Five-star albums

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably not 5-star quality, but it's an awesome album. I'd have it up at the Vs, Vitalogy level.

Ten is the obvious nod as PJ's best, but I wouldn't have it as a 5-star album. Too top-heavy IMO. Great LP though.

I have never really understood the love for Ten. It is a very good album, but is really just a bunch of mid-paced songs that never quite reach the great heights, and most have been severely overplayed for what they are. Pearl Jam have always been best with a more faster edge, or the big rock ballads, with a few great exceptions along the way.

The best, and most rocking song from the Ten sessions was left off (State of Love and Trust), and this would have lifted the record somewhat.

Vs has always been a step up for me, huge rockers in Go and Rearviewmirror, along with improved rock ballads (eg Elderly Woman...). Vitalogy held the standard bringing a bit more polish to the table. No Code seemed to pull it all together, with a bit more artistic flair. Yield is for me the last great PJ album, just could not get into Binaural onwards. I will note, however, that I Am Mine is one of the best songs they ever did.

I have never really understood the love for Ten. It is a very good album, but is really just a bunch of mid-paced songs that never quite reach the great heights, and most have been severely overplayed for what they are. Pearl Jam have always been best with a more faster edge, or the big rock ballads, with a few great exceptions along the way.

The best, and most rocking song from the Ten sessions was left off (State of Love and Trust), and this would have lifted the record somewhat.

Vs has always been a step up for me, huge rockers in Go and Rearviewmirror, along with improved rock ballads (eg Elderly Woman...). Vitalogy held the standard bringing a bit more polish to the table. No Code seemed to pull it all together, with a bit more artistic flair. Yield is for me the last great PJ album, just could not get into Binaural onwards. I will note, however, that I Am Mine is one of the best songs they ever did.
I agree with everything you just said there 👍

I have many that I would tier around the 5 star range but I'll pick a select few.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Deftones - Koi no Yokan
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Tool - Lateralus

I'm also down with orchestral music and soundtrack music, and the soundtrack to the game Nier Automata is ******* spectacular and belongs on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back