Moved Thread Zac Williams bump

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not sure the rules around quoting from other boards so I'll take the name off, but this was just posted (again) on our board.

Ev_0sUQVcAMMqtB

Did Clark leave the field - No

Did Clark continue to play out the game - Yes (21 disposals & 8 clearances)

Given the above is current and correct, I really don't see what leg the AFL has to stand on for upholding a medium impact with regards to Williams bump. Does he deserve a week? I think yes. However given this, I think it's a strong chance Carlton can get it down to a fine, all things being equal (optimistic when talking about the AFL). If Carlton are able to do that, I see the AFL having a rethink over how the rules are written and these things can be adjudicated. They certainly want to stamp out these kind of incidents and this may be 2021s Shaun Burgoyne incident where the wording and laws et al get changed.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not sure the rules around quoting from other boards so I'll take the name off, but this was just posted (again) on our board.

Ev_0sUQVcAMMqtB

Did Clark leave the field - No

Did Clark continue to play out the game - Yes (21 disposals & 8 clearances)

Given the above is current and correct, I really don't see what leg the AFL has to stand on for upholding a medium impact with regards to Williams bump. Does he deserve a week? I think yes. However given this, I think it's a strong chance Carlton can get it down to a fine, all things being equal (optimistic when talking about the AFL). If Carlton are able to do that, I see the AFL having a rethink over how the rules are written and these things can be adjudicated. They certainly want to stamp out these kind of incidents and this may be 2021s Shaun Burgoyne incident where the wording and laws et al get changed.
I think the “and/or” statements give the AFL the leg they need. There was “clearly some impact on the player”.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the “and/or” statements give the AFL the leg they need. There was “clearly some impact on the player”.

What impact though? He got up after 4 or 5 seconds and proceeded to be near BOG. After, NOT DURING the match, he passed a concussion test which was mandatory and is prescribed by the AFL's concussion guidelines. I ask, what impact? Because St. Kilda doctors didn't feel there was any impact at the time and they were correct, because he passed the test afterwards. Can't have it both ways...

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
I'm sorry but Gleeson is setting up a very bad precedent here for the AFL. He has pretty much admitted that the medium impact is based on the concussion test Clark had after the game. This can easily be used by other clubs to get a player suspended. What a ridiculous idea

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
I'm sorry but Gleeson is setting up a very bad precedent here for the AFL. He has pretty much admitted that the medium impact is based on the concussion test Clark had after the game. This can easily be used by other clubs to get a player suspended. What a ridiculous idea

Pretty easy to avoid this problem by not leaving the ground and collecting someone in the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
Pretty easy to avoid this problem by not leaving the ground and collecting someone in the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What does this have to do with anything I said? I never said what Williams did was right, but if there is contact made with the head and a concussion test is administered (during or after the game) the impact must be classified from now on as Medium...

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
What does this have to do with anything I said? I never said what Williams did was right, but if there is contact made with the head and a concussion test is administered (during or after the game) the impact must be classified from now on as Medium...

It wont be, you are reading too much into the rules and not the fact that the afl make it up as they go.

The one match ban was prob fair as Williams left himself no outs, he wasn't making a play on the ball or trying to sheppard. A late bump like that is illegal and a free kick whether its high or not. So getting him in the head really should be a week min.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Happy for Williams to get a week as we don’t need that in our game and it didn’t pass the eye test but the AFL need to have a hard look at their suspension grading system.

Should’ve been low impact and should’ve been let off by the letter of the law. I like the idea behind a grading system but it must be followed.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If u wanna stamp out concussion then these hits must result in suspensions, there's no argument.

Players need to learn they cannot hit each other in the head.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Happy for Williams to get a week as we don’t need that in our game and it didn’t pass the eye test but the AFL need to have a hard look at their suspension grading system.

Should’ve been low impact and should’ve been let off by the letter of the law. I like the idea behind a grading system but it must be followed.

In order for it to be graded as medium ALL it needs is for "clearly some impact on the player". Why don't Carlton fans get this basic point?

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
In order for it to be graded as medium ALL it needs is for "clearly some impact on the player". Why don't Carlton fans get this basic point?

He played out the game was almost BOG. No concussion test deemed required until after the game (which he passed quite easily).

Call this medium impact if you’d like, just know it sets a terrible precedent for the rest of the year.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He played out the game was almost BOG. No concussion test deemed required until after the game (which he passed quite easily).

Call this medium impact if you’d like, just know it sets a terrible precedent for the rest of the year.

The fact he played out the game and passed a concussion tests does NOT mean it cannot or should not be graded as medium impact, do u understand this?

As for a terrible precedent, probably the dumbest take in this whole thread. With the increasing concern around CTE and concussion, any player who deliberately hits another in the head with force must go.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
The fact he played out the game and passed a concussion tests does NOT mean it cannot or should not be graded as medium impact, do u understand this?

As for a terrible precedent, probably the dumbest take in this whole thread. With the increasing concern around CTE and concussion, any player who deliberately hits another in the head with force must go.

So you can get bumped, get up, play out the game perfectly fine and then 2.5 hours later get a concussion test, passing the test, and it is instantly deemed as a medium impact bump? C’mon.

I’m not arguing that Williams shouldn’t go, I initially said he deserved a week because it was a s**t act. I’m arguing that the system is absolutely ridiculous.

Have fun with that slippery slope AFL.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you can get bumped, get up, play out the game perfectly fine and then 2.5 hours later get a concussion test, passing the test, and it is instantly deemed as a medium impact bump? C’mon.

I’m not arguing that Williams shouldn’t go, I initially said he deserved a week because it was a sh*t act. I’m arguing that the system is absolutely ridiculous.

Have fun with that slippery slope AFL.

What part of the system is ridiculous considering its being followed and resulted in the correct outcome...?

No it's not instantly graded as medium impact, but when you're running full pace, then jump and fly into a blokes head, and he gets knocked to the ground and struggles to stand up after, medium is pretty fair... Your argument is utter garbage.

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
When Pickett bumped Heeney, Heeney stayed on the ground for a few seconds but got up and played out the game - exactly what was seen with Clark. Yet Pickett was given a fine (for low impact) and Williams a one week suspension (medium impact)...

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
It wont be, you are reading too much into the rules and not the fact that the afl make it up as they go.

The one match ban was prob fair as Williams left himself no outs, he wasn't making a play on the ball or trying to sheppard. A late bump like that is illegal and a free kick whether its high or not. So getting him in the head really should be a week min.

I agree that an incident like this should be worthy of a 1 week ban. But the AFL then need to change their guidelines to match this and not argue that because of a postgame concussion test it is medium impact and worthy of a week. It should be worthy of a week because of the act itself or not at all. And yes don't worry I know the next time we see a similar bump we will have no consistency with the decision and the player will probably get off

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
When Pickett bumped Heeney, Heeney stayed on the ground for a few seconds but got up and played out the game - exactly what was seen with Clark. Yet Pickett was given a fine (for low impact) and Williams a one week suspension (medium impact)...

Well post the Heeney clip here and we can show u why ur wrong

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
Well post the Heeney clip here and we can show u why ur wrong
What part of what I said was wrong? Are you going to argue that Heeney didn't get bumped or that Pickett wasn't fined and given a low impact charge, because a quick google search will show they are factual statements

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Can you show more of the Pickett-Heeney incident than a still shot?

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks

By the way I didn't show any still shot - think that was someone else.
Note: The audio is the statement Michael Christian made after the Pickett sanction was handed down being read out

Back