Random things you miss about going to the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

I miss having the wife hold me back when an eagles supporter gets in my face at (used to be Subi) now optus, its usually geriatrics for some reason, maybe they think i won't belt them? Thank god for the wife or i'd be in lockup

but seriously i miss the roar, the tingle down your spine when 60k+ scream at the same time is something that cant be matched. I've been to some massive gigs and festivals that im sure had lowder crowds but nothing can give me that shiver like a footy crowd does

First and foremost, footy is about friendship. I see a lot of Richmond and Collingwood games live because that's who my friends barrack for, and when it's footy season, most of my nights will start or end with a match.

When it's Melbourne Demons, I go with my dad. It's the only time we share a drink together. He drinks wine, I don't know why. I knock back beers.
He barracks for Saint Kildas. Watching Melbourne beat Saint Kildas live is still the best feeling in the world, especially when I'm with my dad. I miss seeing the disappointment on his face as whoever passes for a forward at Saint Kildas misses another sitter. It's just not the same saying "Petracca wouldn't have missed that!" without the hobos and junkies that make up Saint Kildas fanbase around.

I miss quality sledges.

I miss yelling "ball!" when there is a stoppage. If it's a polite crowd, it'll take at least a quarter before someone arks up about "idiots who don't know anything about the rules". If it's a rowdy crowd, it might be minutes before someone accosts me- but that's part of the fun. Once that happens, I'll start yelling "ball!" before there's stoppage.

I basically just miss going to the footy and being a campaigner.

Last edited:
First and foremost, footy is about friendship. I see a lot of Richmond and Collingwood games live because that's who my friends barrack for, and when it's footy season, most of my nights will start or end with a match.

When it's Melbourne Demons, I go with my dad. It's the only time we share a drink together. He drinks wine, I don't know why. I knock back beers.
He barracks for Saint Kildas. Watching Melbourne beat Saint Kildas live is still the best feeling in the world, especially when I'm with my dad. I miss seeing the disappointment on his face as however passes for a forward at Saint Kildas misses another sitter. It's just not the same saying "Petracca wouldn't have missed that!" without the hobos and junkies that make up Saint Kildas fanbase around.

I miss quality sledges.

I miss yelling "ball!" when there is a stoppage. If it's a polite crowd, it'll take at least a quarter before someone arks up about "idiots who don't know anything about the rules". If it's a rowdy crowd, it might be minutes before someone accosts me- but that's part of the fun. Once that happens, I'll start yelling "ball!" before there's stoppage.

I do love the way the crowd rolls from yelling 'BALL! YESSSS' When a free is given.

He barracks for Saint Kildas. Watching Melbourne beat Saint Kildas live is still the best feeling in the world, especially when I'm with my dad. I miss seeing the disappointment on his face as however passes for a forward at Saint Kildas misses another sitter. It's just not the same saying "Petracca wouldn't have missed that!" without the hobos and junkies that make up Saint Kildas fanbase around.

I miss quality sledges.

I’m a big fan of yelling Balllllll! At absolutely every stoppage. Particularly if it is on the far side of the ground and there is literally no way you can see whether it is holding the ball or, in some cases, which team even has the ball. Good clean fun!

I miss a mid winters game, freezing cold, wind swirling, light drizzle, part of my meat pie has dropped onto my pants, thinking why do I keep coming back to watch this sh1te. Just not the same in the comfort of my lounge room.

The first game i attended was 65 or 66 ,can't remember . Smith had gone ,Barassi was at Carlton , the bulk of the 64 team had retired , the MCG was like a grave yard , it was just depressing. You have no idea how glum it was . We played Richmond , i think we lost , hilarious as they were s**t until 67 when they got good. It wasn't until 1987 we looked like a good team again , i went to the Sydney Final , 87,000 and maybe 2000 for the Swans . It cost me my job but who cares , you all got a taste in 2018 .
We were a big club , but we represent a city , unlike the other Melb clubs that have a suburb to leach off. I know plenty of Demon supporters that are working class people , but we are getting old .
The thing i think i am trying to say is we need success, at the least appearing in finals , a flag would help too. We have had nothing to build a base on.
The thing i most miss is MFC being a flag possibility .

I miss a mid winters game, freezing cold, wind swirling, light drizzle, part of my meat pie has dropped onto my pants, thinking why do I keep coming back to watch this sh1te. Just not the same in the comfort of my lounge room.
I remember going to the footy a few years ago was a night game, was actually perfect condition for footy but as a spectator it was freezing. I remember sitting there and thinking why am I here while it felt like ice was crystallising on my femur bones. From that point on I wear skins under my pants in the thick of winter particularly at night. We had a loss to Sydney as well which made it worse. Could have easily just watched it from home. Having said that I do miss going and now that I think about I haven't seen us win live since Hawthorn semi in 2018.

