• 5 - 8

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • 9 - 12

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • 13 - 18

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon can never be considered a coaching great without a premiership to his name. It’s ridiculous to say otherwise. The fact that he ‘got close’ a few times just underlines his inadequacy. I would rather punt on an Yze than risk going down a path beaten by two clubs who came up short and who’s lists were then left in the wilderness by Lyon for a decade. He’s yesterday’s man and yesterday’s failure.

Also, these comparisons between coaches and players vis-a-vis premiership success are bogus. You can clearly be an average player who got lucky in a flag winning side, whereas very few if any average coaches win premierships. All of them, barring one or two exceptions, have possessed special qualities that set them apart from the pack.

It's like having a job interview in a bank for the CEO, one who's been a fantastic ceo for multiple banks but just could quite become the best bank in the country and going nah * that give the job to the charismatic bank teller because * it who knows?

It's like having a job interview in a bank for the CEO, one who's been a fantastic ceo for multiple banks but just could quite become the best bank in the country and going nah fu** that give the job to the charismatic bank teller because fu** it who knows?
No it's not, since an assistant coach is closer to a CFO/COO position than a teller. s**t analogy, although I see your point that a solid head who's done the role before and been good, without quite managing great, can be a good pickup.

No it's not, since an assistant coach is closer to a CFO/COO position than a teller. sh*t analogy, although I see your point that a solid head who's done the role before and been good, without quite managing great, can be a good pickup.

Except Yze wasn't THE assistant he was just one of many.

Like seriously, if Troy Chaplin was up for the job people would lose their mind but he has the same experience as Yze as a senior coach.

Except Yze wasn't THE assistant he was just one of many.

Like seriously, if Troy Chaplin was up for the job people would lose their mind but he has the same experience as Yze as a senior coach.
Yeah Yze has a discrete role as forwards/back/mids assistant, not unlike a CFO, COO General Counsel looks after finances, operations, legal matters, etc as part of an exec team.

You're right on senior experience, but Yze also worked at a much more successful club for a longer time than Chaplin has even been assistant. Ideally neither needs to jump up soon as Goody leads us to an undefeated season and 187pt flag win over Geelong.

I'm also wary of Yze as a favourite son getting the gig, given the way that turned out with Hires, Voss and even Bucks.

Yeah Yze has a discrete role as forwards/back/mids assistant, not unlike a CFO, COO General Counsel looks after finances, operations, legal matters, etc as part of an exec team.

You're right on senior experience, but Yze also worked at a much more successful club for a longer time than Chaplin has even been assistant. Ideally neither needs to jump up soon as Goody leads us to an undefeated season and 187pt flag win over Geelong.

I'm also wary of Yze as a favourite son getting the gig, given the way that turned out with Hires, Voss and even Bucks.

Mark Neeld also came from a successful club, watch if we start playing well this year Yze will get arbitrary credit and Goody will get nothing

Mark Neeld also came from a successful club, watch if we start playing well this year Yze will get arbitrary credit and Goody will get nothing
Can’t wait for us to win the flag and Yze gets sent up on stage while Goody has to sit on the ground crying with the losing team

What’s weird is that I genuinely think that with fewer injuries we could have finished top four and/or made a GF in 2017 and still have had the exact same 2018-2020 issue of not threatening any of the really good sides (and being pox in 2019). Our best just looked that good that year and we haven’t produced anything like it since. That’s what weirds me out about Goody, how many coaches go backwards since their first year?

What’s weird is that I genuinely think that with fewer injuries we could have finished top four and/or made a GF in 2017 and still have had the exact same 2018-2020 issue of not threatening any of the really good sides (and being pox in 2019). Our best just looked that good that year and we haven’t produced anything like it since. That’s what weirds me out about Goody, how many coaches go backwards since their first year?

We played better football at the back end of 2018 than we did in 2017, in 2017 we dropped a stupid amount of games to s**t sides whereas in 2018 the Saints game was the only bad loss from memory.

