2021 NBA All Star Game (State Farm Arena, Atlanta, Georgia. 7th March)

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
The entire weekend should be canned. Over the top theatrics with entertainment', the players not giving a s**t about the game and other contests etc.

If the players want a midseason break then just give it to them, no need to use the all-star weekend as an excuse.

The only way the players will care if they change the format to World vs America. I think it's about time too, with the enormous global appeal of the NBA and also world team being stacked. American players will not want to lose against the world team as it'll s**t on their reputation. The world team will want to show the american team that their as good as them.

Basically I just want an excuse to see a Jokic, Embiid, Giannis, Doncic and Simmons starting 5 :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Apr 1, 2011
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC
The entire weekend should be canned. Over the top theatrics with entertainment', the players not giving a sh*t about the game and other contests etc.

If the players want a midseason break then just give it to them, no need to use the all-star weekend as an excuse.

The only way the players will care if they change the format to World vs America. I think it's about time too, with the enormous global appeal of the NBA and also world team being stacked. American players will not want to lose against the world team as it'll sh*t on their reputation. The world team will want to show the american team that their as good as them.

Basically I just want an excuse to see a Jokic, Embiid, Giannis, Doncic and Simmons starting 5 :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:
Would definitely make it more interesting. Real lack of guard-depth on the ROW team though!

The entire weekend should be canned. Over the top theatrics with entertainment', the players not giving a sh*t about the game and other contests etc.

The only way the players will care if they change the format to World vs America. I think it's about time too, with the enormous global appeal of the NBA and also world team being stacked. American players will not want to lose against the world team as it'll sh*t on their reputation. The world team will want to show the american team that their as good as them.

In the good old days there's an argument that the country/world didnt see players that often. So if you're in chicago, you see Chi games and others that are nationally televised. A for example, Bucks vs Mavs wasnt shown in Chitown. I think.

Nowadays you see players everyday. No great rush to enjoy their spectacle.

I found yesterdays even so s**t. So much inane chatter and promotion of other stuff.

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
In the good old days there's an argument that the country/world didnt see players that often. So if you're in chicago, you see Chi games and others that are nationally televised. A for example, Bucks vs Mavs wasnt shown in Chitown. I think.

I found yesterdays even so sh*t. So much inane chatter and promotion of other stuff.

100%! money or charity donations aren't going to improve their effort levels too much but playing on their ego, then you have something else. You see clips in preseason pickup games where reputation only matters and the stars actually put in effort.

Apr 1, 2011
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC
Yep but I reckon there's enough depth and also should be some tenacity in the games means skill level differences matter less.
Assuming no injuries, it's a real bigs vs smalls game:

Simmons
Doncic
Antetokounmpo
Jokic
Embid

Gilgeous-Alexander
Gobert
Sabonis
Siakam
Vucevic

Curry
Harden
James
Durant
Davis

Leonard
Lillard
Irving
Beal
Tatum

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Assuming no injuries, it's a real bigs vs smalls game:

Simmons
Doncic
Antetokounmpo
Jokic
Embid

Gilgeous-Alexander
Gobert
Sabonis
Siakam
Vucevic

Curry
Harden
James
Durant
Davis

Leonard
Lillard
Irving
Beal
Tatum

I think you've pretty much nailed it mate!

That would be the ultimate 3s v 2s contest. Watching the contrasting game styles would be soo much fun. Where's Adam Silver??? get on this ASAP! haha

I found yesterdays even so sh*t. So much inane chatter and promotion of other stuff.
When are the basketball board All Stars announced?

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
100%! money or charity donations aren't going to improve their effort levels too much but playing on their ego, then you have something else. You see clips in preseason pickup games where reputation only matters and the stars actually put in effort.
They didn’t want to play, already in a compressed schedule. Loads of talk around COVID vaccine and potential risks. Last years game showed a fair bit, this year looked like the players have had a gut full and basically playing a street ball showcase. Dunk comp was a no name flop. Liked the 3 point shoot out. Skills challenge was...ummmm...distinctly lacking skills.

They didn’t want to play, already in a compressed schedule. Loads of talk around COVID vaccine and potential risks. Last years game showed a fair bit, this year looked like the players have had a gut full and basically playing a street ball showcase. Dunk comp was a no name flop. Liked the 3 point shoot out. Skills challenge was...ummmm...distinctly lacking skills.
Last year would have been no different to this and any other year other than the emotional tribute to Kobe.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
There were a few players I would have thought more deserving. Ingram, Wall, DeRozen, Fox, SGA, Morant...

There's no chance the underachieving Pelicans were getting two All Stars. Wall and Fox have both been in the "Someone on a bad team needs to score" position. Neither has been better than Conley.

The only two with a real case I think were SGA and DeRozen. But SGA is on a bad team, and DeRozen is already a 4 time all star who you could argue doesn't even make a team better. Utah being awesome is the tie-breaker.

Nothing wrong with the decision they made.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
There's no chance the underachieving Pelicans were getting two All Stars. Wall and Fox have both been in the "Someone on a bad team needs to score" position. Neither has been better than Conley.

The only two with a real case I think were SGA and DeRozen. But SGA is on a bad team, and DeRozen is already a 4 time all star who you could argue doesn't even make a team better. Utah being awesome is the tie-breaker.

Nothing wrong with the decision they made.
I dont hate it. I like Conley I just think it was more of a career achievement award rather than earned. You make could points on Ingram, Wall and Fox. SGA has been great for OKC who are trying to make the playoffs and the Spurs are 6th in the West and 4 games above .500. DeRozen is their best player and is averaging 20ppg, 5rpg and 7.2apg. He's been pretty good.

But all good, I like Conley so good for him.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I dont hate it. I like Conley I just think it was more of a career achievement award rather than earned. You make could points on Ingram, Wall and Fox. SGA has been great for OKC who are trying to make the playoffs and the Spurs are 6th in the West and 4 games above .500. DeRozen is their best player and is averaging 20ppg, 5rpg and 7.2apg. He's been pretty good.

But all good, I like Conley so good for him.

Fun Fact - DeRozen has had 1 season (of his 12) where his team was better with him on the floor compared to when he's off.

This season the Spurs are -1.7pp 100 possessions when he's on the floor, and +3.3 when he's off.

Back