Analysis 2022 Statistics + supercoach discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH half the Champion Data stats are awful. The way they measure certain things is diabolical, at least in terms of some of the dumbed down stats the punter get as opposed to the full suite of data available to clubs. Generally the simpler to measure the stat is the more reliable it is, but even something like Disposal Efficiency is a bit *y.

TBH half the Champion Data stats are awful.

.....but even something like Disposal Efficiency is a bit fu**y.

A bit?!

Deadset wrong. Some of the worst skilled players have high DE% as just kick long to a contest which is "effective".

Eyes a much better test than CD in many ways imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which NM players are fantasy relevant this year? Personally, I've so far got Hall, Chom & TT in my draft SC squad.

Tossing up between Hall's upside and Lloyd's consistency, but Hall feels like a player who could really get away from you in the first month if you don't have him.

Chom because I think he'll play when available so should be an acceptable cash cow and useful for the R/F cover and loophole link.

TT is obvious. Will brain it this year. M/F DPP makes it an easy decision.

Others that could be worth considering are WiPhi (I reckon he'll come on this year and outscore his starting price, but that price is a bit awkward for a cash cow and he's not going to rack up mid keeper points), LDU (breakout is on the cards, one for the watchlist to upgrade to), Jy (could genuinely be a top 10 mid but is probably more an AF/DT than SC option), Perez (handy cash cow if he gets on the park), LMac (keep an eye on his role, has some runs of good scoring in the past), Polec (price has been driven down by the last couple of seasons, but even if he gets back to his old self is probably more stepping-stone than keeper in the mids)

Which NM players are fantasy relevant this year? Personally, I've so far got Hall, Chom & TT in my draft SC squad.

Tossing up between Hall's upside and Lloyd's consistency, but Hall feels like a player who could really get away from you in the first month if you don't have him.

Chom because I think he'll play when available so should be an acceptable cash cow and useful for the R/F cover and loophole link.

TT is obvious. Will brain it this year. M/F DPP makes it an easy decision.

Others that could be worth considering are WiPhi (I reckon he'll come on this year and outscore his starting price, but that price is a bit awkward for a cash cow and he's not going to rack up mid keeper points), LDU (breakout is on the cards, one for the watchlist to upgrade to), Jy (could genuinely be a top 10 mid but is probably more an AF/DT than SC option), Perez (handy cash cow if he gets on the park), LMac (keep an eye on his role, has some runs of good scoring in the past), Polec (price has been driven down by the last couple of seasons, but even if he gets back to his old self is probably more stepping-stone than keeper in the mids)

I did this about a month ago on the rookies.
I try to do an early post on the North rookies available each year.
IMO we wont have as many playing this year if we dont have another injury plague.
Defence (most available spots for rookie of any line.)
View attachment 1297790
Hayden - A massive unit fully developed AFL body. Wont score enough to be relevant.
Perez - Currently finishing up his rehab for a knee he did 2021 pre season. Back in full training after xmas. 50% chance for round 1.
McGuiness - 197cm skinny key back, great kick. Cover for Mckay, Corr and Walker. Might get games with injuries. 0% chance for round 1.
Palker - Played really well in the VFL late last year but couldn't force his way into the team. great kick hbf/wing 10% chance for round 1.
Archer - Training the house down. mid sized defender. 0% chance for round 1.
Bergman - 65kg 188cm. HBF/wing/HF great kick way to skinny for round 1 0% chance.

View attachment 1297796
Horne. 100% chance for round 1. Plenty has been said already.
Lazzaro - Had no holidays trained flat out right through. Noticeably bigger. Wing most likely so wont be relevant IMO. 30% chance round 1.
Goater - Lightening quick. Earmarked to play defence. Good intercept mark. 30% chance of playing round 1.
View attachment 1297798

Comben - Crazy competitive. Tall forward. Great VFL form late last year. I don't see how he fits in the team 10% chance to play round 1.
Edwards - To skinny for round 1 imo r/f 0% chance for round 1
View attachment 1297801
Xerri - If Goldy gets injured he may be an option but he just wont make the team otherwise. 0% chance
Ford - Great young player but priced out of relevancy. 40% chance
Phoenix Spicer - Came in last year as a midget. Got a game late in the year. Has put on size. Wing/HF 0% chance.
Curtis - Medium forward who kicks goals, great pressure. There may be a spot in the team for his type round 1. 30% chance.

