Moved Thread Zac Williams bump

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Robinson getting totally and disproportionately outraged over this on 360. It actually took Dermott of all people to bring it back down to earth and say "hang on a second Mark, is there really any malice in that? Yes, he's done the wrong thing and will be in trouble but c'mon".

He already was, but Robinson is a disgrace and a gronk. There is 0% chance he carries on like that if it's Zach Merrett as the offender. He is so obvious in his intentions and so utterly sh*t at his job.

Rough conduct, careless, high and medium.

1 week.

The concussion test was the killer thst pushed it from low impact to medium.

Fair enough too. Called it.
Did Clark not pass the concussion test though? The impact shouldn't be upgraded just because someone did a concussion test. They'll be done regularly as a precaution. If you fail the test then yes upgrade impact.

Also how it wasn't graded as intentional is beyond me.

Last edited:
Did Clark not pass the concussion test though? The impact shouldn't be upgraded just because someone did a concussion test. They'll be done regularly as a precaution. If you fail the test then yes upgrade impact.

Also how it wasn't graded as intentional is beyond me.

Witb Rough conduct charges its hard to prove intent. Proving he intended to bump is not the same same as proving he intended to engage in Rough conduct.

Hes allowed to bump. It was clumsy and late though, or in other words, careless.

Most Rough conduct charges are graded as careless for this reason.

Compare to a charge of striking where intent is implied by the use of a fist to someone's face.

Striking charges are almost always graded as intentional as a consequence.

Witb Rough conduct charges its hard to prove intent. Proving he intended to bump is not the same same as proving he intended to engage in Rough conduct.

Hes allowed to bump. It was clumsy and late though, or in other words, careless.

Most Rough conduct charges are graded as careless for this reason.

Compare to a charge of striking where intent is implied by the use of a fist to someone's face.

Striking charges are almost always graded as intentional as a consequence.
Thanks, that makes perfect sense of the system, although i think its flawed. I dont want to see the bump go anywhere, its essential to the game in my opinion. In the future if the AFL want to get rid of the Williams action, they can easily do it by saying if you jump to bump it will be classified as intentional. That might stop people leaving the ground to bump but keeps the regular feet planted bump alive. Also anything late should hold some weight as well. Basically try and keep the physicality but keep it fair. Dont think the AFL really know what they're doing in this space.

Mark Robinson getting totally and disproportionately outraged over this on 360. It actually took Dermott of all people to bring it back down to earth and say "hang on a second Mark, is there really any malice in that? Yes, he's done the wrong thing and will be in trouble but c'mon".

He already was, but Robinson is a disgrace and a gronk. There is 0% chance he carries on like that if it's Zach Merrett as the offender. He is so obvious in his intentions and so utterly sh*t at his job.

He always does this - guy is a dinosaur who flip flops on his views depending on which teams are involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the future if the AFL want to get rid of the Williams action, they can easily do it by saying if you jump to bump it will be classified as intentional.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

My biggest concern was the new concussion rule (auto miss 2 weeks if you fail a test). The AFL basically now has to rate any infringement that results in your opponent failing the concussion test as at least 'High impact' (if intentional) or 'Severe' impact (if careless) just to engineer a situation where the guilty party misses more weeks than the victim.

As an alternative to the above, I'd like to see a rule that for any infringement where your opponent misses 2 weeks for a failed concussion test, you get those 2 weeks added to your sentence (or a minimum of 3 weeks is imposed).

Concuss your opponent, and youre out for 3 weeks minimum. That sets the standard.

On the flip side I'm reminded of cases of players who get their jaws broken, and the guilty party is back playing before the victim (who is still watching on and drinking though a straw).

Happened to Kade Simpson a few years back.

Not even sure why he is going for a bump to be honest. Left his feet i agree shouldn't be finding people not guilty based on concussions but yes deserved a week.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I would be utterly flummoxed if he doesn't get suspended.

Not that I personally think he should or shouldn't - but if the AFL are actually serious with this whole 'the head is sacrosanct' rubbish, then what he did is a genuinely serious offence.

you called it. And i would be surprised if the challenge gets up. One week it is.

Strange that they're trying to appeal, seems like an obvious outcome for the action.

If the AFL is serious at all about concussion, welfare of players, and the look of the game, they need to stamp this rubbish out.

Strange that they're trying to appeal, seems like an obvious outcome for the action.

If the AFL is serious at all about concussion, welfare of players, and the look of the game, they need to stamp this rubbish out.
Considering the only consequence for a failed challenge is a 10k fine, there is no real reason not to appeal. Might as well have a go on the off chance he gets a favourable decision

The s**t grading system leaves room for challenges like this. I believe if it gets downgraded to low impact he gets off? No harm in asking the question.

Eye test says one week and I think that’ll remain the case after the challenge.

Interesting if the AFL will use the emotive "head snapped back" and vague 'potential for serious injury' arguments last year to rub out Ben Long from a final or if that is just a one off used.

Wouldn't surprise me if they don't, it is a ridiculous argument. There is 'potential for serious injury' in every single tackle. Every player in the League who tackled Selwood would be rubbed out as his had 'snapped back' every time he was tackled.

Williams was late jumped in the air, the ball was gone, the player was unprotected and his him in the head. Suspend him for that not the emotive and ludicrious arguments the AFL argued to dismiss Long who hit McRea (or Hunter can't remember) crouching while the player had ball in hand and could protect himself, jumped straight up and was not concussed in any way.

One week fair enough.
It wasn't disgustingly dangerous or really even intentional but he made contact with the head while bumping a player.

But I will be keeping a close eye on this joke of an MRP system to see if it has improved at all because it was more than broken last year.

Considering the only consequence for a failed challenge is a 10k fine, there is no real reason not to appeal. Might as well have a go on the off chance he gets a favourable decision

Oh, that's true. I think I read on the AFL website it was 'one week with an early plea', and I wondered if that meant it could ever get to 2 weeks if they didn't accept it.
But if there's just a few dollars on the line why not.

1615256599022.png

Very interestingly from this article going through how incidents are graded by Christian, this bump was graded as low impact and adjudged a fine. Pickett absolutely flushed Heeney on the cheek and technically, this still shows that he too left the ground... Does anyone know if or how Heeney was post this bump?

I'd be very interested to know if anything is explicitly written in the laws/rules regarding 'leaving the ground' when bumping, as media folk seem to be using it as a crutch. Carlton could and should use this footage in Williams' defense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back