Fitzroy
B: Connor Budarick , Sam Collins, Jack Lukosius
HB: Oleg Markov, Charlie Ballard, Wil Powell
C: Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Rory Atkins
HF: Izak Rankine, Sam Day, Josh Corbett
F: Alex Sexton, Ben King, Ben Ainsworth
R: Jarrod Witts, Touk Miller, Matt Rowell

I/C: Lachie Weller, David Swallow, Noah Anderson, Jack Bowes

Bench guys just there as they will split time between a couple positions.

I have the same 22. Not exactly the same positions, but the differences are insignificant

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gorringe Can Suck One

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
B: Connor Budarick , Sam Collins, Jack Lukosius
HB: Oleg Markov, Charlie Ballard, Wil Powell
C: Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Rory Atkins
HF: Izak Rankine, Sam Day, Josh Corbett
F: Alex Sexton, Ben King, Ben Ainsworth
R: Jarrod Witts, Touk Miller, Matt Rowell

I/C: Lachie Weller, David Swallow, Noah Anderson, Jack Bowes

Bench guys just there as they will split time between a couple positions.
Could see Hollands fitting in pretty well if Sextons not firing by May/June

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
I think realistic aim would be (in a 22 game season)

King 38 goals
Sexton 32 goals
Rankine 25 goals
Day, Ainsworth, Corbett 15-25 goals

Sexton will kick 40 and we will make our maiden finals appearance. Bookmark this post.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
My First crack of the starting 22 v West Coast;

B: J. Bowes, C. Graham, C. Ballard
HB: O. Markov, S. Collins, J. Lukosius
C: B. Ellis, H. Greenwood, R. Atkins
HF: B. Ainsworth, S. Day, I. Rankine
FF: D. Swallow, B. King, A. Sexton
R: J. Witts, M. Rowell, T. Miller

I: C. Budarick, L. Weller, N. Anderson, W. Powell

EMG: D. Macpherson, B. Fiorini, J. Corbett, J. Sharp

I've added in Graham over Corbett because it loosens up our intercepting kings but can go either way as we need Corbett's running power.
Markov was stuck behind Short & Houli two of the premier half backmen in the league so i'm confident he can play a big part.
Everywhere else is pretty solid, big chance of winning especially if it's not perfect conditions.

MY Players to watch in preseason not included above; Brodie, Flanders,Townsend, Mclennan, Farrar, Jeffery

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I've added in Graham over Corbett because it loosens up our intercepting kings but can go either way as we need Corbett's running power.
Markov was stuck behind Short & Houli two of the premier half backmen in the league so i'm confident he can play a big part.
Everywhere else is pretty solid, big chance of winning especially if it's not perfect conditions.

MY Players to watch in preseason not included above; Brodie, Flanders,Townsend, Mclennan, Farrar, Jeffery
I like Markov as a player, but I don't think he gets first crack in the team.

I'd rather start either Budarick or Powell, and have any of Macpherson, Fiorini or Brodie on the bench.

I also think people have strangely low expectations of Sexton. Let's not forget he tore his hamstring pretty badly in the Preseason games last year and was expected to miss half the season. The only reason he was seen for most of the year was that COVID meant round 2 got pushed further back, but it also meant he had little to no preseason in the end. I expect him to come back in 2019 form.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Too much talent there to not be contending for a finals spot. It's put up time for the Suns.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Hey guys, fantasy question here.

Just wondering if the Suns have any draftees from either 2020, or the last couple years who are doing well in the intra-club games/scratch match from this week. Would you expect them to be best 22?

Thanks in advance.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hey guys, fantasy question here.

Just wondering if the Suns have any draftees from either 2020, or the last couple years who are doing well in the intra-club games/scratch match from this week. Would you expect them to be best 22?

Thanks in advance.
Last 2 years - Budarick.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The pre-season is almost over. As fans I think we put too much emphasis on practice/pre-season games. Coaches try different things, players play different positions, some players simply prepare for round 1.

This is what I think will be the best 22 round 1 selected by selection committee.

Harbrow Collins Powell
Bowes Ballard Markov
Lukosius Greenwood Ellis
Ainsworth, Day Swallow
Rankine King Sexton
Witts Rowell Miller

Budarick Weller Anderson Brodie

It could be that they select Macpherson over Brodie.

Personally, there are a couple of spots I would probably went differently in my 22. Harbrow looks a bit better than last year but he struggles on small forwards like Cameron, Ryan. Lemmens would be my replacement.

Not sure we can play Greenwood, Swallow and Brodie on the same team. Yes, they will rotate through forward line but it seems too much of the same for me. Swallow will not be dropped but I would replace him rather than Brodie with Flanders/Macpherson/Holman.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Well another pre-season is over and we are ready once again for the round 1 squad.

Though I am going to pick who I THINK should feature round 1 and not necessarily who I think Dew will pick (I am looking at you Harbs).

