Toast Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of all the Collingwood players they f’ed off from last year, Phillips is the one my Collingwood supporter mate was angry at the most.
My mate every time I've rubbed in how "I can't believe you let him go for pick 65!"

His short kicking looks ok. Anything longer seems a bit hit and miss. Should have drilled that goal on the run on the weekend with no pressure. Am loving what he is bringing to the table our band of ball winners is deepening. Just need Cuz back in too and all of a sudden JOM and co are going to be able to start impacting games more as they can spread with more confidence about us winning the ball at the contest.

Was probably our best player last week. Loved koschitzke but he was the reason it was down there in the first place and almost nothing got past him the other way. Was a vault defensively.

Was probably our best player last week. Loved koschitzke but he was the reason it was down there in the first place and almost nothing got past him the other way. Was a vault defensively.
Hi guys, Flipper is a great pick up for you guys, well done, Bucks played him out of position last season, quick one, how many reserves games did Dermie play for you guys ? thanks

Have to admit I don't recall seeing Cyril muck up a kick either.
Cyril fluffed a few simple set shots, but when there's no time, he was uncanny, when natural instinct took over, he wouldn't miss. I don't know if people remember the draw against St Kilda because of "blade-of-grass-gate" where the "interchange infraction that wasn't" occurred. Cyril was lining up. Hears a whistle on the wing turns his head to look, and on turning his head back without a second look at the goals he takes a step and slots it.

Hi guys, Flipper is a great pick up for you guys, well done, Bucks played him out of position last season, quick one, how many reserves games did Dermie play for you guys ? thanks
No idea however very little as he got put in the seniors in 02 from memory 6ish games at senior level (so ressies) and never looked back. Not sure how often he went back afterwards but also not sure if previously he been playing.

Cyril fluffed a few simple set shots, but when there's no time, he was uncanny, when natural instinct took over, he wouldn't miss. I don't know if people remember the draw against St Kilda because of "blade-of-grass-gate" where the "interchange infraction that wasn't" occurred. Cyril was lining up. Hears a whistle on the wing turns his head to look, and on turning his head back without a second look at the goals he takes a step and slots it.
Was that when the steward saw that we only had 3x on the interchange bench because X Ellis was running the boundary with a trainer, yet we got pinged anyway?

July, 2010 from memory. When BigBoy took the ball out of the ruck for them & kicked the goal to level it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that when the steward saw that we only had 3x on the interchange bench because X Ellis was running the boundary with a trainer, yet we got pinged anyway?

July, 2010 from memory.
Yes. To make matters worse, two players had come off within 15 seconds. The player running on replaced the first player to come off, but he entered the arend just before the second player came off. So the steward thinks he has run on before the player came off. But the player was already off. The moron explained it away with "there was a blade of grass in it" and lost us the game with his bullshit "look at me mum I'm on tv!" schtick.

No idea however very little as he got put in the seniors in 02 from memory 6ish games at senior level (so ressies) and never looked back. Not sure how often he went back afterwards but also not sure if previously he been playing.
Thanks Zack, just wanted to know how many reserves games " The Kid" played before he made his senior debut

He debuted in the 82 semi against north. Got Andrew Demetriou knocked out by leading him into the path of Leigh Matthews.

Thanks Zack, just wanted to know how many reserves games " The Kid" played before he made his senior debut
As I said I vaguely remember them putting him in the magoos 2 see how he went against men. He was actually an under 19 player at the time and only 18 years old when he debuted in a final in 1982. So it may well have been less games in the reserves. Perhaps far less. I'm pretty sure he played at least one.

The only player who I never saw shank a kick was Darren Jarman.

That man was a freak though when it came to kicking.

Best dual sided kick of a football in my 40+ years of following the game - Dunstall must have licked his lips with Jars streaming through the middle of the ground

The only player who I never saw shank a kick was Darren Jarman.

That man was a freak though when it came to kicking.
I rate Matt Suckling as the best kick ever to play in that he could pull off kicks nobody else can. Not only was he accurate but he could perfectly weigh the kicks, control the speed of the ball and height to clear a player but still be fast enough that the free option isn't closed off.

And he would absolutely shank some so bad they'd dribble 5 meters along the ground. He either kicked it perfectly or shanked badly.

Brad Sewell could miss kick and it would still go in the correct general direction.

On Tom Phillips i must admit that the first time i saw him playing for Collingwood he got a lot of kicks but shanked heaps and i formed the opinion that he was a terrible kick. When we traded for him i saw his highlights and efficiency and thought that he perhaps wasn't that bad. On the weekend he had a few of those familiar turnovers but generally was okay.

I don't expect him to be pulling off line breaking kicks but he should be able use it reliably.

I rate Matt Suckling as the best kick ever to play in that he could pull off kicks nobody else can. Not only was he accurate but he could perfectly weigh the kicks, control the speed of the ball and height to clear a player but still be fast enough that the free option isn't closed off.

And he would absolutely shank some so bad they'd dribble 5 meters along the ground. He either kicked it perfectly or shanked badly.

Brad Sewell could miss kick and it would still go in the correct general direction.

On Tom Phillips i must admit that the first time i saw him playing for Collingwood he got a lot of kicks but shanked heaps and i formed the opinion that he was a terrible kick. When we traded for him i saw his highlights and efficiency and thought that he perhaps wasn't that bad. On the weekend he had a few of those familiar turnovers but generally was okay.

I don't expect him to be pulling off line breaking kicks but he should be able use it reliably.
Agree re Suckling. He could also hit angles no one else could. Incredible kick.

The clubs made some mistakes with scully and patton of late but you can't fault them in paying peanuts for scrimshaw and phillips .

Can't say what we gave up for either Scully or Patton is gonna break the bank. Mature bodies for cheap was the aim, and we got 2 years of semi solid football from Scully at least. About 2 seasons more than the average 4th rounder would play.

Can't say what we gave up for either Scully or Patton is gonna break the bank. Mature bodies for cheap was the aim, and we got 2 years of semi solid football from Scully at least. About 2 seasons more than the average 4th rounder would play.
Sorry but out of Sculley and Patton we got nothing out of Patton and one average to okay year and one terrible year out of Sculley.

I know we didn't pay much for them but one can't really say it was anything other than a failure.

Sorry but out of Sculley and Patton we got nothing out of Patton and one average to okay year and one terrible year out of Sculley.

I know we didn't pay much for them but one can't really say it was anything other than a failure.

Would you consider picking a draftee in the fourth round who never plays a game to be a failure?

Don't judge the decisions by your own expectations of them, judge them against something real.

July, 2010 from memory. When BigBoy took the ball out of the ruck for them & kicked the goal to level it?

And we played freo away in a final instead of at home because of it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back