I actually miss the days of Rex Hunt commentating, I loved the ease which he could weave nicknames into the play whilst keeping his level of excitement. Something to be said for imagining how the play went down with the commentary as opposed to seeing it.
bingers how do you hate Rex Hunt, absolute legend

Topkent said:
bingers how do you hate Rex Hunt, absolute legend

My default position re commentators is to hate them.

There are very few exceptions. Cometti is one. I'm sure there are one or two more, but their names don't readily spring to mind.

I remember going to the footy a few years ago was a night game, was actually perfect condition for footy but as a spectator it was freezing. I remember sitting there and thinking why am I here while it felt like ice was crystallising on my femur bones. From that point on I wear skins under my pants in the thick of winter particularly at night. We had a loss to Sydney as well which made it worse. Could have easily just watched it from home. Having said that I do miss going and now that I think about I haven't seen us win live since Hawthorn semi in 2018.
My fiance is not into footy and also has the worst blood circulation ever, she will wear multiple thermals on a 20 degree day. That was the last time I convinced her to come to a game with me.

Last edited:
Getting hammered and yelling into the crowd.

I'm never sitting close enough to the boundary line for any players to hear so essentially your screaming to an audience of a few hundred randoms.

Doesn't have to be particularly witty or correct. The cynical cries of the old heads are the most warming, its like being on this forum at its best.

It's like how in certain cultures when someone experiences grief they all wail in unison as a part of the healing process. Much better than internalising all the anger, as PG said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm never sitting close enough to the boundary line for any players to hear so essentially your screaming to an audience of a few hundred randoms.

Doesn't have to be particularly witty or correct. The cynical cries of the old heads are the most warming, its like being on this forum at its best.

It's like how in certain cultures when someone experiences grief they all wail in unison as a part of the healing process. Much better than internalising all the anger, as PG said.
Theres an old clip from a Queens birthday match during the Neeld era where Cale Morton kicked an absolute shank that leads to an easy Collingwood goal. Tim Watson lets out the same frustrated groan that has been fused into my brain from years of sitting in the middle of the MCC.

Sometimes I get so outraged my mouth can't keep up with my mind and I just end up yelling giberish.

We're actually going well to be 28 points in the 3rd quarter. That was usually our total at the end of the game back in those days.

Sometimes I get so outraged my mouth can't keep up with my mind and I just end up yelling giberish.

We're actually going well to be 28 points in the 3rd quarter. That was usually our total at the end of the game back in those days.
We had made a mini comeback at that point Mitch Clark was playing an absolute blinder but after that kick it was over.

We had made a mini comeback at that point Mitch Clark was playing an absolute blinder but after that kick it was over.
Yeah that sounds vaguely familiar. I've mainly blocked memories from that period. We actually ended up on 87 which is pretty decent. The week before I definitely remember as we beat Essendon and was our first win for the season. Also remember sitting next to the whingiest supporter I have in my life. Absolutely sulking about everything that didn't go bombers way.

Theres an old clip from a Queens birthday match during the Neeld era where Cale Morton kicked an absolute shank that leads to an easy Collingwood goal. Tim Watson lets out the same frustrated groan that has been fused into my brain from years of sitting in the middle of the MCC.

Did one of these groans on Monday at Marvel.

Can't remember if it was when we had 3 players streaming through the middle of the ground and slipped over, or when one of our players missed a 15m switch kick into the centre of the ground.

It's great to be back at the footy

I miss the local footy, miss a snag in bread and a can of coke. Sitting in the boot smashing tins while yelling at some point 15 year old umpiring. Hiding under the blankets to sneak 5 in and only pay for 1.
Tooting the horn for 15 minutes after every goal.

I miss the local footy, miss a snag in bread and a can of coke. Sitting in the boot smashing tins while yelling at some point 15 year old umpiring. Hiding under the blankets to sneak 5 in and only pay for 1.
Tooting the horn for 15 minutes after every goal.

Late 2019 I moved to Altona right by the local club. Keen to finally take the dog and get down there to watch some games this year.

Late 2019 I moved to Altona right by the local club. Keen to finally take the dog and get down there to watch some games this year.
I live in boronia they play finals at the oval which is right next to my house. My parent's just moved to boronia late 2019 was hoping come finals time 2020 my dad could come along to watch. Unfortunately there was nothing last year hopefully this year we will be able to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back