C.Budarick - S.Collins - W.Powell
J.Lukosius - C.Ballard - O.Markov
B.Ellis - M.Rowell - L.Weller
I.Rankine - S.Day - D.Swallow
A.Sexton - B.King - B.Ainsworth

J.Witts - H.Greenwood - T.Miller

W.Brodie - N.Anderson - J.Bowes - S.Lemmens
Again for me I can pick 21 players quite easily, just that No.22 is hard. I think Dew would pick Harbrow over Lemmens in my squad but other than that I think this is pretty close. Other players who could easily feature in that No.22 position are N.Holman, B.Fiorini, D.MacPherson, J.Corbett. I actually thought Burgess was pretty impressive as a mobile ruck last night and could offer something, probably couldn't do it all game, but would be handy around the ground and could slot in down back if needed.

Atkins also will probably get a look in at some point when he is back from injury. Good competition for spots when everyone is fit and healthy.

Last edited:

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Those teams are looking great, can't wait for Round 1

Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
Hey guys,

Great team you guys are building up there.
I really hope Dew plays the youth this year as I think he needs to do everything possible to play guys that will be the core of your first premiership team.
Powell, Markov, Luko and Buderick should be your defensive half running types that can take you to a flag.

Do you guys think Weller will be part of that next tilt or should Anderson get the nod ahead of him?
And is Swallow going to be part of that team too?

Your list is getting good enough that it might be difficult to fit so much quality under the cap in coming years so is it worth looking at guys like Swallow for trade bait?

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Hey guys,

Great team you guys are building up there.
I really hope Dew plays the youth this year as I think he needs to do everything possible to play guys that will be the core of your first premiership team.
Powell, Markov, Luko and Buderick should be your defensive half running types that can take you to a flag.

Do you guys think Weller will be part of that next tilt or should Anderson get the nod ahead of him?
And is Swallow going to be part of that team too?

Your list is getting good enough that it might be difficult to fit so much quality under the cap in coming years so is it worth looking at guys like Swallow for trade bait?
The only way I see them trading swallow is if he requests It and tried to find some success, you could hardly blame him

I can’t see it happening though as in my opinion he shouldn’t even be in the side now so I can’t see any other clubs coming after him as a top up player for a premiership tilt

I fully expect the suns to let him just play out his long contract

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
The only way I see them trading swallow is if he requests It and tried to find some success, you could hardly blame him

I can’t see it happening though as in my opinion he shouldn’t even be in the side now so I can’t see any other clubs coming after him as a top up player for a premiership tilt

I fully expect the suns to let him just play out his long contract

The contract is probably an albatros around our neck now but when he re-signed the club was on its knees and he stuck fat when he could have bailed for easy success **cough** Lynch ** cough**.

I guess this is the price you pay when you are rebuilding a club and retaining good people at a dark time.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The Suns are way better off having Swallow anywhere within the Club....doesn't matter if it's on field or off.......he IS the Gold Coast Suns, and I would probably add Harbrow to that statement. And Lynch shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence, "coughing" or not....;)

Not sure of their worth on field in the one's, but they are an absolute necessity within the Club....for various reasons.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
The Suns are way better off having Swallow anywhere within the Club....doesn't matter if it's on field or off.......he IS the Gold Coast Suns, and I would probably add Harbrow to that statement. And Lynch shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence, "coughing" or not....;)

Not sure of their worth on field in the one's, but they are an absolute necessity within the Club....for various reasons.

I don't put Harbrow in the same boat as Swallow - I imagine he's filled his boots with cash from the get go when he came here and throughout his career.

He's done some great work off the field, and should somehow be retained in that sort of role. Harbrow continuing to play this year is a step backwards for the club. A strong club makes strong decisions.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't put Harbrow in the same boat as Swallow - I imagine he's filled his boots with cash from the get go when he came here and throughout his career.

He's done some great work off the field, and should somehow be retained in that sort of role. Harbrow continuing to play this year is a step backwards for the club. A strong club makes strong decisions.

Exactly how I see it......

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
My team would look like this

Budarick - Collins - Lemmens
Powell - Ballard - Markov
Ellis - Rowell - Weller
Rankine - Day - Swallow
Sexton - King - Ainsworth
Witts - Greenwood - Miller

Brodie - Anderson - Bowes - Lukoisus

MacPherson as injury sub

I feel like by the end of the season Greenwood could lose his spot in the 22. Brodie could easily take his spot as the inside mid which allows to maybe bring more outside speed in

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My team would look like this

Budarick - Collins - Lemmens
Powell - Ballard - Markov
Ellis - Rowell - Weller
Rankine - Day - Swallow
Sexton - King - Ainsworth
Witts - Greenwood - Miller

Brodie - Anderson - Bowes - Lukoisus

MacPherson as injury sub

I feel like by the end of the season Greenwood could lose his spot in the 22. Brodie could easily take his spot as the inside mid which allows to maybe bring more outside speed in
Greenwood on a 3 year contract with trigger for 4th if I remember.
I think it would be smart to phase him out next year so he doesn't trigger that final year..

T__Y

Debutant
Nov 11, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Greenwood on a 3 year contract with trigger for 4th if I remember.
I think it would be smart to phase him out next year so he doesn't trigger that final year..
The guy was a beast last year, not sure it's time to reduce the age of our young midfield now or in the near future. If he plays well this year and doesn't look like slowing down, give him that extra year.

Back