It's like having a job interview in a bank for the CEO, one who's been a fantastic CEO for multiple banks but just could quite become the best bank in the country and going nah fu** that give the job to the charismatic bank teller because fu** it who knows?
"Hello sir/madam. Despite your inability to achieve your goal in multiple previous roles we'd like you to join us and achieve that goal for our bank. Your strong track record of failing to meet objectives makes it clear to us that you can achieve that objective with us despite us having no discernible competitive advantage over our rivals"

nah fu** that

"Hello sir/madam. Despite your inability to achieve your goal in multiple previous roles we'd like you to join us and achieve that goal for our bank. Your strong track record of failing to meet objectives makes it clear to us that you can achieve that objective with us despite us having no discernible competitive advantage over our rivals"

nah fu** that

Pretty stupid way to look at it.
He drew a grand final. So but for a bad bounce had achieved the ultimate goal.
With the worst club in the AFL for finals since 66

But yeah let's hand the keys to blokes who have never done anything because who knows what they could do right 😅

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M22uvUi.jpg

On top of ‘new coach bounce’ Goodwin rode the crest of a wave Roos created in 2018. Since then we’ve seen where his watermark truly sits and he’s been found wanting. I don’t expect this year to be any different. Nice guy but very pedestrian personality wise and as a game day strategist too slow on the uptake.

I don’t see, hear of feel any special coaching qualities in Goodwin. Nothing that gives confidence he is the man to help snap a 57 year hoodoo.

On top of ‘new coach bounce’ Goodwin rode the crest of a wave Roos created in 2018. Since then we’ve seen where his watermark truly sits and he’s been found wanting. I don’t expect this year to be any different. Nice guy but very pedestrian personality wise and as a game day strategist too slow on the uptake.

I don’t see, hear of feel any special coaching qualities in Goodwin. Nothing that gives confidence he is the man to help snap a 57 year hoodoo.

I have more faith in our players than I do in our coach. I hope the latter has a grater bearing on our results than the former, time will tell.

We are ranked 7th for games played (70.0) and 6th for average age (24.6), which for me means we need to be competing. Admittedly, Jetta, Jones, TMac & Hibbo may not be best 22, but this still surprised me all the same.

We also have the least players in the 21-24 age bracket in the league, and the second most in the 24-28 bracket.

We are ranked 7th for games played (70.0) and 6th for average age (24.6), which for me means we need to be competing. Admittedly, Jetta, Jones, TMac & Hibbo may not be best 22, but this still surprised me all the same.

We also have the least players in the 21-24 age bracket in the league, and the second most in the 24-28 bracket.

The weird thing with us though, is that a lot of our depth/rubbish are our oldest players. Means that we have scope for growth. List profile isn't an issue for us. Injecting top end talent last couple years has probably balanced our age profile.

Man these rankings are such dog s**t lol, literally you can go from oldest to youngest by getting rid of 3 old blokes.

All that's important is how many players do you have 25-30 and how good are they.

Looking at the list, some of the players have been on the list/afl system for quite a while you forget how old they are. I suppose you need to remember the draft age is still only 18 but still some are deceivingly young. If you're talking about the 25-30 range players like Oliver and Weideman aren't in that age bracket yet and wont be until 2022. Both those players have shown that at their best they can be excellent players. Oliver particularly he's already made AA and has won two bnf and he still has room for improvement. Weid has only shown in patches but hopefully with brown coming in or if tmac can find some form then hopefully weid can gain some consistency. He looked pretty good teaming up with jackson last year. At the other end of that 25-30 age bracket players like ben brown and McDonald are still only 28. I still have faith that tmac can find some form, brown's a proven forward hopefully he can overcome his injuries. May is a star and just turned 28 gawn doesn't turn 30 until December so he's still got some good footy left in him. Our plus 30s unfortunately look pretty done, jones jetta mitch brown, hibberd (though found some form last year). Melksham and vandenberg running out of time both at 29. Harmes, neal bullen and hunt all shown some promise but have been going backwards since 2018, we need to get them back in form to be honest I have never been convinced with neal bullen but he only just turned 25. Besides that our 25 to 30 list looks good. Add fritta, jacko, rivers and Pickett I'm quite bullish about the next few years. Hopefully with the addition of yze and choco williams we can start to get the best out of our players again.

It's like having a job interview in a bank for the CEO, one who's been a fantastic ceo for multiple banks but just could quite become the best bank in the country and going nah fu** that give the job to the charismatic bank teller because fu** it who knows?
I demand a royal commission into Ross Lyon

Well atleast we know the problem 👍

We could’ve had Ben Brown fit last year with our 60 inside 50s a game and probably still wouldn’t have scored. It was more the way we were entering and also being able to keep re-entering rather than just one and then they bounce out and score at the other end,” Gawn said.

“I’m excited to get Ben and Sam fit … but the main focus is the way we’re moving it and from there being able to lock it in.”

Back