News McPherson and Worrell re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he appears as loyal as they come, but of course he will want to maximize earnings on possibly one of his last contracts at this level.
I'm sure his manager would be advising him similar. Unless you're Grundy, Buddy or Martin and getting a 7,8,9 year deal I doubt many managers would be pushing their client to sign a 3-5 year deal that goes past when they qualify for FA.

Disappointing. If he's after 2 years and then another 5 years, I'd happily give him the 7 years right off the bat today
At what money though? Give him 2 @ 500. Then the next contract he could be on 800 plus if he’s our captain and AA worthy like he very well could be. But no ones paying him that yet.

At what money though? Give him 2 @ 500. Then the next contract he could be on 800 plus if he’s our captain and AA worthy like he very well could be. But no ones paying him that yet.
I think it is up to the club to show him that over the next 2 years there is something to be excited about and there is a real team building with success a real chance. Early pain will happen but we need to sell to him a vision of what might be if he signs on and rejects possible free agency (and yes that will still be for good coin)

Love this news

McPherson was always going to sign however im stoked to get Worrell signature done

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
And to think there was a time not too long ago where we thought mcpherson may never play a game for us due to his long standing injury. Looks to have been a very astute pick now we can see what he can do

I'd give him 7 at $650k with a few incentives along the way.

He's likely our next captain and obviously a good player, but he's also still in a less important role. He's not a midfielder or key position player, so I'd pay him accordingly

McAsey is probably thinking that if he re-signs right now for a further two years that the club will immediately feel confident that he is locked in and will send him back to the SANFL for this year to find form and build confidence playing against fully grown men.. which is exactly what he needs..

The club is probably thinking that if they do send him back to play in the SANFL for the year that McAsey, and his parents, may take it as an insult and that the club doesnt rate him.. and it may result in him asking for a trade to a vic club willing to give him more opportunity to play AFL..

Its a bit of a sticky situation for both parties to be in at the moment.
The Murray bloke who signed yesterday is one year older and much more composed as a player. McAsey was a stuff up , trade for third round pick and move on . Teaches you to never pick lumbery key defensive types in first rounds of drafts .
And remove Haggis as our recruiting guru as had too many flops in the 16,17,18 and 19 drafts, especially first rounders.

I'd give him 7 at $650k with a few incentives along the way.

He's likely our next captain and obviously a good player, but he's also still in a less important role. He's not a midfielder or key position player, so I'd pay him accordingly
Wow absolutely not

High risk with the knee and other injuries

For a 187cm intercepting third tall who depends on his athleticism to be elite

Good signings. McPherson was a highlight last year. Comfortably fits into the backline at AFL level as a Luke Brown type player with a bit more height.

Look forward to seeing what Worrell can do this year, presumably at SANFL level. 2 more years at least gives us a chance to see what he might be able to do at AFL level. Good size, good athleticism, will be interesting to see what position he ends up.

Disappointing. If he's after 2 years and then another 5 years, I'd happily give him the 7 years right off the bat today
I think he wants to make sure the body is right before he goes and does that.

Lord knows we've done well with 5 year deals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably should trade him now then. 😬
On the face of it he is playing his hand well. Likely future club captain and he has spoken about how he does not see himself leaving. So he knows signing for 2 years brings him to the right point in his career where free agency will allow him to maximise his next contract which is still likely to be with us by playing our offer off against what other clubs will come at him for. If i was in his shoes i'd do the same.

If we're handing out 5 year deals to guys like Laird and (previously) Jenkins then a guy like Doedee deserves a 10 year contract
That's a bit harsh comparing Laird to Jenkins. One of those guys is a B&F winner and 2x All Australian. The other... isn't :p

Perennially injured. Tread with care I’d say.

If he's our captain and playing 22 games a season I'd have no trouble giving him $650k per year, which is what I meant with my previous post.

Incentives (eg staying on the park) would get him to that level, and reduce his salary accordingly if he doesn't reach that level or perform

And to think there was a time not too long ago where we thought mcpherson may never play a game for us due to his long standing injury. Looks to have been a very astute pick now we can see what he can do
Can't really blame people for writing him off give he was barely sighted in his first couple of seasons. The club always rated him though. He was given a 2 year extension very early into his first contract. Now that he seems to be injury free the club is finally getting some reward for their investment.

That's a bit harsh comparing Laird to Jenkins. One of those guys is a B&F winner and 2x All Australian. The other... isn't :p

On Laird, it's more about contracting a guy to 32 who has only spent half a season in his new role. If we're contracting risky players well into their 30s I'd much rather we do that with a younger player

If we're handing out 5 year deals to guys like Laird and (previously) Jenkins then a guy like Doedee deserves a 10 year contract
Ummmm no.

You're a measured poster but this is near on the silliest thing you've ever said. He can't get on the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back