Anyways hope this helps peeps.
As for the premos.
Hall and JZ will average similar. I would expect JZ to drop off with age. Hall I expect to improve on last year.
Tarryn is a lock, there are not many better forward premos you would expect to play 20 games.
Jy needs to clean up his disposal a little bit to be SC relevant.
LDU needs more consistency. Hopefully he improves this year.

Last edited:
I did this about a month ago on the rookies.

As for the premos.
Hall and JZ will average similar. I would expect JZ to drop off with age. Hall I expect to improve on last year.
Tarryn is a lock, there are not many better forward premos you would expect to play 20 games.
Jy needs to clean up his disposal a little bit to be SC relevant.
LDU needs more consistency. Hopefully he improves this year.
Yeah that's a pretty good summary. I haven't seriously considered JHF at his starting price - I expect he'll see a lot less volume of touches than Daicos and be more of an impact player, which likely won't result in enough cash gain. I'd be on Goater if he gets games. Hopefully (from a selfish SC POV) he'll come on later when we need downgrade options.

I think JZ scores 15-20 points less per game than Hall. Came back to earth a bit last year as the game plan settled and another rebound option came in alongside him last year.

Agreed re Jy. Too many silly frees against and inconsistent disposal hold him back a bit in SC. Wouldn't want him to change how he plays in the real thing tho.

Yeah that's a pretty good summary. I haven't seriously considered JHF at his starting price - I expect he'll see a lot less volume of touches than Daicos and be more of an impact player, which likely won't result in enough cash gain. I'd be on Goater if he gets games. Hopefully (from a selfish SC POV) he'll come on later when we need downgrade options.

I think JZ scores 15-20 points less per game than Hall. Came back to earth a bit last year as the game plan settled and another rebound option came in alongside him last year.

Agreed re Jy. Too many silly frees against and inconsistent disposal hold him back a bit in SC. Wouldn't want him to change how he plays in the real thing tho.
I think if Corr is playing he will eat into JZ's intercept points.
Im taking JHF mainly for job security. Daicos is pretty much the only other rookie with similar JS.
Goater is the interesting one. At 117k he has plenty of scope for cash gains.

Goater vs Perez?
or do we play both?

Perez was flying last Friday, but a bit quieter in the full ground stuff today, he did get nailed at the very start by CCJ, was also stretching his hammy at one stage ~ it was a long session.

I think both of them will play in the same side at some point this year.

My gut feel is just Goater, he looks like a top pick to me in the same mould as Phillips, Powell, Simpkin, LDU and JHF. He's in that class for sure. I can't see really many weakness' in his game as stupid as that sounds from half a dozen training sessions. Endurance is probably the only thing that might prevent him from being a lock.

His kicking is in no way a weakness. His composure doesn't look an issue at half back (it is training and nothing close to a game) but it really wont be a major factor if in that half back role, a major portion of his stats are going to be received in space where he can stretch out rather than in congested traffic.

Generally these mercurial super athletic types struggle to find the ball, which is the exact opposite of him.

He looked in his Cannon's vision like he accumulates the ball with ease and he did the exact same thing today. He had 10-12 touches in what was 30 mins of kick around football without even trying really.

His ceiling with his athletic ability is just nuts and I think Noble and co would clearly see how comfortable he already looks with AFL players and he will want to pump games into him ASAP.

Atley's leg speed was going to be a major loss until this guy fell into our lap, who's arguably quicker than Atley, but is the complete opposite to At's agility wise, who only really ran in straight lines. Goaters biggest strength is his agility.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Goater finished above JHF in the rising star. JHF will be playing the hardest role in football, whereas Goater will be playing arguably the easiest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back