? He still gets to walk away with his middleweight belt, so the only thing he lost was a big payday fighting Jones and his having his first loss. He also got to prove he can be a challenger at LHW and would be favourite against most of the ranked LHW's.

But is this a 'big loss' for him? He still gets to walk away with his middleweight belt, so the only thing he lost was a big payday fighting Jones and his having his first loss. He also got to prove he can be a challenger at LHW and would be favourite against most of the ranked LHW's.

as a prize fighter it’s a huge loss for him and the ufc.

Lost my s**t at Ngannou responding to Jon’s tweets after the fight
“You wouldn’t even last that long” hahaha. I would love to see Jones vs Ngannou

I wasn't surprised by how well Israel handled himself post-fight.

I've listened to a lot of his interviews, he is way more thoughtful and articulate and humble than most people seem to realise.

Possibly because he does throw out the occasional awkward AF, teenager tier comment. And that's what people remember.

He took a big risk fighting a bloke that much bigger than him, and not just any bloke, but a division champion.

Whoever he fights next, I'll be tuning in, as will most if not all fighting fans. The guy is a rare talent.

And if you can get past the occasional moment of cringe, he is good to listen to in longer interviews as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back