Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles @Optus Stadium (21.03.21 - 5:10pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fine - I'll do it myself.

Last time they met.

Rowelly dominated to end a Suns 19 game losing streak. 14.6 (90) to 6.10 (46).

Who's in, who's out, who's carrying the water.

This is Whiting's lineup. I expect the same one. Brodie out, Harbrow in.

GOLD COAST

B:
Connor Budarick, Sam Collins, Wil Powell
HB: Jarrod Harbrow, Charlie Ballard, Jack Bowes
C: Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Jack Lukosius
HF: David Swallow, Sam Day, Ben Ainsworth
F: Izak Rankine, Ben King, Alex Sexton
Foll: Jarrod Witts, Matt Rowell, Touk Miller
I/C: Oleg Markov, Lachie Weller, Noah Anderson, Darcy Macpherson
EMERG: Caleb Graham, Will Brodie, Brayden Fiorini, Chris Burgess

NEW: Oleg Markov
UNAVAILABLE: Rory Atkins (foot), Elijah Hollands (knee), Rory Thompson (knee)

NOTES: Stuart Dew has two tough decisions to make ahead of the opening round against West Coast. With Rankine expected to return from a tweaked ankle, one midfielder/forward must be left out from an impressive batch. Brodie would be incredibly stiff after 25 touches against Brisbane and a super pre-season, but Macpherson's harassing pressure might just give him the edge. It would be harsh on Brodie though. The other tough call is whether to play three tall defenders against the Eagles' potent forward line, but if the pressure is good, Bowes and Powell should be able to cover, giving veteran Harbrow the final spot after a good pre-season. - Michael Whiting

Expecting to line up with 2 key backs. (Collins & Ballard) Ballard on Kennedy, Collins on Darling.
Liam Ryan to run a muck since we have no one at his level to guard defensively. Powell probably run with him.
Expecting Noah Anderson to run with Gaffy all day, he has a very high endurance level.

Been very nice weather in Perth so would expect it to be dry yet again. Eagles will continue to play their normal uncontested marking style of possession. We need to play quick and move the ball centrally and away from McGovern. Speed will be the key to the game, we got to use Markov, Budarick, Harbrow, Powell as much as we can to catapult off half back.

Hurn, Witherden, Cole, Nelson aren't the quickest so Rankine, Ainsworth, Weller, Sexton need to use that speed. We need to be accurate too, put that scoreboard pressure on early. Last time we played at Optus, we let West Coast get a 7 goal lead in the 2nd quarter and we managed to fight back to 2 goals with only a little bit left to blow out to 4. Round 1 anything can happen, hoping we do better than last years Round 1 performance.

My Predicted Line Up:

FB: 3. J. Bowes, 25. S. Collins, 5. J. Harbrow
HB: 17. O. Markov (Debut), 10. C. Ballard, 27. W. Powell
C: 4. B. Ellis, 1. H. Greenwood, 13. J. Lukosius
HF: 14. L. Weller, 12. S. Day, 9. B. Ainsworth
FF: 22. I. Rankine, 34. B. King, 6. A. Sexton
R: 28. J. Witts, 11. T. Miller, 18. M. Rowell

I: 7. W. Brodie, 15. N. Anderson, 24. D. Swallow, 35. C. Budarick

EMG: 19. J. Corbett, 22. S. Lemmens, 44. D. Macpherson, 46. C. Graham

Prediction: Hopefully Suns win, but i'll go with the home advantage and say Eagles by 12.

I don’t see how Brodie doesn’t make it after the pre-season he’s had. Hasn’t put a foot wrong. Would definitely have him in over Macpherson.

And I love Harbs, but he is not best 22. The amount of times he put us under pressure with poor decisions and disposal in the second half against Brisbane when we needed a leader to step up in the backline and calm things down was telling. Club legend, but would be more influential in the VFL squad.

I was watching some of Elliot Yeo's highlights on Youtube last night. He is an awesome player to be cursed with OP. 27yo 190cm powerful midfielder who can do it all, (2x All Australian, 1x B&F), Hopefully our own Noah Anderson who is similar build and traits can turn into an A grader too.

I don’t see how Brodie doesn’t make it after the pre-season he’s had. Hasn’t put a foot wrong. Would definitely have him in over Macpherson.

And I love Harbs, but he is not best 22. The amount of times he put us under pressure with poor decisions and disposal in the second half against Brisbane when we needed a leader to step up in the backline and calm things down was telling. Club legend, but would be more influential in the VFL squad.
Agree with your thoughts, Dewy' may want to go with some experience down back since if you take him out Ballard/Bowes is next up at 60 games

Hi everyone, fantasy question here. How has Will Brodie been going over this pre-season? He looks to have impressed many over the two practice games, and I was wondering if you consider him to be in your rd 1 side. Obviously some talk already in this thread about him, but I haven't come to a very definitive conclusion.

Thanks in advance!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi everyone, fantasy question here. How has Will Brodie been going over this pre-season? He looks to have impressed many over the two practice games, and I was wondering if you consider him to be in your rd 1 side. Obviously some talk already in this thread about him, but I haven't come to a very definitive conclusion.

Thanks in advance!
His price and job security is probably to much of a risk mate. He is still fringe best 22 and with decent competition for spots I wouldn't see him being a highly safe choice

Agreed. He’s done everything asked and I think that should be rewarded. I think we’ll go alright in this one. Round 1 always throws up so surprises

Radical move.....Touk tags Liam Ryan. No one else can do it, certainly not Harbs or Bud.

This is Whiting's lineup. I expect the same one. Brodie out, Harbrow in.

GOLD COAST

B:
Connor Budarick, Sam Collins, Wil Powell
HB: Jarrod Harbrow, Charlie Ballard, Jack Bowes
C: Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Jack Lukosius
HF: David Swallow, Sam Day, Ben Ainsworth
F: Izak Rankine, Ben King, Alex Sexton
Foll: Jarrod Witts, Matt Rowell, Touk Miller
I/C: Oleg Markov, Lachie Weller, Noah Anderson, Darcy Macpherson
EMERG: Caleb Graham, Will Brodie, Brayden Fiorini, Chris Burgess

NEW: Oleg Markov
UNAVAILABLE: Rory Atkins (foot), Elijah Hollands (knee), Rory Thompson (knee)

NOTES: Stuart Dew has two tough decisions to make ahead of the opening round against West Coast. With Rankine expected to return from a tweaked ankle, one midfielder/forward must be left out from an impressive batch. Brodie would be incredibly stiff after 25 touches against Brisbane and a super pre-season, but Macpherson's harassing pressure might just give him the edge. It would be harsh on Brodie though. The other tough call is whether to play three tall defenders against the Eagles' potent forward line, but if the pressure is good, Bowes and Powell should be able to cover, giving veteran Harbrow the final spot after a good pre-season. - Michael Whiting
For me out goes Day and Macpherson

in Rankine and Burgess

PA Hospital in Brisbane in lockdown due to a staff member tested positive for covid, possibly infectious while in community, tracing under way.

Let's see what WA Mark McGowan will do. We may not fly to Perth.

Witts getting nic nat before we ride him into the ground will help, very tough game. Hopefully we can keep the ball inside without shuey or yeo extracting it for them. They have a very tough backline for our inexperienced fwds, gonna be a very tough test first up but historically we do start the season well

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has Luko's role changed this year? last year he was one of the best at metre gained in that Half Back role however it seems he's going to be more wing this year? is that the correct assessment?

Yeah, looks that way, especially with Markov in the team.

imagine those precision passes into the forward line. Getting a little sweaty over here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back