Toast Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't get over his look. Took a little bit of getting used to initially - reminded me of the 1970-80s with the moustache and the hair cut. But can see a bit of a cult figure emerging!
Very similar vein to Geoff Ablett.

Yes, the salary cap.
There is no football reason to trade him for pick 66 or whatever...
Yes the salary cap, but they had 45 others to choose from. They kept Mason Cox on 500k
Daicos coming through so they thought Phillips was covered. Seems an odd choice

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arizona DiamondBacks
A Collingwood supporter friend told me to wait until he keeps coughing it up going inside 50 and don’t get to excited about he did on the weekend.

A Collingwood supporter friend told me to wait until he keeps coughing it up going inside 50 and don’t get to excited about he did on the weekend.

4D61E375-9881-48B0-8424-9EECAD1317D1.jpeg

Last edited:

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Really pleased we got Tom across to the team.

He gives us a reliable 25+ possession a game player and apart from Tom Mitchell we have really struggled with our midfield having that level of consistency over the last 3 to 4 years (Hendo was pretty good at it as well)

And in regards to his disposal one of my favourite Hawk player ever Brad Sewell wasn't the greatest kick but man he cracked in every single week and that's all I ever ask.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't understand the knock on his kicking.

Is it really a problem, or is it Collingwood supporters trying to explain the trade away?

His kicking on the weekend was good
I honestly haven't watched enough of him to say one way or the other.

Even if he is just an average to good kick though his overall package of being an elite runner, high possession winner who can also compete in the packs is so valuable to our team at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting to feel like another Ricky Henderson super value pick up. Keep pinching myself wondering how we managed to get him for pick 65.

The only player who I never saw shank a kick was Darren Jarman.

That man was a freak though when it came to kicking.
oh I have seen him shank it kicking for goal hahah no one is infallible but I get what you're saying

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Phillips isn't a particularly good kick, I'd say he's probably average or just above average in general. I think the way he plays (the gut running) probably plays a part in some of the poorer kicks though.

Hopefully with guys like Day, Sicily, Scrimshaw, Wingard, Downie, Breust, Gunston, Burgoyne, Greaves, Brockman and TOB we have enough very good to elite kicks of the ball.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back