Rate the TV commentators and pundits

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
The Matildas also lost 4-1 to the Colorado Rapids U15's boys. We are not talking elite level boys - they are 14 year olds from club sides in relatively low standard leagues. It's true that it's hard to judge how seriously these games were played but there are reasons why national women's teams are playing practise games against U15 boys club teams - they are similar standard of skills and physicality.

Lower playing ability is not evidence of inferior knowledge of the game. Peter Drury and Martin Tyler have not played the game to a high standard but are very knowledgeable. But you would not have them commentate together. The accepted format is a professional commentator supplemented by expert comments by a former player from the league/club we are watching.
You do realise co-commentators are relatively new right?

It wasn't until about 2-3 seasons ago that every match had two commentators.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
You do realise co-commentators are relatively new right?

It wasn't until about 2-3 seasons ago that every match had two commentators.

I remember Robbie Earle co-commentating on ESPN live games many years ago. Andy Gray was a regular co-commentator and studio pundit. I think Alan Smith and Martin Tyler date back over 10 years.

Even if there was a only one TV journo type commentating the game, the experts in the studio were all former Premier League players.

I remember Robbie Earle co-commentating on ESPN live games many years ago. Andy Gray was a regular co-commentator and studio pundit. I think Alan Smith and Martin Tyler date back over 10 years.

Even if there was a only one TV journo type commentating the game, the experts in the studio were all former Premier League players.

What's this obsession with former PL players?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
With respect you're talking rubbish.

How so?

Have you watched Ashes cricket the last few years? You get Mark Nicholas as the smooth presenter then pretty much all the other commentators are former Ashes captains.

F1 is the same. David Croft is the lead commentator. Then you get former drivers like Martin Brundle, Damon Hill, Jenson Button, Nico Rosberg, Karun Chandhok, Johnny Herbert etc giving expert comments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seem to have an obsession with penises.

The criteria is whether the expert has played at the level they are commenting on.

Only because you think that in order to commentate on the PL people need to have played in the male equivalent of the competition.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
How so?

Have you watched Ashes cricket the last few years? You get Mark Nicholas as the smooth presenter then pretty much all the other commentators are former Ashes captains.

F1 is the same. David Croft is the lead commentator. Then you get former drivers like Martin Brundle, Damon Hill, Jenson Button, Nico Rosberg, Karun Chandhok, Johnny Herbert etc giving expert comments.
I bet you love Brett Kirk's analysis too. And BT.

There is no male equivalent of the Premier League. It's the Premier League.

'The competition' being top level football in England. The PL is the male equivalent of the Super League. Karen Carney has played at the top level in the female equivalent of the PL.

This is really not that hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back